Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Got a problem..need some suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2007, 09:18 PM
meekstro
2nd Gear Member

Default Got a problem..need some suggestions

Alright fellows, I just got some new wheels and tires off ebay from a shop out of Atlanta. Well the wheels are suppose to come mounted and balanced. When I got them I put them on and everything looked good, but when I drive a get a severe shake through my steering at 45 mph and higher. I took it to a prefessional mechanic got it balanced and realiegn but still shaking like crazy. My question is what else could possibly be the problem. My car is brand new 2000 miles on it. Oh yeah the wheels are the new foose hornets and 295/30/20 toyo in the back and 255 up front. They do look bad ***!! Any help would be great!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:32 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Got a problem..need some suggestions

what's throwing me off, is that the wheels are now balanced
and the front end is aligned, yet you still have shaking.....i can't
imagine what is happening at this point.

ORIGINAL: meekstro

Alright fellows, I just got some new wheels and tires off ebay from a shop out of Atlanta. Well the wheels are suppose to come mounted and balanced. When I got them I put them on and everything looked good, but when I drive a get a severe shake through my steering at 45 mph and higher. I took it to a prefessional mechanic got it balanced and realiegn but still shaking like crazy. My question is what else could possibly be the problem. My car is brand new 2000 miles on it. Oh yeah the wheels are the new foose hornets and 295/30/20 toyo in the back and 255 up front. They do look bad ***!! Any help would be great!
Old 06-23-2007, 09:37 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

belt rim....i would assume that the "professional mechanic" could see that though....take it to a discount tire or something let them look at it....also return to the stock wheels to see if it is the wheels for sure.
Old 06-23-2007, 09:53 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

When you removed the stock wheels, did you check to see if these retainer clips were there, and if so, did you remove them before you put the new wheels on???

Mike

[IMG]local://upfiles/13557/C76E2683C7164C009519543DC8299C3B.jpg[/IMG]
Old 06-23-2007, 09:54 PM
GT_Stang
3rd Gear Member

take them to a better place. i got 22's on my 300c and it use to shake a lot but after i rebalanced them there good
Old 06-23-2007, 09:54 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

There are two ways to dynamically balance tires: the old quick way or with a "roadforce balance" machine that will detect rim runout and also direct the technician to rotate the tire on the rim to get the roadforce down to as low a number as possible (I think for example GM allows 25 lbs of roadforce for a passenger car, if the number could not be attained by "force-matching" the tire to the rim the tire was considered defective and replaced under warranty). Ask your mechanic if he roadforce-balanced the tires and if he didn't or doesn't have the machine for it, you might want to find someone who does before you go through the trouble of sending everything back. During my time at Chevy I roadforce balanced many a tire (and I was trying so hard to forget those days!) and it resolved the customer's complaint of vibration.

Richie
Old 06-23-2007, 10:58 PM
Cobrakev
3rd Gear Member

Can I ask which shop in Atlanta you got them from?
Old 06-23-2007, 11:09 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

What mlcryccsaid, Retainer clips. Unless your wheels are cut out for the clips you will get a bad clunk and vibration if not removed.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:32 PM
meekstro
2nd Gear Member

so you dont want the retainer clips on? I didnt notice them at all when i switched from the stock to these. I got these wheels and tires from Bones Enterprise off of ebay. Appreciate the help guys. Im gonna go see whats up with these clips. I hope it is something that simple.
Old 06-24-2007, 01:57 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

When my new wheels were put on they left the clips on and I had no problems...i did remove the clips when i did the brakes though.

Quick Reply: Got a problem..need some suggestions