Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Why cant someone install their own cams?

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 06:02 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Why cant someone install their own cams?

Thanks for all of the info guy... I think im capable of it, but just way too nervous to ever attempt it.

Keep the opinions coming.

As for the guy who asked for mods. Lots of bolts on, no FI and probably will never FI
Old 07-18-2007, 06:40 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

My pleasure Joe. I got 40 hp with proper tuning and my mods. You can expect a little less without long tubes and a custom dynotune.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:37 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

Music city which cams did you go with? I remember reading your thread on them a while back and thats what got me started thinking about them.
Old 07-18-2007, 07:45 PM
P Zero
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Gene K

If it didnt come through in my first post the cams are the easy part. The valve springs are the tough part. Not sure on the 2005+ but on the SN95's if you drop one of the valves you have to pull the engine to get the head off.
I dont buy it. The only cars that youd have to pull/drop the engine is an flat type motor (Subaru, Porsche). Never on a V style engine have I seen it, and most definitely not a Ford. Well except for the 4.0L Aerostar.

OP, I say try it. Just make sure you get a service manual just in case you get stuck somewhere. Preferably a factory Ford manual. Yes theyre expensive, but theyre worth it. A LOT more detailed than a Chiltons or Haynes will ever be.
-P.
Old 07-18-2007, 09:56 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

Im actually in the process of installing the crower stageII cams now which are simialar to the comp cams stage III. the cam part is easy, but the springs are a bit--. I cant get my ford dealer to come up with a tool, even though I gave them the part number. I made my own tools and have the springs out, but when I was putting the new ones in my butter fingers dropped a lock and guess where it went, down the oil drain to the oil pan. guess I'll just go ahead and pull the motor and stroke it now instead of just pulling the pan. so if you do it yourself you may keep that in mind. its not rocket science just tedious and im sure the proper tool would help tremendously
Old 07-18-2007, 10:33 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: PLstang

Music city which cams did you go with? I remember reading your thread on them a while back and thats what got me started thinking about them.
Comp stage 3 with Beehives.
Old 07-18-2007, 10:35 PM
MusiccityGT
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: P Zero

ORIGINAL: Gene K

If it didnt come through in my first post the cams are the easy part. The valve springs are the tough part. Not sure on the 2005+ but on the SN95's if you drop one of the valves you have to pull the engine to get the head off.
I dont buy it. The only cars that youd have to pull/drop the engine is an flat type motor (Subaru, Porsche). Never on a V style engine have I seen it, and most definitely not a Ford. Well except for the 4.0L Aerostar.

OP, I say try it. Just make sure you get a service manual just in case you get stuck somewhere. Preferably a factory Ford manual. Yes theyre expensive, but theyre worth it. A LOT more detailed than a Chiltons or Haynes will ever be.
-P.
I have that on my mods page. It is factory ford.
Old 07-18-2007, 11:40 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

some things (cams, gears, clutch etc) should be left for the pros.
Dude changing a clutch is a cakewalk. Like a 3 out of 10 on the difficulty scale for sure.
Cams, on the other hand, should be left to the pros.
correct me if i am wrong...you ened to drop the transmission for a clutch. take a poll of how many of us have access to a lift.....i like just about everyone have jackstands and that is it. So to me changing the clutch would be extremely difficult.....I agree if you have a lift it isnt a hard job though.
Ive dropped the tranny on my brothers mustang many of times in our drive way. Granted he has a 5.0 but doing it with jack stands doesnt mean it makes it difficult it just makes it take longer.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:41 AM
Diabolical!
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: white07

ORIGINAL: nineinchnail1024

some things (cams, gears, clutch etc) should be left for the pros.
Dude changing a clutch is a cakewalk. Like a 3 out of 10 on the difficulty scale for sure.
Cams, on the other hand, should be left to the pros.
correct me if i am wrong...you ened to drop the transmission for a clutch. take a poll of how many of us have access to a lift.....i like just about everyone have jackstands and that is it. So to me changing the clutch would be extremely difficult.....I agree if you have a lift it isnt a hard job though.
Ive dropped the tranny on my brothers mustang many of times in our drive way. Granted he has a 5.0 but doing it with jack stands doesnt mean it makes it difficult it just makes it take longer.
+1. I went through two clutch swaps on my '95 5.0 using jackstands.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:45 AM
Gohan785
1st Gear Member

my cams just came in the mail today the instructions are insane....unless your a mechanic or really good with cars there is no way u can do this...if anyone wants to read these instructions i will send them to you....i would rather have a professional do this rather then me and my friends

Quick Reply: Why cant someone install their own cams?