Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coronado Speed Festival, Oct. 6-7 San Diego

Search this Thread

Old 06-25-2007, 01:49 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Default Coronado Speed Festival, Oct. 6-7 San Diego

So here's the deal, for those who don't know about this:

Every year for the past 10 years, the city of Coronado in San Diego holds what is known as the Coronado Speed Festival at the Naval Air Station North Island, in conjunction with Fleet Week San Diego.

Vintage racing from the 30's up to the 70's goes on, with guys going full tilt in wheel-to-wheel racing in Ferraris, Porsches, Allards, Corvettes, GT500s, and the original GT40 race cars. One of the best parts of this is that you can actually walk through the pits and get RIGHT UP to these cars, look at the setups, talk to the drivers (in some cases, famous names like Vic Edelbrock Jr. or his daughter!) and learn a lot of the history of these cars. Free pit tours go on twice a day, where the drivers themselves walk you through the pits, talking about these cars as well...If you can go, DEFINITELY go.

I've gone for the past 2 years, and it gets better every year...

And they've had Meguiar's sponsoring a Car Club Corral every year as well, where car clubs can come in and park their classics as well as not-so-classics in groups. I'd be interested in getting a group together for us, but I'd need to get an idea of how many people would be interested in going to this in order to get passes into the event.

Tickets are $25 per person for a 1 day ticket if purchased in advance, or $30/person for 2 days (advance purchase). If you choose to buy a ticket there the day of the event, it's $30 per person for 1 day tickets. (Obviously, I'd recommend buying a 2 day ticket).

If we can get more than 10 cars together to go, we can park in the Car Club Corral, right up next to the track, and get to show off your cars to others who will bring in their cars as well.

Anyone interested? I know it's early to be bringing this up, as it's several months away, but the sooner we can get the information in to the offices for how many cars to expect in the Car Corral, the better (more clubs are filling up the area every year, so space can be limited).

For more info, click here:

http://www.fleetweeksandiego.org/cor...val/index.html

Old 06-25-2007, 02:15 AM
sdsguy
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Coronado Speed Festival, Oct. 6-7 San Diego

i'm down for it. do you know if they let us race tooo?
Old 06-25-2007, 02:28 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sdsguy

i'm down for it. do you know if they let us race tooo?
Not unless you are invited...You have to have a vintage race car, and it has to meet all sorts of safety specs. But, you DO get to see some, quite literally, million dollar cars out there racing.

Last year, we saw a 1960's era Ferarri out there just SCREAMING around the track, and a Cheetah, which was REALLY awesome...The Ferrari, they estimated, was a little over a million dollars, and the guy who was driving it was NOT babying it at ALL.

Old 06-25-2007, 10:59 AM
dodgers
1st Gear Member

Hey Doug count me in, I will be working this event with my shopWLB Racing, we build vintage Porsche 911s &914/6s. We will probably have a couple cars down there for the event. I dont have to work it if I choose not too, could get you guys up close to see what it takes to run an "OLD" car in these events
Old 06-25-2007, 03:14 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: dodgers

Hey Doug count me in, I will be working this event with my shopWLB Racing, we build vintage Porsche 911s &914/6s. We will probably have a couple cars down there for the event. I dont have to work it if I choose not too, could get you guys up close to see what it takes to run an "OLD" car in these events
I'll be down there lookin' for ya, then. I have the greatest respect for the guys who race some of these old cars like this...Watching some of those Jaguar C & D types out there racing, the Lotuses, even one of 6 existing all aluminum Jaguar E-Types barreling around, not to mention the Shelbys that run...
Old 06-26-2007, 03:42 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

bump
Old 09-04-2007, 09:17 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

I know I'm reviving a semi-old thread, but...

If there's any interest in this event, we can get a parking area in the Car Club Corral for Mustangs. Anyone interested?
Old 09-25-2007, 10:25 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

This event is next weekend, Oct. 6-7; Anyone interested in going? Anyone?

"Bueller...Bueller...Bueller..."
Old 09-26-2007, 03:15 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

Anyone else besides myself and rrobello going? ANYONE?