Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Do you manually shift your automatic?

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2007, 12:36 AM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Do you manually shift your automatic?

ORIGINAL: Audioi

BTW this is one weird transmission, it freewheels more than any other I have had and the plastic shifter is positievly the worst thing I have ever had in a car. Hopefully B&M will make a decent one soon for this car.
Seems to me if B&M (or any other producer of useful equipment) were going to make a decent shifter for a car that's been out here as long as these have, we'd have seen it by now.

I read a year-old thread somewhere in the Mustang universe that was supposed to be inside info that one manufacturer was within days of announcing such a device. Where is it today? Right.

Is it impossible, or is it just not likely to be a financial feather in someone's bonnet?

Inquiring minds want to know.

Where is our better shifter, eh?
Old 07-13-2007, 12:42 AM
stangoil
2nd Gear Member

I did manual shifts up to the point I install the stall and then i left it drive for racing. that maybe what caused my input shat to twist. i hope the new lentech is better. the level 10 tran is ok but still uses same input shaft and can not take the horsepower.
Old 07-13-2007, 01:23 AM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

If you define "traffic" as ordinary travel on city streets, shifting might be appropriate; I let the car do all that. If (and this is what I mean) "traffic" is bumper-to-bumper on the freeway, 35 to 15 to 30 to 5 to 45, etc., etc., etc., then

Defining what you mean by "shifting your automatic" as moving the lever from one notch to another every time a gear change is required, Nope.

If "shifting your automatic" means choosing an appropriate gear in unusual situations, Yup.

Shifting in traffic makes sense to me because:

1- it relieves the machine's little electronic mind of the responsibility to make all those critical decisions
2- it relieves the whirring things inside from making so many energy-wasting and cranium-jarring shifts
3- it keeps at least one of my hands busy; who know what projects the devil has in mind for an idle hand
4- it gives me practice at pretending to be in charge of what my car is doing, even though I know it knows best
5- (and this is serious) you got to figure your car has enough torque to start from a dead stop in third gear, you don't need a high rate of acceleration in traffic, the less often your transmission shifts, the less it wears.
6- so, yes, I shift into 2nd or 3rd in traffic, and into Dth when it opens up.
7- Sometimes I shift into a lower gear going down a steep hill, even though I know the same amount of energy has to be dissipated as heat, either by way of the transmission fluid/cooler to air ( ! ) or from the brake disks/calipers to air, and that brake pads are way less expensive than transmissions.
8- there probably isn't enough difference between shifting for yourself in traffic and letting the car-brain do it to worry about -- except it is either a waste of your energy to do it, or the transmission's limited life when it does it, and you know it
9- I remember reading that manual transmissions are designed, materially and functionally, so that the top gear will wear out at x miles, next-to-top after x/4 miles, and so on to bottom gear that is expected to last only a few hundred miles, so get into top gear as soon as practicable
10- an important European manufacturer did a study showing MPG depended most on RPMs, that "brisk" acceleration to cruising speed yielded fractionally more MPG than did longer-lasting periods of leisurely acceleration in lower gears at higher RPM, so get into top gear as soon as practicable
11- In traffic I shift once into an intermediate gear when it becomes a definite traffic condition, and once into top gear when the traffic clears
12- otherwise, let the little brain in the car do what it is getting paid for.
Old 07-13-2007, 07:20 AM
NachoStang

Please do not take this the wrong way. For those of you that are manually shifting your automatics, us manual tranny folks can tell the difference. Now hold on there! I'm not saying that having an automatic makes it any less of a muscle car. All of my 'Stangs havebeen manual shift. I guess I just enjoy having total control over the powertrain.
Old 07-13-2007, 09:45 AM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

My stang is manual, but my other cars are auto, I dont see the point of manual shifting an auto while in traffic, they were disigned for that. However I live sorrounded by mountains and when driving down the hill I do downshift manually I rather messup the transmission and save the brakes, also in some twisty roads it is convenient to lock the transmission in 2nd or 3rd to keep the car whithin the power band.I have never had an auto transmission problem.
Old 07-14-2007, 11:46 AM
2005mach1
4th Gear Member

I manual shift for tight twist roads and leave in drive for drag racing
Old 07-14-2007, 03:06 PM
grampa_stang
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: FyouGitive

If you define "traffic" as ordinary travel on city streets, shifting might be appropriate; I let the car do all that. If (and this is what I mean) "traffic" is bumper-to-bumper on the freeway, 35 to 15 to 30 to 5 to 45, etc., etc., etc., then

Defining what you mean by "shifting your automatic" as moving the lever from one notch to another every time a gear change is required, Nope.

If "shifting your automatic" means choosing an appropriate gear in unusual situations, Yup.

Shifting in traffic makes sense to me because:

1- it relieves the machine's little electronic mind of the responsibility to make all those critical decisions
2- it relieves the whirring things inside from making so many energy-wasting and cranium-jarring shifts
3- it keeps at least one of my hands busy; who know what projects the devil has in mind for an idle hand
4- it gives me practice at pretending to be in charge of what my car is doing, even though I know it knows best
5- (and this is serious) you got to figure your car has enough torque to start from a dead stop in third gear, you don't need a high rate of acceleration in traffic, the less often your transmission shifts, the less it wears.
6- so, yes, I shift into 2nd or 3rd in traffic, and into Dth when it opens up.
7- Sometimes I shift into a lower gear going down a steep hill, even though I know the same amount of energy has to be dissipated as heat, either by way of the transmission fluid/cooler to air ( ! ) or from the brake disks/calipers to air, and that brake pads are way less expensive than transmissions.
8- there probably isn't enough difference between shifting for yourself in traffic and letting the car-brain do it to worry about -- except it is either a waste of your energy to do it, or the transmission's limited life when it does it, and you know it
9- I remember reading that manual transmissions are designed, materially and functionally, so that the top gear will wear out at x miles, next-to-top after x/4 miles, and so on to bottom gear that is expected to last only a few hundred miles, so get into top gear as soon as practicable
10- an important European manufacturer did a study showing MPG depended most on RPMs, that "brisk" acceleration to cruising speed yielded fractionally more MPG than did longer-lasting periods of leisurely acceleration in lower gears at higher RPM, so get into top gear as soon as practicable
11- In traffic I shift once into an intermediate gear when it becomes a definite traffic condition, and once into top gear when the traffic clears
12- otherwise, let the little brain in the car do what it is getting paid for.
Couldn't have said it better myself. Now all we need is a "real" shifter. C'mon B&M, get
your act together.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:12 PM
Damon007

I do sometimes but not very often. I find myself switching the O/D button much more than shifting the lever.
Old 07-14-2007, 03:24 PM
guydon
2nd Gear Member

I'm a manual guy myself but if I had an auto I upshift and down shift all the time. Did it in my 95 T-bird lx for years and never had a problem.
Old 07-14-2007, 05:31 PM
Route 99
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wmtheflash

The only manually shifting I do is turning the overdrive on and off occassionally. Generally, it's a good idea in really heavy traffic or in the mountains.

Otherwise, I don't unless I'm decending a really steep grade.
+1 ...... I will also downshift manually when driving up steep hills like in San Francisco.

Quick Reply: Do you manually shift your automatic?