Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Nitrous HP vs Blower HP

Search this Thread

Old 07-06-2007, 08:48 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Nitrous HP vs Blower HP

$2500 for nitrous setup? I hope a lot of that is from the dyno tuning. I'm sure the cost can climb with all the extra stuff, that's why i'm doing the basic $500 kit first with added window switch and that's it. May add a bottle warmer in the near future, but it's allready hot as hell here in florida and I almost never run the A/C. I'm also putting the bottle behind the passenger seat to eliminate the desire or need of an electric bottle opener.

Do any kits for the 05's come with a pressure gauge? Is that something that mounts on the bottle? I don't want to put a gauge pod in my car, i'd like to keep it as low key as possible.

ORIGINAL: Mpaint99

I'm running 125 shot wet system now. After alot of tuning on the dyno I'm at 400 rwhp. But traction is the biggest obstacle against you. Specially if you are running 410s like me. Plus 1 with the blower having power thru out. It would be a great race to watch in a safe situation. For me it was cost, $2500.oo NOS or $7500.oo for a blower ?
Old 07-06-2007, 09:06 PM
PERTANO
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: D_Gusler

Got some specs on what you have, and wht your looking to get out of it??
Complete Nitrous Express 3V kit. http://www.nitrousexpress.com/Pages/3v_platesystem.htm
I will also include the NX pressure guage that mounts to the bottle, blow down tube and adapter "TRACK LEGAL", and Bottle Warmer. All for 750 shipped.

New this kit is over 800 bucks and doesn't include anyguages or extra items. "READ THE SMALL PRINT". As it stands right now I have almost 1000 in this setup between the bottle warmer, guage, blow down adapter and tube.

NX has the best reputation for kit durabilty and quality. They're products are more expensive but if you ever had a solenoid fail from a NOS or ZEX kit you'll know why you spend the extra money for Nitrous Express.
Old 07-06-2007, 11:36 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

My setup ran me about $2600 as well, you have to have these systems set up perfectly or it's dangerous for your car.

You NEED a bottle heater, no ifs, ands, or buts!. I live in Florida as well and after baking in the hot sun my bottle pressure tops out about 960 psi. That will get you about 70% of your shot. You want to run your pressure at around 1100-1150 psi for perfect results. And if you dont have a heater, forget about racing at night....not gunna happen. Trust me i felt the same way since i live in florida, i learned quick.

Also i would not reccomend doing the "basic" $500 kit. Sure you will get some nitrous running into your intake, but not very safe. You need all the proper components to go with it before you instal it. Just my .02. Save untill you can get everything, dont rush it.

ORIGINAL: moosestang

$2500 for nitrous setup? I hope a lot of that is from the dyno tuning. I'm sure the cost can climb with all the extra stuff, that's why i'm doing the basic $500 kit first with added window switch and that's it. May add a bottle warmer in the near future, but it's allready hot as hell here in florida and I almost never run the A/C. I'm also putting the bottle behind the passenger seat to eliminate the desire or need of an electric bottle opener.

Do any kits for the 05's come with a pressure gauge? Is that something that mounts on the bottle? I don't want to put a gauge pod in my car, i'd like to keep it as low key as possible.

I'm running 125 shot wet system now. After alot of tuning on the dyno I'm at 400 rwhp. But traction is the biggest obstacle against you. Specially if you are running 410s like me. Plus 1 with the blower having power thru out. It would be a great race to watch in a safe situation. For me it was cost, $2500.oo NOS or $7500.oo for a blower ?
Old 07-07-2007, 01:48 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Been there done that!, You are absolutely right, It is impossible to get good results with nitrous without a bottle heater and a gauge so you know the actual pressure before you spray. 1000 PSI should be the absolute minimum spray pressure. 1100 to 1200 is ideal! Unfortunately the nitrous companies don't include a heater with thier basic kit, and this stinks as you will never get a high level of performance without it. So this leads to my next statement. Nitrous isgreat,it's a relatively inexpensive way to get instant horsepower, the biggest problem is the "instant part". When it hits, it hits full force, there is no in between. One second you are stock with 260-270 or so HP the next second you are pushing almost 400 HP. This can wreak havoc on your cars ability to handle properly, Your tires will spin!, especially if you are in any kind of turn when you spray. Very, very scary!I almost lost control a couple of times. That is why I removed the nitrous from my stang and installed a KB twin screw. Now I have incredible, controllable HP and Torque throughout the power band of the motor. Also, I hated paying $40 every time I needed to refill the bottle! Knowing that I would justempty it within a few days. The speedshops loved when I rolled in every couple of days to refill. I realize not everyone can afford a KB supercharger, I had to wait 9 excruciating months for mine. But on the otherhand, when I see guys putting out $2500 for a nitrous setup and see superchargers going for around $3000 I must begin to wonder why would you even consider nitrous if you can afford a supercharger?
ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

My setup ran me about $2600 as well, you have to have these systems set up perfectly or it's dangerous for your car.

You NEED a bottle heater, no ifs, ands, or buts!. I live in Florida as well and after baking in the hot sun my bottle pressure tops out about 960 psi. That will get you about 70% of your shot. You want to run your pressure at around 1100-1150 psi for perfect results. And if you dont have a heater, forget about racing at night....not gunna happen. Trust me i felt the same way since i live in florida, i learned quick.

Also i would not reccomend doing the "basic" $500 kit. Sure you will get some nitrous running into your intake, but not very safe. You need all the proper components to go with it before you instal it. Just my .02. Save untill you can get everything, dont rush it.

Old 07-07-2007, 11:52 AM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: jerjan

But on the otherhand, when I see guys putting out $2500 for a nitrous setup and see superchargers going for around $3000 I must begin to wonder why would you even consider nitrous if you can afford a supercharger?
ORIGINAL: ohsixgt1217

I would have loved to get a supercharger! But that $3,000 or so to buy one turns into $5,000 after install, tune, gauges, and whatever other parts you need to have.

Trust me i dont stand by nitrous like it's the king, i would MUCH rather have a s/c or turbo in my car.... lol just cant $$afford$$ it! lol.
Old 07-07-2007, 12:59 PM
newagemuscle
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: redfireshaker06

Ok, I raced my friends 03/04 Cobra the other day just for the hell of it. I knew I would lose but it was still fun. He gave me first and really didn't get on it till he hit 2nd. Then he went by me, but it really wasn't BLOWING by me. Just like passed me. He has probably 400-410 HP. Now my question is, if I can get my 06 gt 5speed to 410 hp on nitrous. Who will win in the 1/4? Nitrous gives you a lot more TQ over a blower doesn't it? The only thing holding me back is there have more power band and weigh probably 400 or more lbs less. Would I have a chance? Hes only running 12.7s right now. I believe with a 100 or 125 shot I could take him. What do you guys think?
Nitrous can do a lot for you car. I know this is not a mustang, but to give you an example. My 1998 Corvette which was an auto, would consistently run low 13's @ around 104 - 105mph. when I put a 100 shot on the car, I ran a best of a 12.01 @ 116.40mph. So, I picked up around a full second and over 10 mph for a 100 shot of nitrous. That was using the NOS 5117 kit for the LS1 f-bodies. I don't know if most of the nitrous companies rate their jetting based on what would be flywheel or rear wheel HP. The other thing you have to remember is traction. This can become a big issue with increased torque. With my Corvette I never really ran into a traction issue with the auto and having Nitto’s out back. Mustangs unfortunately are not as forgiving in the traction department.