Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Torque Wrench

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-2007, 12:15 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

Default Torque Wrench

Im very new to working on cars. My 07 Stang is the first new/nice car Ive ever owned and I want to work on it myself. So Im building my tool collection up and Im ready to buy a torque wrench. Problem is I have no idea what to get; there are different sizes and kindswith prices ranging from20 to 200 dollars. Do you guys reccommend a specific brand/size/model?

My first intended use is to take my wheels off and put them back on, so I can paint my calipers. I read the ole arm crank-o-meter is insuffient for that.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:30 PM
Fourth Horseman
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Torque Wrench

I have two that I bought from Sears that I've had for years. One is inch-pounds and is smaller, one is foot-pounds and larger. There are certainly better tools out there, but these have served me well and never given my any problems. I've used them both extensively when working on my cars, but I use the big one most often for tightening lug nuts. Very handy and a good investment.
Old 06-27-2007, 12:41 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I've never used a torque wrench.

Also, my new intake manifold leaked on my Jaguar, and my new lower control arms clunk on my Mustang.

In other words, a torque wrench is a nice investment.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:06 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Starting with the cheapest is the needle guage type - the main bar of the torque wrench flexes, and there's a needle guage on the side that takes the deflection and gives torque readings. These will do in a pinch, but in my experience they aren't terribly accurate and will eventually get out of whack.

Next is the standard clicker type, set the torque value you want, and it will click when you reach it. This is what I use, I use a Craftsman that was somewhere around $80. 3/8" drive tends to be the most versatile. This is what I'd suggest. Good enough to last and be accurate, but not breaking the bank.

The super high-end digital ones are overkill for most of us, I've been using a standard clicker type all my life.

And remember, a torque wrench is not a breaker bar, get a breaker bar if you need one (or a pipe over the handle of a standard ratchet). Using a torque wrench that way isn't good for it.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:27 PM
06GT4RAD
5th Gear Member

Unlike Fourth Horseman I have had terrible luck with the 1/2" Drive Craftsman Torque wrenches absolute junk in my opinion. I went through 3 of them in a two year period thankfully they replaced them under warranty and when the current one broke I said screw this and Purchased a Snap On. I purchased a Large 1/2" Drive that goes up to 250 Ft. Lbs and then i also purchased a 1/4" Drive Inch Lbs. I say spend the money on a good one such as Snap On, Matco, or Mac. I do have a 3/8" Craftsman that seems to be holding up but it is a different design than the 1/2" Drives i had. If your going to go Craftsman get the one that has the pullout adjustment **** at the very bottom of the Wrench those seem to last. Not bashing Craftsman after all I own a lot of their hand tools.

Richard

Old 06-27-2007, 01:41 PM
WhoMe
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: A_J

Starting with the cheapest is the needle guage type - the main bar of the torque wrench flexes, and there's a needle guage on the side that takes the deflection and gives torque readings. These will do in a pinch, but in my experience they aren't terribly accurate and will eventually get out of whack.

Next is the standard clicker type, set the torque value you want, and it will click when you reach it. This is what I use, I use a Craftsman that was somewhere around $80. 3/8" drive tends to be the most versatile. This is what I'd suggest. Good enough to last and be accurate, but not breaking the bank.

The super high-end digital ones are overkill for most of us, I've been using a standard clicker type all my life.

And remember, a torque wrench is not a breaker bar, get a breaker bar if you need one (or a pipe over the handle of a standard ratchet). Using a torque wrench that way isn't good for it.
Thanks guys for thesuggestions and information! I really appriciate it. I was just overwhelmed when I ran a check on Sear's website and 64 matches came up, all different specs and prices. So far this one fit my lug nut tightening needs and my price range. http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

The 3/8 size of the same wrench only torques to 75 ft lbs...from what I understand I need to torque the lugs to 100 ft lbs.

Im looking into the Snap-On options as we speak.
Old 06-27-2007, 01:49 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

As stated above do not get the beam type torque wrench, they just suck in general and are a pain in the *** to use.
The click-type torque wrenches are nice. I have a 1/2" drive craftsman that Ive had for 7+ years with no problems. The key is getting a nice impact resistant case for it, so it doesnt get messed up by gettin knocked around and such.
The other is a 3/8" drive inch pound wrench, that I hardly ever use. Had that on for a good number of years also.

The snap on one is really nice, but its also REALLY expensive. The only thing I ever buy from snap on is the flank drive combination wrenches. Theyre AWESOME!!! Well worth the money. But those are also really expensive in relation to almost any other wrench out there.10 wrenchs - $250 [:@].
-P.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:04 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

lol.. it just occured to me that I may need to get a 1/2 drive too - I just got my GT, and I'd never had need for more that 75 ft/lbs with the car I had before.

If you get the 1/2", get a 1/2" to 3/8" adapter too, most run of the mill socket sets are 3/8", so you'll have more socket options with the torque wrench.
Old 06-27-2007, 02:27 PM
doctorstrobe
2nd Gear Member

Hi,

I bought this one from Summit.
http://store.summitracing.com/partde...p;autoview=sku

It was only $25 but it seems well made.
If i was rebuilding an engine I'd probably buy a better one, but for lug nuts, suspension parts, etc it's been fine.

Old 06-27-2007, 03:19 PM
Aziraphale
4th Gear Member

I have this one: http://www.sears.com/sr/javasr/produ...seBVCookie=Yes

I got it on sale for $50 and it seems to work great for me. 25-250. Anything under 25 is barely tightened so I wasn't too worried about going smaller.

Quick Reply: Torque Wrench