Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transbrake on 5r55s

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 07:49 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

Default Transbrake on 5r55s

Can the stock 5r55s tranny handle a transbrake and launching at 4000 or so RPMs? I know there's definite stress on the rearend launching high but axles and a differential are already on my list of things to upgrade. I'm wanting the ability to launch higher and the transbrake seems to be the perfect solution.

Does anyone make a transbrake for the 5r55s tranny?

My plan is, with my current mods, to get a line lock for doing burnouts, transbrake for launching, and some suspension work to handle the launches. Also on this list is the rearend upgrades I mentioned before.

A stall converter will give me higher launch RPMs but since i'm no where near finished modding, I don't want to get a stall and then have to buy another one or have the one I buy modified to accomodate the new mods (supercharger may be in my future once the warranty period is up).
Old 06-23-2007, 08:26 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Transbrake on 5r55s

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

Can the stock 5r55s tranny handle a transbrake and launching at 4000 or so RPMs? I know there's definite stress on the rearend launching high but axles and a differential are already on my list of things to upgrade. I'm wanting the ability to launch higher and the transbrake seems to be the perfect solution.

Does anyone make a transbrake for the 5r55s tranny?

My plan is, with my current mods, to get a line lock for doing burnouts, transbrake for launching, and some suspension work to handle the launches. Also on this list is the rearend upgrades I mentioned before.

A stall converter will give me higher launch RPMs but since i'm no where near finished modding, I don't want to get a stall and then have to buy another one or have the one I buy modified to accomodate the new mods (supercharger may be in my future once the warranty period is up).
Not to cause a stir.... But a tranny brake as well as other things along those lines will void a warranty easily. Remember, the dealer only has to say that it caused the problem and thats the end of your warranty. No dealer Ive seen is going to be cool with a tranny brake.

As I've said numerous times before, the law means nothing when it comes to voiding warranties because laws are only enforced through court. People don't take dealers to court often, and you probably won't either.

So what im saying is install whatever you want, AND the supercharger, and forget about the warranty. You're here to play, aren't you?
Old 06-23-2007, 09:25 PM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

I'm definitely here to play but a transbrake will only void the tranny warranty...not the engine warranty which is what i'm mainly concerned with keeping. Besides, it'll take me a while to save up for a SC and install so i'm not worried about that now.

I asked if the transbrake will hurt the tranny, not if it'll void a warranty. Thanks for your concern.
Old 06-23-2007, 11:09 PM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

No one makes a trans brake for the 5R55 and I doubt if anyone ever will. For what you are talking about doing you will need to swap out the trans for a built 4R70W, C4, or C6.

Earl
Old 06-24-2007, 03:46 AM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: TheDarkPath

I'm definitely here to play but a transbrake will only void the tranny warranty...not the engine warranty which is what i'm mainly concerned with keeping. Besides, it'll take me a while to save up for a SC and install so i'm not worried about that now.

I asked if the transbrake will hurt the tranny, not if it'll void a warranty. Thanks for your concern.
Very nice times considering your mods, did u used DR´s in the 12.9 run ? [:-]
Old 06-25-2007, 10:12 AM
forensicsteve
4th Gear Member

My racingtransmission is based upon the 4R70W. It has transbrake, OD, Lockout, and 4000 stall TC. It's rated at 900 hp.It's a 3 speed manual automatic. Haven't used the transbrake and it's a ways from being track ready but I can't imagine a stock tranny handling the stress for very long. There are other factors too... for every second the transbrake is depressed the transmission oil temp rises 60 degrees F. Then if your tranny survives, it'spossible your stock rearend will go bye-bye under the load, especially with all those extra horses you're planning on getting. Just my 2 cents.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:13 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: MexGT

Very nice times considering your mods, did u used DR´s in the 12.9 run ? [:-]
The 12.9 run was done on street tires. I have some DRs but I haven't figured out the right air pressure yet because so for I've either spun (too much air) or bogged (not enough air). I think the spinning may also be due to not getting a good enough burnout in. I'll be getting line locks soon to fix that issue.
Old 06-25-2007, 11:31 AM
TheDarkPath
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: forensicsteve

My racingtransmission is based upon the 4R70W. It has transbrake, OD, Lockout, and 4000 stall TC. It's rated at 900 hp.It's a 3 speed manual automatic. Haven't used the transbrake and it's a ways from being track ready but I can't imagine a stock tranny handling the stress for very long. There are other factors too... for every second the transbrake is depressed the transmission oil temp rises 60 degrees F. Then if your tranny survives, it'spossible your stock rearend will go bye-bye under the load, especially with all those extra horses you're planning on getting. Just my 2 cents.
That's one serious setup you have there. I'm far from figuring out what direction I want to go with the car. I'm thinking in the next year or so, I'd like to get a Whipple SC (non-intercooled). Before I upgrade to the HO intercooled kit, I'd want to upgrade the tranny, axles, differential, and rotating assembly. Suspension will be done before the SC.
Old 06-26-2007, 01:55 PM
2005mach1
4th Gear Member

I just got a new 5.0 magazine and the have a article about a beef-up kit for 5r55
The company is called level 10 - no transbrake but a good beef-up
web site is level10.com or levelten.com can't remember which
Old 06-27-2007, 10:14 AM
2005mach1
4th Gear Member

Sorry, check web site after I posted no info on site yet