Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting pushed into a bad deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 12:00 AM
honus402

Default RE: Am I getting pushed into a bad deal?

Dorsil,
I don't know about the East Coast, but I've never paid MSRP since I moved to Texas over 20 years ago. The going rate here is "invoice", which is usually about 85% of MSRP.Ask your local credit union what the loan value is and if they have an invoice look-up service. Go back to the dealer and tell them that's all you are willing to pay andstart walking out if they won't budge. All dealers want to make you a regular customer and see your face every two or three years, so unless they have a shortage of some model, they are willing to deal. In June, I picked up a totally loaded GT Premium for 26K. MSRP was right at 31K. Sure they tried to get MSRP but they knew there were other dealers in town with GTs.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:10 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

On the $29,225 loan at 10% for 6 years your looking at $9,757 in interest over the life of the loan

Ona $27,000 loan at 10% for 6 years your looking at $9,014 in interest over the life of the loan and a monthly rate of $500.20

If that second quote you posted is for 6 years aka 72 months your getting BURNED
Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 AM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

Thanks for all the replies guys.. honistly, Im glad i found this forum.. talkign to everyone else has been very depressing.

So my KBB on the honda is 12,000ish trade in.. I owe around 10,500 on it still. So im feeling the they are giving me crap consering its only got 16000 miles on it and is in beyond excellent condition..
(Point A being raised tomorrow at dealership) - Lets see some numbers

im going to ask for a full layout of the numbers.. How much MSRP.. Discounts.. trade in .. to the Dime..
and lastly.. I put a 500 deposit down because i did not want anyone driving it lol .. if things dont shape up more to my liking, ill be asking for that back and walking.. I can wait.. but I will be getting one to my liking..
Old 07-06-2007, 12:13 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

But..... 6 years! [&:]
Old 07-06-2007, 12:23 AM
FrostByte
5th Gear Member

They can tell you want THAT car. Go shopping @ some other dealer ships. I bet you will find another Mustang to fall in love with. Even if your not interested a carr there, make them think you do &get a deal price from them. Then you have some thing to work with @ the other dealer. If they know you are also shopping else where you will get a better deal.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:34 AM
thxultra
2nd Gear Member

och that interest rate is crazy. They are doing 0% right now with good credit. I would check with a bank and see if you can get a better rate.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:49 AM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

Ok.. MSRP is 29,630
Invoice is 27,692.

They are working off the msrp with their 1500 Off the top..

im a bit shaded by the whole thing now that people who have bought these cars are laying it out for me.

I can get a 5% from my Credit union. so thats covered.

I guess i need to simply say.. Lets start on invoice.. and take off more the 1500.. or i walk..

im kinda begining to think that just because i want this car.. as in this exact one like holy crap this is awesome.. doesnt mean it doesnt exist somewhere else. for a cheaper price..

So im going for.. 72 months (yes 6 years.. incase my job goes by bye.. i dont have to worry too much ) Im planning on paying it off in under 1 year but dont want to drop the payments to 3 year or less etc.
Im looking for around 420ish (lucky number) on the whole package..

well see how it goes tomorrow.. worst case situation.. i walk away with my deposit and start looking elsewhere.

Old 07-06-2007, 12:53 AM
jimmy08

Something else you may want to consider about a 6 year loan, is this going to be your primary mode of transportation?If it is and you drive the average around 12 to 15 thousand miles a year do you want to be making 500+/month payments4 years from now on a car that has 48,000 to 60,000 miles on it.It will be great until the car starts to loose its new fun feeling.You will be upside-down in value vs what you owe on it for the first few years.They are great cars and a lot of fun.If you can afford it go for it, but take some time to shop around with other dealers that may be more motivated to sell the 07s that they have on the lot.Good luck and let us know how you make out.
Old 07-06-2007, 12:56 AM
retfr8flyr
3rd Gear Member

Go to Edmunds.com and look up what the invoice would be on the GT equipped the way that one is. This invoice price is the cost you should be negotiating from. They are only going to give you wholesale price for your Civic in trade. Look up what the trade in value is for your Civic. Do you live near a CarMax? If you do take your car to them and see what they offer, it is usually as much or more than a dealer. Do your home work on what this GT will cost you and what your Civic is worth, don’t get rushed into anything. Six years is a long time to be paying for a car, you need to be sure that you won’t be thinking you got screwed on the deal the whole time you are paying for it.

Earl
Old 07-06-2007, 01:08 AM
lqdslvr
1st Gear Member

To echo some others, 6 years is a LONG time to pay on a car. If you can make the extra few bucks, go to 60 months rather than 72. My brother bought a santa fe and financed it for 7 years (84 months). It's now falling apart and he still has 18 months to pay on it.

On the deal, go with the credit union if they won't give you the 0 percent deal through FMC. Also, at least in AZ, the 08's are going at invoice. I just ordered an 08 GT premium with IUP, Premier Trim, 18" wheels, bluetooth, iPod adaptor, HID headlights, Comfort group, and I forget what else, and my deal is for 29,700 or so, plus TTL. They can do MUCH better than the deal they are quoting you. Go around to a different dealership and get the best deal. Tell each that you are getting quotes from several dealers and will go with the best deal. Go back and forth if necessary. Also, make them show you the invoice and question every number. Some dealers add all kinds of crap to the "invoice". Very little of it is legit.

As far as options, I think you should get the car you want if you can make the payments, but you can get a much better deal than what they are offering. Good luck!

Quick Reply: Am I getting pushed into a bad deal?