Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.

TPMS Update... (properly fixed)

Old 06-19-2007, 12:49 AM
Jens07stang
1st Gear Member

Default RE: TPMS Update...r (properly fixed)

ORIGINAL: mAnYsTyLeS

Hi Jen,

It will be 16 dollars for the bands and brackets only (per wheel), American Muscle does not include the sensors. You will then have to buy new sensors for your new wheels since you're using the original sensors in the snow wheels. You might be able to find aftermarket sensorsfor around 50 or 60 bucks (plus $16x4 for new bands and brackets ONLY if they fit the aftermarket sensors - if not, you have to find bands and brackets that work with your new system) or you can pay $120 per wheel for Ford's senser and band kit - which I would never do. Every time you switch your wheels, you will have to have your computer recalibrated so that it can recognize which sensors are in.

I don't know what I would do in your situationbecause I don't drive my car in the snow or ice (I only use one set of wheels). I'm thinking I would just deal with the error message for the winter and then drive error free in the summer. I would try to avoid the dealer at all costs though. I'm not sure which aftermarket company carries a system that is compatible with our computer.

Also, if they make an aftermarket sensor that attaches to the valve stem, then I would definitely get thatone before the banded one. It's SOOOOOO much easier to install the valve and you don't have to remove the tire. Hope this helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.

G
Last winter I payed my Ford dealer $10.95 per each of two rear snow tires mounted and balanced. Thats going to continue to be my best bet. Otherwise I'd keep the sensors off in the winter, as you suggested, but I'll be holding off for now. Its a love hate relationship with those darn sensors.
Old 08-01-2007, 11:02 PM
dalbert
1st Gear Member

If I buy TPMS sensors and mounting and balancing on a tire and wheel package from the tirerack.com, will the TPMS warning light go away when I get the new wheels and tires installed by an auto shop? Or do I have to use my old sensors that I have on my stock rims now?

My stock rims are only 17 inches....I want bigger rims and I dont want to be stuck with having to buy aftermarket 17's.
Old 08-02-2007, 06:42 AM
Scotty07
3rd Gear Member

I don't worry about it. I always turn off the traction control when I start the car so I just push the reset button to clear the TPMS at the same time. Much easier than the hassel of replacing the TPMS sensors.
Old 08-02-2007, 07:27 AM
Maddog52
1st Gear Member

Thanks for posting this information. I just acquired some 20's, and it would personally drive me nuts if I got that alarm everytime.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:10 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

I have my old rims/tires sitting in my garage and i still haven't gotten the error yet. Then again i haven't taken any really long rides since i got my new rims/tires on but i'm hoping that it just keeps picking up the sensors in my old wheels everytime i go back in the garage.
Old 08-02-2007, 04:19 PM
Derf00
6th Gear Member

Default RE: TPMS Update... (properly fixed)

All 2007 and newer cars will have this system and if you change your wheels without putting your oldsensors back on, you will get a warning light and sound from your computer. Mine said TPMS failure and/or Tire Pressure Low.

After a lot of research andterrible advice and servicefrom Discount Tire, I finally got everything fixed properly at a local tire & wheel shop.

To transfer your old sensors to your new wheels you will have to purchase universal bands AND brackets from American Muscle.Com. It comes out to about 60 bucks. Instead of 200 from Ford. You take the old brackets off of your old sensors and mount them to the NEW American Muscle brackets. 3M tape needs to be applied to the bracket before it is placed on the rim and then you tighten the band around the rim and then lock the thread with Loc-tite (for extrasecurity measures). The metal band looks exactly like what we put around our intake hoses and sh*t. The shop also put a littleduct-tape around part of the band for extra-extra security measures. He then went ahead and re-balanced my tires (which did not come properly balanced from Discount Tire to begin with) so it's good I went through this stupid process. If I were you people, I would get this checked out as well.

Once all the bands are secured to the rim and the tires are mounted, filled with air and re-balanced....the warningmessage will dissapear by itself (if you used the original sensors). If you didn'tuse your original sensors, then you have to go to Ford after the above process and have them recalibrateyour computer system for your new sensors.

Bottom line is,my sensors are in my new rims and tightly secured (even more than how they were from the factory) and mywheels are PROPERLY balanced.If you haveANY questionsabout TPMS, let me know because I've been through hell and back and know more thanmost dealers and service stations. Take care!

PS: The sensors last from 5-10 years....so you will eventually have to do this again.....[&o]

G
Good info for those having problems! Should be a sticky..

Oh, and I would think most would know that Discount doesn't know squat in many cases. They tried to tell me Mustang GT's 99-04 had 17x7" rims not 17x8 and then tried to sell me rims that were FWD offset instead of RWD.
Old 08-03-2007, 11:47 AM
CataclysmGT
4th Gear Member

+1 for someone else who is just going to ignore the dash light, and reset the message everytime I drive. My winter wheels (stockers) will have the TPMS, but my new summer (20" Black Saleens') will not, as I am not willing to deal with all the BS that goes with em. Much nicer to check pressures on the summer tires, since you know, its warm out. :P
Old 08-03-2007, 12:03 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

3M tape needs to be applied to the bracket before it is placed on the rim and then you tighten the band around the rim and then lock the thread with Loc-tite (for extrasecurity measures). The metal band looks exactly like what we put around our intake hoses and sh*t. The shop also put a littleduct-tape around part of the band for extra-extra security measures.
Want to have some real fun have Discount tire nock one of the sensors off your wheel and leave it in the tire for ya[:@]. Nothing better then going 65 mph and thinking the car is gonna fly apart!