Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Oversized oil filter

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2007, 08:31 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Oversized oil filter

Yes, larger filters arent needed, but it would be nice to use if they were price-friendly. They would allow cooler running (noticeably in fact, depending on how large they are), as well as filter better.

They're not price-friendly though, and can be like what $15? I'm better off spending $3 on the heavily tested and always passing with flying colors Motorcraft filter from Walmart, which is also Ford's spec'd out filter. If you search online you'll find motorcraft filters usually finish second in tests to only purolators.
Old 06-29-2007, 09:15 PM
schapman
4th Gear Member

dont take everything so literally. The 3001 was a joke but your first sentence said the filterneeded to be changed at 3k miles
Old 06-29-2007, 09:31 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

If stuff wasn't put out to me as "so literally" I wouldn't respond in kind. Yes I said the filter should be changed at 3000 , Thats just a rule of thumb. and a safe rule. filters will get saturated and go into bypass, when that happens, I don't know. If I had a test lab and a test car. I could give you exact mileage. People attack me for giving advise and then I get attacked again for taking stuff so Literally. Well , I say, if people want my years of experiance and my advise, then maybe they shouldn't be telling me not to take stuff so litterally, maybe telling the person that said crap to me to 'Shut up and go away'
It's really kinda simple, People want me to stop giving advise. I will certanly stop wasting my time posting what I think is correct. And let you people go along in trial and error like I did 20 years ago. I could care less.
Old 06-30-2007, 02:03 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Yikes! The fun just left this thread........................
Old 06-30-2007, 04:42 AM
cryptic26djp
4th Gear Member

Good question Schapman. I wondered this very same thing a couple months ago but never got around to asking.
One question though, are we seriously complaining about the prices of a damn oil filter here? Who cares if they are $35 each, really. You change them every 3000 miles or so. Thats like one less cheese burger per week and you got your money. Besides, we are spending hundreds of dollars on mods and high performance parts for these things - what is $30gonna hurt when you have the chance to run a little cooler??
I agree with you ZZmustang but I have always change mine at 4000 miles.
Old 06-30-2007, 06:21 AM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: cryptic26djp

Good question Schapman. I wondered this very same thing a couple months ago but never got around to asking.
One question though, are we seriously complaining about the prices of a damn oil filter here? Who cares if they are $35 each, really. You change them every 3000 miles or so. Thats like one less cheese burger per week and you got your money. Besides, we are spending hundreds of dollars on mods and high performance parts for these things - what is $30gonna hurt when you have the chance to run a little cooler??
I agree with you ZZmustang but I have always change mine at 4000 miles.
SHHHH!!! Quiet about the price of the filters!!! Next thing we know, Motorcraft is going to be CHARGING $35 for a filter! j/k

It's bad enough that my dad's F150 requires an extra quart of oil, and when he takes it in for the oil changes (easier to pay someone we know to do it, dispose of the used oil, filters, etc than do it ourselves because we don't have jackstands or ramps that will allow us to get the front of the truck high enough in the air)...

I think I'll stick with the recommended oil filters, and change the oil every 3500-4000 mi...I mean, Ford's RECOMMENDED oil change is every 5k mi, using MOTORCRAFT brand oil filters...Why would the factory recommend waiting 5k mi to do an oil change if the filter simply gunks up and goes into bypass? That'd mean a higher possibility of warranty issues...
Old 06-30-2007, 07:17 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

so assuming you're changing the oil filter and not the oil, because you get free oil changes every 5000 miles... how do you change the filter?
Won't you spill oil all over the place if you change it without draining out the oil?
I haven't changed my oil myself in decades...
Old 06-30-2007, 11:10 AM
jaxbelleil
2nd Gear Member

I use the K&N oil filter, and Mobil1 oil . Should I just switch back to motorcraft oil filter?
Old 06-30-2007, 11:45 AM
ZZmustang
Banned

Orion_240
Your question is a common one when changing oil. And No, the oil will not all leak out when you take off the filter. If you will notice the filter is above the pan and unless your parked on a severe left side hill, there’s no way for oil to run uphill.
When changing just the filter, just unscrew it, (whatever is in the filter will run out) and when you replace the new one, fill it with oil before you put it on, (this will make some oil run out) but , be quick and you wont loose much. The reason you want to fill the filter before you put it on is so that the system will have oil all threw , if you didn't fill it, your engine would be without oil for a second while the filter is getting filled. And you don't want to hear, "Knock, Knock, Knock" even for a second.

By the way, I have been using Fram oil filters for a long time.
Oil filters that filter to good are not the answer to anything. and oil filters that don't last long enough maybe worse. Fram filter seems to last around 4000 miles, if your planning on changing your filter longer than that don't use a fram. But if you change 4000 or less, Fram will do the job. And one more thing, If you run high HP, (350+) you should change your filter more often. When a high HP engine is making power, that oil pump is putting some extreme pressures on the system, which shortens the filter life.
Old 06-30-2007, 12:07 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

I think our stock filters are pretty big already, but then again, its all relative.

Quick Reply: Oversized oil filter