Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gears question

Search this Thread

Old 07-07-2007, 08:40 PM
GT_Stang
3rd Gear Member

Default Gears question

If you buy gears such as 4:10's do you ave to buy the 8.8 rear? Or is it just optional? Is it better for the car? Also I was looking at the gears on American Muscle.com there was3 I was looking at. One was $160 They were Motive Performance Gears. There is another one Frpp Gears fro $240. The last one is $130 But is the seems the exaxt same as the One for $160. They all say 8.8 rear end so i think i have to buy the 8.8 rear. Where did you guys get your's from? Here is the link http://www.americanmuscle.com/05-07-mustang-gears.html

EDIT: fixed typo in thread title - 28HopUp
Old 07-07-2007, 08:51 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gers question

You should learn what you have currently equipped on your car before being allowed to purchase anything for it.....

Alot of people have "gear whine" trouble with motive I would go with the FRPP's if I were you
Old 07-07-2007, 08:58 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Mikes_BLK_GT

You should learn what you have currently equipped on your car before being allowed to purchase anything for it.....

Alot of people have "gear whine" trouble with motive I would go with the FRPP's if I were you
hehe.....ouch
Old 07-07-2007, 09:04 PM
GT_Stang
3rd Gear Member

I heard a lot about the whine problem. Did you change your rear when you installed your gears?
Old 07-07-2007, 09:10 PM
partsbill
3rd Gear Member

if you own a GT you've got a 8.8 ring and pinion, V6's have a 7.5 ring & pinion.
[IMG][/IMG]
Old 07-07-2007, 09:16 PM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

OK lesson #1: All mustang GT's(I'm assuming you have a GT)come with the standard ford 8.8" rear end you dont need to change it. Is your car an auto or a manual tranny? that will play a part in your gear decision.

Now w/o trying to be a jerk I will suggest you read these forums and your owners manual to learn more about your car before putting any money into mods, you will be much happier when done.
Old 07-07-2007, 09:49 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You should probably ask your parents before you go changing gears in one of their cars.
Old 07-08-2007, 01:54 AM
GT_Stang
3rd Gear Member

Its my car. And my parents hate ford. There more into luxury cars. Thanks for the 8.8 rear info. My cars an auto(kinda sucks). Do i need the frpp or motives are alright? I wanna know this for the future. Im either gonna buy some wheels this week or Gears or Intake/Tune. Thanks for the help. After buying the gears i Got to find a good mechanic. How much should installing cost?
Old 07-08-2007, 01:57 AM
DeStonn
4th Gear Member

Stick with the intake and tune. Ince you find a shop that is worth a damn THEN worry about gears...JMO
Old 07-08-2007, 02:05 AM
Mikes_BLK_GT
4th Gear Member

Whats wrong with the auto? Mine works just fine shifting manually or otherwise.

Get your gears from tillman speed they have decent prices thats where mine are coming from they are the frpp gears not the motives, as far as install do your research on whoever you pick to put them in but it should be maybe 300-500.

Again research the car dont just throw parts at it, and go with the cai/tune first....

Quick Reply: Gears question