Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Clutch recommendations.

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 05:42 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

Default Clutch recommendations.

Well, burned through the factory clutch at 10K, dealership said we will install one of your choice for free, or you can have another factory one for free. Had them install a Centerforce DFX. Within 3 weeks, the flywheel bolts were coming loose, making the clutch stay engaged all the time. Payed the dealership $400 to basically re-install the clutch, correctly this time though (they used loc-tite on the bolts). Well, 5K later, car won't go into reverse unless the car isn't running, or I push in the clutch for about 45 seconds. Dealership says clutch is bad. I haven't been to the racetrack, and although I am not "easy" on my car, I never launch above 2500 either. Called Centerforce, they said it's probably fried from the 1st "bad" install.

So, I am looking for a new clutch, and need opinions. Could also be talked into a flywheel if it's worth it, so opinions on those are welcome as well. I have had Spec clutches before, and am not a fan of the chattering they seem to be associated with.
Old 07-10-2007, 05:46 PM
TrIpOd
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Clutch recommendations.

spec stage 3 with an aluminum flywheel and you'll be good
Old 07-10-2007, 05:55 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

Sounds like bad install to me. Spec of your choice and a new aluminum flywheel IMO.

a lighter flywheel will be noticeable and is easier on your bottom end. good mod.
Old 07-10-2007, 06:35 PM
jwgroovin
2nd Gear Member

I have a Spec Stage II+ and steel flywheel. Works fine for me--no chattering.

John
Old 07-10-2007, 07:51 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Which would you guys recommend, the spec 2 or the spec 2+, for a Mustang GT driven "crisply" every day but only going to the drag track once in a blue moon? Thanks.

Sleeper2
Old 07-10-2007, 09:24 PM
Stoenr
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: sleeper2

Which would you guys recommend, the spec 2 or the spec 2+, for a Mustang GT driven "crisply" every day but only going to the drag track once in a blue moon? Thanks.

Sleeper2
Id kind of like to hear opinions on that also.

I cant believe my clutch is still good with 18k hard driving, dragstrippin, road coarse action.
Old 07-10-2007, 09:38 PM
Black07gt
3rd Gear Member

i need help in this too!! my car has 3937 miles on it and i need a now clutch already . i really don't want to buy another clutch if i can claim it on warranty so, was the first clutch warranty? my dad works at the dealership and says clutches specially on mustangs don't have warranty, unless its a factory defect, and in my case its not a factory defect. so he can probably lie to ford and tell them the flywheel bolts were coming loose, making the clutch stay engaged all the time, and maybe that will make ford put in a new clutch for me?

[/align]
Old 07-10-2007, 10:07 PM
STANMAN
4th Gear Member

If you have a good relationship with your dealership, and it's service department, they will replace just about anything for you once. I mean my car has so many mods that if the dealership was shady they could blame almost any percievable problem that I every MAY have on an aftermarket part, but they don't because I have a good relationship with them. I mean others on this forum have gotten new leather on their seats, but only once. That is why I am waiting until next summer for my new skins, lol!!
Old 07-10-2007, 10:28 PM
Black07gt
3rd Gear Member

so you just went to the dealership and said you needed a now clutch and they gave you one? wow that a good dealer. were my dad works the company doesn't do that, every warranty was to be checked by a ford inpector to see if its warranty or not, all this because a service advisor was stealling A LOT of stuff from the insurances. anybody know of a dealership that can hook me up near south cali???????

[/align]
[blockquote]
ORIGINAL: STANMAN

If you have a good relationship with your dealership, and it's service department, they will replace just about anything for you once. I mean my car has so many mods that if the dealership was shady they could blame almost any percievable problem that I every MAY have on an aftermarket part, but they don't because I have a good relationship with them. I mean others on this forum have gotten new leather on their seats, but only once. That is why I am waiting until next summer for my new skins, lol!!
[/blockquote]
Old 07-10-2007, 10:37 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Black07gt

i need help in this too!! my car has 3937 miles on it and i need a now clutch already . i really don't want to buy another clutch if i can claim it on warranty so, was the first clutch warranty? my dad works at the dealership and says clutches specially on mustangs don't have warranty, unless its a factory defect, and in my case its not a factory defect. so he can probably lie to ford and tell them the flywheel bolts were coming loose, making the clutch stay engaged all the time, and maybe that will make ford put in a new clutch for me?

[/align]

I hate to tell you this ( seems others won't tell you..so I will ).. but you have one of two problems if your clutch is bad at that many miles..

1) bad from the factory

2) you can't drive a stick and need to get a auto trans.

JMO and ONLY that...!!!!

Rex

Quick Reply: Clutch recommendations.