Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Coupe or Convertible?!?!?!

Search this Thread

Old 07-01-2007, 08:47 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Default Coupe or Convertible?!?!?!

So its coming time to order my 08 GT but i can not decide if i want a vert or a coupe!

I have never owned a vert so i dont know about the upkeep on the top and if they are even worth it!

If you would tell me the positives and negatives of each and what you think i should do! I plan on going with a black on black on black so i would love to see pictures of YOUR vert!

Even if its not black... Post a few good pics of your coupe/vert and tell me which you would go with!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:03 PM
americaniron
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Coupe or Convertible?!?!?!

It mostly depends on where you live. If you live in Maine, Alaska, or any place thats wintery for most of the year, then a coupe is more practical. If you live in the sun belt, then the vert will be fun. You also must consider how secure the car will be when you're not around. (garage, parking at work etc.) It's easy for some *** wipe to cut your top to get at anything of value, or just to be an a$$. I personally wish I had a vert. I just couldn't afford it at the time.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:06 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

I live in Oklahoma so the weather is crazy but probably 50/50 for 'top down weather'. I have a pretty good veiw at work of the carand i live in a pretty secure neighborhood and later she will be in the garage at night.

Exactly how much more is a vert? I would love a vert but one of the things that makes me not want it is i feel like a vert takes away from the muscle aspect of the car! Because when you imagine an old school muscle car you dont imagine a vert [&:]
Old 07-01-2007, 09:07 PM
rogan01
3rd Gear Member

This just comes down to personal preference. I have a convertible (2006 GT Silver/Black 5-speed). This is my opinion:

You are either a convertible person or you are not. I had an 06 GT coupe/black/black and traded it for the vert when I could because I am a convertible person.. I grew up watching TV where everyone had convertibles (guess it was easier to film the person...). They hold a nostalgic attraction for me. There are fewer verts made than coupes. Verts are about 2K more expensive.

Overall I like the lines of the coupe better with this car and how you can mod it with side window louvers, rear window louvers, etc. to make it like the 67 - 69s A lot depends on where you live (weather) and how much you would actually put the top down. - I live in S. Fla.

My vert has been reliable - top goes up/down in 15 seconds. Very sturdy and .1 seconds faster than the coupe (per Car & Driver) from 0-60.

Either way - you win.
Old 07-01-2007, 09:11 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

'Verts are nice, but unless you have a garage where you can park it at night(so the criminal element won't have access to it while you're asleep), I'd go coupe. Although if going with a 'Vert, get the cloth top option(looks way classier and isn't too much more expensive). Although coupes look meaner when modded IMO.
I vote coupe!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:18 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Another random question that i have been curious about for awile.....

Will the 18x9 18x10 Chrome bullits from my 03 GT fit on the 08 GT? I keep hearing something about the 'offset' of the wheels... If mine wont fit can i modify them so that they will?
Old 07-01-2007, 09:26 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

This is my first convertible and I really enjoy it. The quality of the top and mechanics are very good and I have not had any problems so far. I treat the top a few times a year to protect it from the elements but mine is garaged all the time. Riding around with the top down is awesome....today was a great example!!!

Good luck!!!
Old 07-01-2007, 09:29 PM
Adam03GT
5th Gear Member

Anyone have pics of a vert with a light bar? Now THAT is sexy
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 PM
Alloyed
2nd Gear Member

:P I made it 50/50, well, I have driven both (my old mustang was a vert, my new one is a coupe). Overall, I enjoy the look and security of the coupe and it's also quieter than the vert. But I still drive my old stang occasionally and I ALWAYS have the top down. I live in FL, and the weather here makes it great for verts...and my dad is a vert-nut, he's only owned convertibles. Ok so final word, vert=very enjoyable driving experience in good weather but doesn't look so hot with the top up, coupes=great look, quiet, but in order to get that "wind in your hair feeling", you have to put the windows down which just...isn't the same.

-Alloyed
Old 07-01-2007, 09:36 PM
4LITER6
3rd Gear Member

No Light Bar, but love the vert.....SoCal Beach Cruiser!!!

[IMG]local://upfiles/54425/A18E60FC7968404EA98C62ABF5A39952.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: Coupe or Convertible?!?!?!