Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

S197- Bad Build Quality

Search this Thread

Old 07-04-2007, 03:29 AM
erichikov
1st Gear Member

Default S197- Bad Build Quality

I have owned my 2006 Mustang GT Convertible since it was new. It now has a little over 44000 miles on it and have ran into a few small annoying problems that I shouldn't have with a car that cost 35k. First off, the levers to tilt the seat up and down so people can get in and out, on the upper back part of the seats, they both broke and no one was being rough on it. After looking at it, it looks like they just notched it out and that is where the plastic broke Then there is the rear carpet behind the passanger seat; there is a tear that is about 8 inches long in the carpet right were it starts to go up to the seats. I do have a lot of people sitting in the back, but still, the carpet shouldn't rip especially with only 44k miles. And last, in between the two front seats where the storage box is, the plastic on the side of it is so easy to scratch. I have so many scratches in it and I don't have a clue why. Has anyone else had any poor quality issues with their S197 mustangs. If so, anyone with the same problems as me? What are other problems you guys are having? I am not trying to knock the new mustangs at all. I love the car, I jsut think some parts should have been made a little better...
Old 07-04-2007, 03:32 AM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: S197- Bad Build Quality

take it back. I think some 2006+ cars got extended warrentys. take ur back and see if they will fix it. Sound like mainly cosmetic. better then having something mechanically
Old 07-04-2007, 03:33 AM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

I haven't had those problems, and have 34k on mine.
I have heard others mention the seat levers.
In my opinion these are small but annoying issues.
Levers can be replaced, carpet can be fixed, scratches......hmmm, who has been chewing on your interior anyway?
While I understand your frustration, I think the car is well made for the money.
Of course, most of the value is in the performance and body styling.
Old 07-04-2007, 03:35 AM
erichikov
1st Gear Member

No extended warranty for me . Of course all of that stuff happened in between 36k-44k
Old 07-04-2007, 03:40 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

Ileased a Ford F-150 prior to buying my GT. I turned it in with about 28,000 miles on it. I took GOOD care of that truck. However, the rear window trim (exterior) was ALL messed up at the top, the Ford emblems on the rims had came right off (every-rim),there were break dust and rust spots "peppered" around the wheel wells and interior door trim. My girlfriendhas similarissues with herGMC Envoy(30,000+miles).

It's just wear and tear my friend...
Old 07-04-2007, 04:04 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: erichikov

I have owned my 2006 Mustang GT Convertible since it was new. It now has a little over 44000 miles on it and have ran into a few small annoying problems that I shouldn't have with a car that cost 35k. First off, the levers to tilt the seat up and down so people can get in and out, on the upper back part of the seats, they both broke and no one was being rough on it. After looking at it, it looks like they just notched it out and that is where the plastic broke Then there is the rear carpet behind the passanger seat; there is a tear that is about 8 inches long in the carpet right were it starts to go up to the seats. I do have a lot of people sitting in the back, but still, the carpet shouldn't rip especially with only 44k miles. And last, in between the two front seats where the storage box is, the plastic on the side of it is so easy to scratch. I have so many scratches in it and I don't have a clue why. Has anyone else had any poor quality issues with their S197 mustangs. If so, anyone with the same problems as me? What are other problems you guys are having? I am not trying to knock the new mustangs at all. I love the car, I jsut think some parts should have been made a little better...
This sounds like normal wear for a car that's driven 44K in one year.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:06 AM
erichikov
1st Gear Member

Normal wear is handles breaking and a foot long rip in the carpet? Maybe the scratches are normal wear but the other things??????????????
Old 07-04-2007, 04:17 AM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

my seat levers fell off too but i dont give a shi7. atleast your paint isnt peeling off like some of the 99-04's ive seen lately.
Old 07-04-2007, 04:26 AM
explict
4th Gear Member

Didnt the Mustang win an award for being the most problematic-free car?
Old 07-04-2007, 04:28 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

Well, the broken seat handle thing is a known issue. Mustangs aren't really designed for lots of people sitting in the back. In fact it seems like if you put the only people in the back who could fit (children) then they're more likely to BREAK that handle!
The scratches in the center plastic are normal for that type of material. I hope it saves weight, because anyone with a Club or other type of steering wheel lock undoubtably has scratched theirs!
Most of the carpet in Mustangs isn't glued down at the edges. Just part of buying a car that retails for just over $19,000. Just because it's a GT doesn't mean they install ANYTHING any better than if it was a plain V-6!

Plus with twice as many miles as a car that old would normally have I wonder why you don't have an extended warranty...

Quick Reply: S197- Bad Build Quality