Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Pypes Violators noise??

Search this Thread

Old 06-21-2007, 12:47 AM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Default Pypes Violators noise??

I just installed a set of Pypes Violators on my 07 GT a couple days ago. Besides the alignment issues that I've found answers to thanks to some people on here, I also have a wierd noise. At lower RPM's, around cruising speed, it sounds like like a buzzing coming from the rear end. almost like metal on metal vibration. When parked, I have yet been able to reproduce the noise, and it comes and goes. It will be VERY loud right around 1500 RPMs to the point I'm embarassed for someone to hear me drive by. If I give it gas, it goes away, and comes back when the RPM's come back down. If I give it a few miles, it will go away again. I was wondering if anyone else has had this? I guess I need to get under there and quadruple check that everything is tight, I double checked everything before we lowered it off of the stands, but who knows....
Old 06-21-2007, 02:36 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Pypes Violators noise??

anyone else have funny noises with their violators?
Old 06-21-2007, 03:06 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

It'snot drone? Kinda sounds like it by your description.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:01 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

no, this is in addition to the drone. As far as describing the noise, you know when a ghetto cruiser goes by with the stereo bumping and you hear that vibration of the trunk panels? It's a similar noise, but not to a beat, just steady for that RPM range.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:14 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

Make sure that the hangers are not anywhere near the body of the car. They can vibrate at certain rpm's while moving and hit the body. Even if they look like they have clearance, they still move around.
Old 06-21-2007, 06:51 PM
stangdude81
2nd Gear Member

ah, good idea, I did have to cut one a little shorter because it was hitting the impact bumper, maybe it's still too close. And I just got back from driving in it, I'm going to change my description of the sound. It sounds more like a rattling heat shield than anything. I had a similar sound on my truck when the heat shield busted a weld and was vibrating on the pipe. It didn't start until I got these mufflers, I don't know if there is anything inside the muffler that could be making this noise or not. I will check the hangers though.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:38 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Stangdude, I was trying to think of what that would be. A rattle at that rpm made me think of "heat shield" first of all butthey wouldn't be in your area where you putthe Violators on. (And I would think the heat shield sound would be in the front of the car, anyway.) I would think a loose clamp would get louder as you increased rpm's past 1500. The Pypes guy recommended an air rachet instead of biceps strength for the clamps!One possiblething is maybe the jackstands"stretched" a weld somewhere. Hey, it happens! As Aziraphale mentioned, the hangers can make noise when they touch, I didn't have to cut mine, though. The way these mufflers are made, it doesn't look like there are any chambers that could break off and rattle. Let us know what works!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:45 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: stangdude81

I just installed a set of Pypes Violators on my 07 GT a couple days ago. Besides the alignment issues that I've found answers to thanks to some people on here, I also have a wierd noise. At lower RPM's, around cruising speed, it sounds like like a buzzing coming from the rear end. almost like metal on metal vibration. When parked, I have yet been able to reproduce the noise, and it comes and goes. It will be VERY loud right around 1500 RPMs to the point I'm embarassed for someone to hear me drive by. If I give it gas, it goes away, and comes back when the RPM's come back down. If I give it a few miles, it will go away again. I was wondering if anyone else has had this? I guess I need to get under there and quadruple check that everything is tight, I double checked everything before we lowered it off of the stands, but who knows....
I think it's a design flaw of the Violators. That buzzing sounds that sounds like a heat shield is probably a panel INSIDE the muffler that is vibrating. I have a pair of Violators on my V6 with a full exhaust system by them. I get the same buzz from time to time. I have at least1/2" clearance all the way around everything.

The other thing it could be is the resonating frequency of the mufflers may be the same as the trunk metal. Meaning when the violator hits it's 'sweet' spot with the drone, it's the right frequency to vibrate certain parts of the trunk. I get a metal rattle from my trunk area/buzz at about the same RPM you do. I'm planning on adding some sound deading to my trunk and rubberized coating under the rear area to see if that will kill it. If it doesn't then it's a design 'flaw' of the muffler.
Old 06-21-2007, 08:52 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Wow Derfthat's wild. Do you guy's have autos? I don't get any sound like that. I'll look for it next time I'm in the car, but I honestly don't spend much time at 1500, especially since I installed a Hurst short shifter!
Old 06-21-2007, 08:53 PM
trailblazer

Have same set up on my 07 but not having vibration noise.I did not cut anything when installing.

Quick Reply: Pypes Violators noise??