Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Car Show

Old 06-20-2007, 02:18 AM
allj
2nd Gear Member

Default First Car Show

My wife has convinced me to show my recently completed car at a local show this weekend. I have been to many shows but never a participant.Any pointers or advice you can share would be apprenticed.
Old 06-20-2007, 02:48 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: First Car Show

I'd say most important of all, have it as clean as possible. I've seen waaay too many extremely clean vehicles beat really badass vehicles in their class. A friend of mine proves this year after year. He has an 01 S-10 with a couple minitrucker mods (lowered, rims, body matched components) but nothing drastic like air ride or a body kit. However, you could eat off of almost any surface on it. He regularly beats out trucks that are otherwise Minitruckin' magazine quality because they have filthy engine bays. Roll that bad boy up on ramps, wash down under it be sure to clean the rocker panels good, wipe out the wheel wells, if you have time, wipe out the inside of the wheels where all the brake dust collects, and take some time under the hood. As far as interior, a good vacuum job and dusting off is usually sufficient. My advise is to get a little box and keep tire gel, detailing mist, glass cleaner, and a few towels in there. Clean the windows, gel the tires, and do a quick detail with the mist once you get to the show. Most importantly, have fun! It's not all about the trophy, it's about just having fun hanging out with fellow car lovers.
Old 06-20-2007, 04:07 AM
rmays06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: stangdude81

I'd say most important of all, have it as clean as possible. I've seen waaay too many extremely clean vehicles beat really badass vehicles in their class. A friend of mine proves this year after year. He has an 01 S-10 with a couple minitrucker mods (lowered, rims, body matched components) but nothing drastic like air ride or a body kit. However, you could eat off of almost any surface on it. He regularly beats out trucks that are otherwise Minitruckin' magazine quality because they have filthy engine bays. Roll that bad boy up on ramps, wash down under it be sure to clean the rocker panels good, wipe out the wheel wells, if you have time, wipe out the inside of the wheels where all the brake dust collects, and take some time under the hood. As far as interior, a good vacuum job and dusting off is usually sufficient. My advise is to get a little box and keep tire gel, detailing mist, glass cleaner, and a few towels in there. Clean the windows, gel the tires, and do a quick detail with the mist once you get to the show. Most importantly, have fun! It's not all about the trophy, it's about just having fun hanging out with fellow car lovers.
+1 great write up here. Man you will meet some great people. Have fun and take something away from the first one. OH BTW clean, clean, clean too!
Old 06-20-2007, 04:15 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

clean right before u go to the show and bring some touch up stuff with you. when u park clean up any bug marks from the drive. the last one i was at i was parked next to a gt500(new) and i got me looks, complements then he did. his car looked like it wasnt washed in ages.
Old 06-20-2007, 08:02 AM
TPony
6th Gear Member

The thing that you will enjoy the most is people drooling about your Stang, taking pictures and all...it would make you feel like a pround papa...
Old 06-20-2007, 10:00 AM
1BADD05
3rd Gear Member

After just winning Best of Show I can tell you for sure Number 1 priority is "PAY ATTENTION TO DETAIL"! Try to think of all the things you would never think of cleaning and clean them!
Old 06-20-2007, 11:01 AM
Va. Stang
3rd Gear Member

What everybody said..clean, clean, clean! I spent a coupleor three evenings cleaning everything. Pulled wheels, every crack in the engine bay should beclean,even lower hoses and supension seen thru engine bay. Don't forget inside the door well at the hinges.
Is it going to be a scored show using interior, engine bay and exterior paintfor scoresand the same judges for everyone.Or just judging for the ones they like the best. I have seen where the local club sponsering the show picks all their buds cars for the top places. I went to a central Va. mustang show and could not make top 40. But a 64VW not washed with a stick holding up the engine hood placed. I will only enter paper scored shows. ButI do love to go just to check out all the greatrides. Goog Luck!.
Old 06-20-2007, 11:11 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

yea, some club sponsored shows suck, all their buddies win and you worked and donated your entry fee for nothing. I've even seen some shows where the club putting it on only allows it's members to display, not compete in the show.
Old 06-20-2007, 12:24 PM
Leoleo
3rd Gear Member

Clean, clean, clean. Have fun. You will met realy nice people, most of the time. Walk around and just talk cars. Take pics. I have a 07 GT 5 spd, Vista Blue. No mods just, but it always gets looks, and people will always ask questions. It's a bunch of people for like cars. The shows I have been in, are judged by votes from the people in the show. And there are always more non members of the local club then memebers.
It has always been a good time, even if I don't win. FUN!
Old 06-20-2007, 01:17 PM
dly
1st Gear Member

Ditto on cleaning the engine compartment. I entered my 1st show last weekend in Fort Wayne, In. There were 9 Mustangs in my class. The club members put their cars off to the side and weren't entered. Several cars had dust and dirt all over their engines. The guynext to me used half a bottle of Tire magic on his tires and covered the black top around his car. I got 2nd place and was a little disappointed in the judging. The guy took all of 3 minutes looking at each car. I have taken off my tires and cleaned in the wheel wells before the show and set my trunk up with a Helmet, Tool kit, 1st aid kit and a gym bag with my Club logo on it. The judge never looked into my trunk. But I had fun and was surprise to win. Enjoy.

dly 07 Black GT/CS

[IMG]local://upfiles/40386/7176A2D3BE244798A3F864E69B3E6958.jpg[/IMG]

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: First Car Show