Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Check engine light still on!!!

Old 01-12-2005, 02:15 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Default Check engine light still on!!!

Ok I now have almost 1,000 miles on my stange since I put on the MMR CAI and the check engine light is still on. I was told 200 miles and it would reset it-self. So I took my Stang to a friend who owns a garage and he attempted to simply erase the light and to also see if it was on for some other reason. The machine wouldnt read the code!! WTF is that all about!!!!![:@]
Old 01-12-2005, 02:58 PM
xRockThePonyx
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Check engine light still on!!!

I'd say take it to the dealer then. Couldn't hurt, and you've got a warranty on it anyways.

This is why I'd never buy a brand new model in the first year. The whole check engine light thing worries me a bit. heh.
Old 01-12-2005, 03:16 PM
2005RedGT
1st Gear Member

Odd that it is still on for you ... it is possible that somehting else went out. I know of about 15 people with that kit. They all went out like normal (200 miles or so). You might want to gototo the dealer to see what the code is.

-Bryan
Old 01-12-2005, 03:25 PM
96GTponyup
2nd Gear Member

Yeah the thing is I have to get a whole as-s load of warranty work done this weekend and if they see the check engine light on as well as the CAI they may void the warranty.

Do you think if I disconnect the battery cable then hook it back up the ligh may reset? I talked to about 3other people who had a 05 and all them said they have had trouble with the check engine light coming on for no apparent reason.

The odd thing is that the machine wont pick up the reason the light is on. Do you think they may have changed the "language" or somthing?
ORIGINAL: 2005RedGT

Odd that it is still on for you ... it is possible that somehting else went out. I know of about 15 people with that kit. They all went out like normal (200 miles or so). You might want to gototo the dealer to see what the code is.

-Bryan
Old 01-12-2005, 08:28 PM
2005RedGT
1st Gear Member

Try the battery neg cable. But I dont think that will fix your problem. Either get the SCT XCalibrator to tune it or let the FOrd shop reset it. If it has not gone off by now, then it won't. It is there for a reason.

-Bryan
Old 01-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Legend Lime
1st Gear Member

If your stang is an 05 you will need to have the computer reflashed with an SCT reader by someone that knows what they are doing, at least this is what I've been told that if you install a cold air induction system. Here is some info on it. good luck!

THE WAIT IS OVER. SCT is the first aftermarket company to release a Multi-Program Flash Device and Custom Calibrations for the all new 2005 Mustang. Also available for the first time anywhere are Custom Calibrations for the wildly popular 2004+ F-150 Gas Trucks and the 2003 - 2005 F-250 thru F-550 6.0L Diesel Ford Trucks. SCT's new Xcalibrator will allow you to flash your new vehicle with up to 3 Custom Calibrations, and also allow you to tweak your Custom Calibration using our new Quicktune 2005 Custom Tuning Software. . SCT’s new XCalibrator supports the following applications:

1996 - 2005 Mustang
2005 Ford GT Supercar
1996 - 2005 F150
1996 - 2005 F250 - F550
7.3L / 6.0L Diesel
1996 - 2005 Explorer
Thunderbird
SVT Focus
Lincoln LS

***Please be sure to include vehicle calibration ID in the notes***
Brand: SCT Superchips Custom Tuning

This product weighs 5.00 lbs.

Item is in stock and ships quickly.

Part# Description Price Qty:
SCT-XCalibrator SCT Superchips Custom 96-present XCalibrator for OBD-II Vehicles $399.95/ea
Old 01-12-2005, 11:12 PM
Daniel60
5th Gear Member

My check engine light came on once and not because of some kit you installed and the dealer said the code was a misfire or a bad coil. He asked if the engine ran o.k. and I said a course. So he reset the light and it hasn't came on since. When it came on initially it was when I was leaving work and I gun the dog **** out of it and well it happen. Maybe I should of showed more respect to it since the engine is still isn't broken in. When do the engines get broken in?
Old 01-22-2005, 10:26 PM
The Solski

The thing with a lot of the cold air intake kits out there is that they feed more air than the engine is used to. Some even have bigger MAF sensors. You need to reflash your cars computer with either the xcalibrator or the Diablo tuner. Essentially you are telling the car that you have a bigger intake on, the computer will adjust and the check engine light will go away.

Be carefull though you may be voiding your warranty.
Old 01-22-2005, 10:36 PM
The Solski

Reflashing the car with the xcalibrator is simple.

When you buy the thing, tell the sct dealer what mods you have and what kind of tune you are looking for.

the xcalibrator can hold, I believe up to four different tunes, so all you have to do is plug it into the diagnostics port and upload the tune you are looking for.

If ya don't trust yourself go to www.sctflash.com, there is a link on there that will show the nearest sct tuners near you.
Old 01-22-2005, 11:39 PM
td1320
3rd Gear Member

The Xcalibrator will hold three custom tunes plus your stock computer setting so you can return it to stock whenever you want. You can download the quick tune software from the SCT flash site and purchase one of their cables and load it yourself. You will need an export file from either your dealer or SCT. If you buy it from steeda they can have it already loaded for cold air induction. It's also true about the check engine light. SCT gave me a bad file and even though it took the first time it did cause my check engine light to come on. The neat thing about getting your own cable is if you do have a bad code come up, after you fix the problem you can re-flash your computer with the same program and it will erase your codes without having to remove the battery cable just when you get the stereo set just right.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Check engine light still on!!!