Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your image and your image when your in your car

Search this Thread

Old 07-09-2007, 11:11 AM
sccaii
1st Gear Member

Default Your image and your image when your in your car

I have a curious question how others feel about this. Let me give you a little back ground. I have an 05 GT basic boltons, I'm 31 young educated professional with a wife in real estate. We have nice home do pretty well for ourselves living in northeast TN. Last week while driving to topsail island NC for vacation I had a situation arise while driving through Greensboro NC. While on I40 in pretty dense traffic blending in best I could i passed a very nice Jaq XK coupe or XKR....don't know had 12in wide after market wheels on the back. I was on cruise doing about 77 or so....he was probably doing 74 or so. The driver a young black male appears to be in his mid 30's took notice of me and all the sudden blasted out ahead of me. My wife told me to slow down which I did but there wasn't much I could do I was in a huge pack of cars. We begin to look out ahead and now the jag is beside a RT charger with some guys in it and a older Q45. They were lining up my lane and blocking the traffic in their 3 lanes trying to get me into a race which I wasn't interested in. Well to keep it short this went on for about 45 seconds they slowed the pack down to almost 60mph doing this but I never bit. Finally they went on thinking I was chicken most likely but that part I don't really care about. The discussion that followed with my wife was interesting and I wanted to know how you guys feel you are percieved. My argument in that situation was I wasn't involved because I wasn't "toeing the line"......however she thinks that because of the car I have(she thinks its a redneck car) and the situation that a casual observer could have easliy placed me right in the middle even though my intenetions were not to do so.

My question is how do you feel you are perceived and what do you think the overall public perception is of the new mustangs, older fox body's and so forth.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:18 AM
Sherwood06GT
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Your image and your image when your in your car

Actually, I think the Camaro is a redneck car, not the Mustang! Every Joe Schmo sporting a mullit and a wife beater shirt drives a Camaro! I think people in some of the older Mustangs don't like the newer ones because Ford skimmped on the motor with the 4.6 liter. They think their 5.0 is superior. (in some ways it may be). Either way, I really don't care what people think. I get a lot of compliments and looks in the Mustang, and the guys at the gas pumps do a lot of drooling! Screw the guys in Jags, RT Chargers, Camaros and anyone else who thinks they are superior. The S197 is a great car.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:19 AM
lqdslvr
1st Gear Member

As a 40 year old professional in a major metropolitan area, I'm curious about this as well. My 08 is on order. I have to say, I don't really care, I'm just curious. I rode a crotch rocket to work everyday for several years before leasing a 2006 BMW 325i. Now that my lease is up (2 years) and my wife has prevailed on me to get rid of the bike for perceived safety issues, I'm going back into a performance vehicle with 4 wheels. After I do the exhaust, I have no doubt that I will be setting off car alarms in the garage (my R1 with Akrapovic race exhaust did), but you only live once and should do what gives YOU pleasure (so long as your responsibilities are fulfilled), not live based on other's perceptions of you. I'm perceived in my firmas a bit eccentric, but so what?
Old 07-09-2007, 11:36 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

To people who know me, I'm a professional recent graduate who has good life ahead.

To people who don't know me, I'm an ugly short dude who seems to hate the world because he stares down and doesn't like to even talk to cashiers or waiters.

To people who see me in my car, I'm a downright cocky punk with a loud car, hat backwards, scruffy hair, unshaven. A heathen placing a strain on society.

All 3 are pretty accurate.
Old 07-09-2007, 11:47 AM
Dumpweed
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

To people who know me, I'm a professional recent graduate who has good life ahead.

To people who don't know me, I'm an ugly short dude who seems to hate the world because he stares down and doesn't like to even talk to cashiers or waiters.

To people who see me in my car, I'm a downright cocky punk with a loud car, hat backwards, scruffy hair, unshaven. A heathen placing a strain on society.

All 3 are pretty accurate.
hahaha
Old 07-09-2007, 12:03 PM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

[sm=funnypostabove.gif][sm=bustedsign.gif]
Old 07-09-2007, 12:11 PM
richmod
4th Gear Member

Who gives a rats **** how you're "percieved". You like the car? Thenenjoy it and screw everyone else and their perceptions and unsolicited opinions. Life's too short to be wasting your time and mental energy worrying about what others think of you. Be yourself, be nice to others, and have fun! Everything else will just fall in place.

And eliminate the word image form your vocabulary.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:16 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

I should start asking people what they think....i get compliments all the time so my image cant be bad right?

i have alot of ideason what people think but to me im just a good lookin pimp with a nice *** car
Old 07-09-2007, 12:19 PM
47Magic
1st Gear Member

You should consider 2 groups of judges for your car:

1. Women
Agood judge of the image of your car is what women think of it. Surprisingly majority of quality women seem to love the car. When I first brought mine home, I was ready for a major rejection. However my soon to be wife (a well educated attorney) thought it was beautiful. She said that I should definitely get it. Huge surprise here, since she hates my beloved 87-93 fox body style.

2. Other men.
Is there even a question here...? 99% of this group need a bib when they hear and see the car.
Old 07-09-2007, 12:25 PM
DRWS10
2nd Gear Member

I am a 22 year old college student with a 2005 V6 Conv and all the guys look at me as a little rich stuck up kid because they are just jealous of my carbut all the girls look at me as i obviously have money and he drives an awesome car so lets talk to him (which I LOVE!!!!)[/align][/align]In reality I am just a normal college student that worked his *** off, so yes I have some money but that is because I worked my *** off all my life to have that money and I spent it all on my car and still am paying for it.[/align][/align]I really dont care what others think as long as I am happy and have the frineds that I want to have!! oh yeah and the girls all over me!! haha[/align][/align]

Quick Reply: Your image and your image when your in your car