Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I getting pushed into a bad deal?

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 01:20 AM
timothyrw
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Am I getting pushed into a bad deal?

ORIGINAL: Dorsil
Invoice is 27,692.
I guess i need to simply say.. Lets start on invoice.. and take off more the 1500.. or i walk..
PERFECT!

they say no deal, then walk.

if they take it then the only thing left is to argue about trade-in.

good luck and let us know what happens!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:23 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

Some of the happiest 6 weeks of my life was waiting for my Pony to be built over Christmas 2006 in to January 2007.

Special ordering is cool, especially if you have a no hassle, on the ball sales rep. I did

Now I don't want to tarnish that new 2007 you are looking at, but if you got a 2008 it would less likely have the passenger side leak and shouldn't have the front suspension "thunk" sound.

You can check the build date on the driver door jam sticker. Mine has this number

and I know it was built on 01/16/2007 because it was a special order by me andI tracked it through production via the dealer 1-800 number.

If that GT you are looking at has been on the dealers lot for the last 6 months, well.... (you can finish the sentence).[/align]
Old 07-06-2007, 01:29 AM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

If you can't bring the price down from MSRP, then I wouldn't buy from that particular dealer. 10% is a definite sign that you're not ready to get a GT, if your credit union can get you a better rate, then, what are you waiting for? My '06 premium GT stickered at $29,150 and I got it down to $26,400(with 0% financing on top), I pay $450/mo for 60mo($27K financed). If you can say for sure you can afford a certain amount for x amount of years, then do what you desire. If you're gonna struggle to make payments, then you need to wait IMO. I waited over 20 years to get my GT(wanted one in '85, got my first in '05), did it make it worth it? HELL YES!Did I miss not owning one all those years? Didn't miss what I didn't have.........................
Old 07-06-2007, 01:33 AM
Tungsten07GT

Use Your Credit Union!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! also see if your credit union has a car buying program, where they negotiate the price for you. 10% is way to high!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Good Luck!!!!!!
Old 07-06-2007, 01:35 AM
Route 99
1st Gear Member

So im looking at the 2007 Mustang GT Premium, Black/Black

long story short its looking good.

I have an 05 civic im trading in..

but looking at the mustang with no down payment and no trade in.. its 29,225 and a very high 10% interest rate at 72 months im looking around 540 a month.. (rough estimate and a high interest rate to get worst possible scenario)

With my 3500 down, and my Civic as a trade in that comes down to 500ish.. They told me they willthrow in a 1500 discount on the spot.

Arnt the 08's hitting the lot in another month? I mean I understand not everyone can get these cars and im serious about going through with it, but Shouldnt i be seeing a bit more done by this dealership to move this car?

Thoughts..

A. go for it .. pay the 500ish a month.. Rock a great car.. and see its value deteriorate in the nextmonth as its now a "year old"
B. wait a few weeks.. Order an 08.. Rock a new great car.. and in 1 real year.. see its value deteriorate..
C. Play it safe/smart.. save my money.. look to the future and in 10 years.. drop the "What if thoughts" for the rest of my life..about the stang i never bought.

What do you think?
I can get a 5% from my Credit union. so thats covered.

I think it may be helpful for you to read chapter 13, "Negotiating for a New Vehicle at the Dealership" in the book "Don't Get Taken Every Time: The ultimate guide to buying or leasing a car in the showroom or on the Internet" by Remar Sutton.

It may be worthwhile to also read the rest of the book.

I think it will be smart of you to get your 5% auto loan pre-approved by your credit union.

I suggest that if the dealer tries to steer you toward financing through them, insist that you have your own financing and tell them that you have your auto loan pre-approved through your credit union.

Let us know how things work out for you. Share your buying experience with us here on this forum.

Good luck.

Old 07-06-2007, 01:46 AM
Rt1Rebel
3rd Gear Member

It's a good idea to find a comparable car at another dealer that you would be happy with, and then playing back and forth with the two. It's also a good idea for the salesman to think he's doing the financing and getting the trade-in, right up until the end. He will be more willing to cut the price down (alot) if he thinks he's taking you to the cleaners on the loan andripping you off on the trade-in price. Get your ownloan secured and the check in your hand so you can whip it out at exactly the right time.

The key is to be patient. Just remember that's not the last black GT that Ford is making...
Old 07-06-2007, 02:04 AM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

OK here is the sticker from the car that i secretly took a picture of my on my 007 mission [sm=goodidea.gif]

Now.. granted this is sticker price.. 30,530

Assuming 3500 down, and No trade in taken..

30,530 - 3500 = 27030
1500 Cash off.
27030 - 1500 = 25530

25530 at 5% financing at 72 months = 7659 Added

25530 +7659 = 33189 at 72 Months

33189 % 72 = 460.(rounded)

now thats assuming no Trade in.. and my own financing.. At sticker price.. now granted this is without "Tax" but christ.. Now i really feel like im being ripped.

If images like this didnt make me weak in the knee's... id have more power right now to say im walking..
Old 07-06-2007, 02:24 AM
Buckshot Barry
3rd Gear Member

It's a late production '07. The sticker has 03/20/2007 on the bottom. Not necessarily the finished production date, but possibly the date it started production.

Being a March or April 2007 car, it should have the front lower cross member brace. It should also have the redesigned cowl.

It's also got the charcoal aluminum panel. Looks to me to be about the perfect Black on Black GT

If the carpets were dry, I say

Buy It!

Just get the financing right [/align]
Old 07-06-2007, 02:29 AM
Dorsil
2nd Gear Member

Like I said... its "The One".. and you wondered why this 25 year old kid is getting jacked at the dealer over a car hes drooling over

Going to hopefully correct some numbers with them tomorrow.. and finalize on saturday pending they can work with me.

I put the deposit down because it has 4 miles on it 2 of which are mine and I honistly dont want anyone else even breathing near it.. thats how bad i want it lol.

I hope tomorrow plays out well, I really want this to work out
Old 07-06-2007, 02:31 AM
gill7784
2nd Gear Member

Ok, here is the formula -

Invoice on the vehicle. Print one out from the internet. Edmunds is a good place to start looking.

Anyhow, invoice - factory holdback (3% on Fords) - any factory to customer rebates (currently 1500 cash back untill July 9). Now, take that amount, add desitnation charger (745) and add a fair profilt (I never pay more than 2 percent. Based on the sticker you posted, you should be able to get your car for around 25500. If thay say no, leave. It's your money, so the ball is in your court. Don't be rude, just be assertive.

Good luck! Just remember, don't act weak. Dealers pick up on that and use many dirty tactics to rope you in. As previously stated, bring someone with you and don't allow the salesman to pass you off.

Finally, MAKE SURE you treat the trade as a completely seperate transaction. Establish the purchase price on the new car, get them to sign an offer, than discuss the trade. Make sure you don't get roped into the "make up the difference" scheme. One thing has nothing to do with the other!

Quick Reply: Am I getting pushed into a bad deal?