Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Screaming Yellow Crash update ...

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 02:24 AM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Screaming Yellow Crash update ...

Congrats on getting the car almost done!!! I know how it sucks to have it in the shop.....seems like it takes forever......for what it's worth, your rear-end view is awesome! s ~
Old 08-08-2007, 04:51 AM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

Be sure to check the inside of your wheel wells, especially the rears, for overspray.
Compare to original.

It's looking good, especially without the wing on the back!
And I take it your upgrading your exhaust?

[IMG]local://upfiles/15212/FB78F32E667649D593C93A62410E1686.jpg[/IMG]
There is definitely overspray in the wheel wells which will need to be covered up .... I have a Shelby GT500 style wing for the rear and have the dual exhaust ready to go on once it gets out of the shop ....
Old 08-08-2007, 09:47 AM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Are they going to paint the mirrors too? Looks really good BTW Cant wait for finished pics.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:51 AM
MELLOWYELLOW06
6th Gear Member

Looking good fellow poser
Old 08-10-2007, 05:24 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I put the bug in my insurance companies ear that I would prefer the entire car painted to insure no color match issues now or down the road. I also explained how the car is bright yellow in the sun but turns to orange at dusk. The rep started to go into this entire line of sight plane ramble about the eye detecting color differences ... I told them how the roof panel on a Mustang is a separate distinct panel and that I'm pretty sure it will be noticable depending on the light. The rep said to pick up the car and if I am not satifisfied to give them a call. They said the body shop would have already told them if they thought it would be an issue. I explained to them the body shop wanted to finish wet sanding and polishing to verify the final color but they would probably be hearing from the bodyshop next week about my concerns and their recommendations. The body shop also thinks the best thing is just paint the entire car ... but they need the $$$ to do it. I also explained that due to the extensive repairs they are trying to blend 70% new paint into 30% old paint ... instead of typical 30% new into 70% old ... at least the rep did admit that yellow does fade the fastest of the colors and it is a 2 year old car ... built in November 2005.

We'll see how it goes next week when the body shop calls and tries to get the $$$. At this point only the decklid, roof and passenger 1/4 are all that is left to be painted.

ORIGINAL: 8178A

ORIGINAL: dmhines

Looking good! My body shop guy told me that yellow is the very hardest color to match.
Mine too ... he said he's gonna be glad when the car is done and out of there. He said the yellow goes on so transparent that it took almost two gallons of base to cover it ... and they didn't even have to paint the entire car ...
They may need paint all of it to get a yellow match. You’ll need to look at it in different lighting conditions to tell if they have a match. Yellow fades in the sun and that’s why the new stock color paint doesn’t match.
Old 08-10-2007, 05:51 PM
MantaDreams
3rd Gear Member

I am impressed with the progress on your ride so far. lookin sharp.

I had a shop repaint my Neon... put it in asking for only certain sections and he quoted me for the sections to be worked on. He tried very hard to match the paint, but couldn't (I didn't know he was having trouble matching)

long story short, I picked up the car with an entire new paint job - over the entire car - for the price he quoted only for sections. He had work to do and prolly figured it was worth it to not get into some customer issues. Based on this, he'll have a repeat customer from me in the future. sorry this shop won't go that extra step for you... maybe his margin is marginal?

I put the bug in my insurance companies ear that I would prefer the entire car painted to insure no color match issues now or down the road. I also explained how the car is bright yellow in the sun but turns to orange at dusk. The rep started to go into this entire line of sight plane ramble about the eye detecting color differences ... I told them how the roof panel on a Mustang is a separate distinct panel and that I'm pretty sure it will be noticable depending on the light. The rep said to pick up the car and if I am not satifisfied to give them a call. They said the body shop would have already told them if they thought it would be an issue. I explained to them the body shop wanted to finish wet sanding and polishing to verify the final color but they would probably be hearing from the bodyshop next week about my concerns and their recommendations. The body shop also thinks the best thing is just paint the entire car ... but they need the $$$ to do it. I also explained that due to the extensive repairs they are trying to blend 70% new paint into 30% old paint ... instead of typical 30% new into 70% old ... at least the rep did admit that yellow does fade the fastest of the colors and it is a 2 year old car ... built in November 2005.

We'll see how it goes next week when the body shop calls and tries to get the $$$. At this point only the decklid, roof and passenger 1/4 are all that is left to be painted.

Looking good! My body shop guy told me that yellow is the very hardest color to match.
Mine too ... he said he's gonna be glad when the car is done and out of there. He said the yellow goes on so transparent that it took almost two gallons of base to cover it ... and they didn't even have to paint the entire car ...
They may need paint all of it to get a yellow match. You’ll need to look at it in different lighting conditions to tell if they have a match. Yellow fades in the sun and that’s why the new stock color paint doesn’t match.
Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
jdt141
1st Gear Member

sharp. love the lettering on the rear!
Old 08-10-2007, 06:12 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I'm friends with the body shop owner and I know he would paint the rest of the car if I asked him ... his painter already told me he has enough base coat left to do it ... but of course it's gonna still require prep, masking, spraying, sanding and polishing besides the paint. It's my insurance companies responsibility to give me a car back in the same condition it was before the wreck ... not his. I want to make sure I'm satisfied and he makes the profit he should so the insurance company really needs to pay up if necessary.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:46 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

The cars done ... they just need to clean it up and get the front end alignment done! The insurance company wouldn't pay for paint on the additional panels. But after final buffing and getting the car all together the color match actually looks good. I'll post some pics when I get it home later this week ...
Old 08-13-2007, 04:52 PM
Cindy
4th Gear Member

Oh Man... I am so sorry about your wreck. That Yellow Stang
was Beautiful. But at least you are okay and now you can just
buy a new Mustang. Good Luck.