Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New GT, Break in period and mods??

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2007, 03:00 PM
montanajb
1st Gear Member

Default New GT, Break in period and mods??

My 2008 GT is supposed to be here in about two weeks. I already have the FRPP cold air intake/tuner, and some borla stinger cat-backs sitting in my garage. My question is, should I break the engine in before I put these mods on or is it ok to install them as soon as I have the car? Also what is the best way to break in these new engines? The last new vehicle I got was an 05 F150 and I just drove the hell out of it right from the start. I want to be a little more careful with my (actually the wife's) Stang! Thanks for any input.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:07 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: New GT, Break in period and mods??

No break-in needed, drive the snot outta it!

If it were me, I'd at least wait a bit till adding on the CAI and exhaust, to better appreciate the difference. But I don't see why you shouldn't be able to add them right off the bat.
Old 07-18-2007, 03:40 PM
montanajb
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the input. After waiting a few months for the car it'll be hard not to burn out leaving the dealership!!
Old 07-18-2007, 03:47 PM
jrm1900
2nd Gear Member

Remember it's not just the engine, you have to break in gears, brake rotors, pads etc. Allow your car some 1000 miles of driving at different speeds, it is a small sacrifice at least worth if you intend to have your car for a long time.
I'd wait 1k miles and a month before installing any mod, this period will let you test your car and make sure everything is ok, if your car comes with some problem from the factory how do you intend to make a claim to the dealerif it was already modified. this is just my opinion.
Good luck and enjoy your new ride
Old 07-18-2007, 03:53 PM
ZZmustang
Banned

Drive the car for at least 300 Miles, Change the oil and filter. A new engine will clean off the bearing surfaces 10,000 th or so of the surface, and deposit that in the oil. Also there will be piston ring to cylinder wall initial scrubbing. After the oil change , drive it like you want. But don't stand on it hard until that crap in the oil is gone. You filter should trap it all, but when you stand on it, sometimes, The oil system goes into Filter bypass, cause the filter can't keep up with the oil needed. When you have clean oil in there that condition wont really matter.
Old 07-18-2007, 05:23 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

after the car's at normal op temp, just vary engine speeds during driving so when you do feel comfortable beating on it (mileage-wise), the engine has been run at the higher rpms and won't go into "shock"...
p.s. that FRPP CAI/tuner is one of the most expensive and lowest gain-yielding setups out there...not trying to be mean or anything...is it too late for you to go a different route with that?
Old 07-18-2007, 05:27 PM
NyFordTech
3rd Gear Member

The owners manual say it dosnt need an exxesive break in, i would go easy for the first 1000 miles. as far as modding it it dosnt matter.I had alot of my mods before i even had the car. Brought it home from my work (the dealer) next morning started the installs. Have Fun with it man
Old 07-19-2007, 10:31 AM
montanajb
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: s197richie

after the car's at normal op temp, just vary engine speeds during driving so when you do feel comfortable beating on it (mileage-wise), the engine has been run at the higher rpms and won't go into "shock"...
p.s. that FRPP CAI/tuner is one of the most expensive and lowest gain-yielding setups out there...not trying to be mean or anything...is it too late for you to go a different route with that?
It's not too late. But this car is going to be my wife's daily driver. I like the idea of having the full 3 year warranty and everything on the parts and car. She doesn't want anything TOO powerful either. (I don't think there is such a thing). I may still end up going with a C&L and Brenspeed tune. I can't decide. Which would you reccomend? If I could talk the wife into taking my Navigator so the Stang could be MY dd, I'd just order a supercharger.

Thanks for the input.
Old 07-19-2007, 01:22 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

^^^I'd go C&L street/sct tuner combo from brenspeed if you're manual, or a similar setup from bamachips if you're auto...re: the s/c comment, remember these engines have cast rotating assy's and have a rather low "danger zone" (around 420 hp) without swapping to forged internals, not to mentionwhat the clutch and trans are rated at...but anyway, yeah bren or bama for the combo makes for an excellent first mod...unless the warranty issue is stressing you, short gears, sticky rubber and some rear ca's would really make you smile more...hope this was helpful...
Old 07-19-2007, 01:41 PM
acascianelli
5th Gear Member

I took it easy for 1000 miles, then changed the oil. I waiting till almost 10k miles to start modding because I wanted to be sure there were no mechanical problems.

Quick Reply: New GT, Break in period and mods??