Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Keep it or lose it?

Search this Thread

Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Keep it or lose it?

I agree with most of the others, I would probably keep both. However, that's provided that I had a good home for the Corvette. Storing it outside, even under a cover isn't going to keep it looking new and that's what you want if you plan on keeping it for a long time.

It also depends on your financial situation. If you're having financial hardship, then sell the car and get out of debt, purchase a house, etc.
I'm sure you're dad would want you to be happy, that has to be more important than any car.

If you do sell, then I wouldn't pay off the Mustang with the money, instead, I'd put it towards something "responsible". "Found" money can be few and far between. You should be cautious when you spend it.
Old 07-10-2007, 10:21 PM
rex7010
3rd Gear Member

First off.. I know what you are going though.. bummer stuff..

ask yourself .. what would my Dad want me to do..???

there is your aswer...!!!!

Rex
Old 07-10-2007, 11:26 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

The best advice I have read yet. It is good to give some grieving time for your father and keep his vette until you can make a clearer decision. Sorry for the loss...you are in my prayers.
ORIGINAL: Pantera72

People make alot of stupid decisions regarding deciding whether or not to keep or get rid of their loved ones possessions after they have passed on. Keep the vette for at least eight months to a year and allow yourself time to somewhat get over his death before you make any hasty decisions.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:39 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

First off im really sorry for your loss

It seems that the car being 6 years old and only having 10,000 miles on it your dad took extremely good care of that car. In turn, i would do the same. Who knows, maybe somtime a long way down the road that car will end up in your kid's hands. And so on and so forth..........

Keep the car. Cherish it
Old 07-10-2007, 11:49 PM
Humboldt Stang
3rd Gear Member

Sorry for your loss, I know how hard that can be.
I assume you were already prepared to keep and pay off your Stang prior to this, so keep the Vette as well.
Not that you would need a reminder, but every time you drove it or even looked at it you would feel your father's presence.
Many of us would love to have both, and now you have that.
Old 07-10-2007, 11:58 PM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

I'm sorry to hear of your loss. My dad's been gone for over 25 years, If he had left me a Corvette, I would hope to still have it. He left me a legacy of great memories, but that Vette is a tangible legacy that you could give to your own son or daughter someday. It will never lose it's value especially to you. And I agree with birdoffire make it a garage queen and keep really good care of it, you will appreciate it more and more as the years go by. I sold off bunches of stuff that my mom and dad had after they passed, I wish I hadn't. Make up your mind now and intend to never have financial trouble that would force you to sell it. Just my humble opinion, I'm a lot wiser now than I was back then. Still kickn' myself in the shorts for some of the stupid things I've done in life.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:02 AM
PennState
6th Gear Member

sorry to hear the bad news..i say keep both if u can keep up with it
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 AM
brendend
4th Gear Member

sorry for your loss. i lost my dad about a year and a half ago. ive kept almost everything he left me. id keep both and use the vette for special events.
Old 07-11-2007, 12:13 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I'm assuming you're more of a Mustang man than a Vette man, as you didn't say anything about how special the vette was.
My best advice is to take your time and sell it, getting the best price you can. Then put that into not just parts for your Mustang, but maybe doing something you wouldn't have normally done. Maybe taking an exotic vacation? Buying season tickets to your favorite ballteam? Getting a suede jacket from Ralph Lauren?
Old 07-11-2007, 03:45 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

I definitely agree with the guy who said to wait a few months before making a decision. Your head will be clearer. Keep in mind, no matter what you decide, if it makes you happy, then it's what your dad would have wanted.

Quick Reply: Keep it or lose it?