Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto- X

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2007, 06:45 PM
white07
4th Gear Member

Default Auto- X

So this weekend I think im gonna do a little auto-x. Im kind of scarred cause ive never done this and I really dont know how well my driving skills are in the area of turns at fast speeds or as fast as you can speeds. Im gonna spin out arent I?[sm=boohoo.gif]
Old 07-19-2007, 06:53 PM
ilmor
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: Auto- X

Nothing to be scared of. Just enter the novice class; usually they will provide some instruction to help you out. Take it easy and work your way up. Before you know it you'll be flying around the course! If you don't spin out you won't know your limits!
Old 07-19-2007, 06:56 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I did my first novice class last month.... Believe me, I was terrified, especially pulling up for the first time. You've never pushed your car like you will in an auto-x!

But once you hit the first turn youll be stunned how 'in tune' you are with your car. You'll feel it more than you ever had, and you'll run times as fast as other novices, which is all you need to be aiming for.

Just do it!
Old 07-19-2007, 07:37 PM
moe07
2nd Gear Member

just take your time and you will be fine. you will have an instructor with you to learn the ropes. i was sh***ing my pants the first time i went because it was raining. text month i will be going on the ninth time out on a road course. relax and injoy.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:43 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

53f/51r worked well for me on the Pirelli's - if you are still on them

remeber this - SLOW IN FAST OUT

brake harder and longer than you think you should. brake in a straight line. if you are on the brakes while you are turning the wheel you broke way too long or too late. you should be accelerating thru the turn.
Old 07-19-2007, 07:46 PM
BlackBetty
2nd Gear Member

I've got about four or five under my belt, and the one thing everybody told me is "air up your tires." You lose a bit of grip, but you won't destroy your tires with shoulder rollover. Take your first lap fast enough that you can tell where you can go faster, but not so fast that you spin on lap 1. Also, I like to have a pretty full tank, as fuel slosh in this car is terrible and I would always get the "4 miles to empty" light and beep right in the middle of a run, which scared the crap out of my the first time. Also, don't worry about getting off the line as soon as the flag drops. This isn't a drag race, and the time only starts when you cross the timing lights.

Haven't gotten to race at all this summer; someone ramped a 700 hp carbon fiber race-prep Vette over the berm surrounding the Ford plant a couple months ago, totaling the car. Needless to say Ford won't let anyone run there anymore. (Don't let that scare you though; autocrosses are very safe and that car was just too much for the track to handle (they got going over 100). You won't have any danger in a heavy, 300 horse car.)
Old 07-19-2007, 09:25 PM
orange S197GT
1st Gear Member

I've been autocrossing for years although this is my first season with my Mustang. The only advice I would give you is to concentrate on learning the lines of the course. Get to your event early and walk the course early and as often as possible. Ask questions. As a novice they should provide someone to ride along with you. Listen to them. Work a corner....several corners. Especially the ones where you think you're losing time. Watching the fast guys or girls go through these sections will help you see what you might be doing wrong. Don't be afraid to push yourself. Your limits are most likely lower than the cars limits. Just don't do something stupid.

If you do these things and just compare times to other novices whether they're in your class or not you'll earn the respect of the regulars. I know in my region the people who act like they have some sense and really try gain way more respect than the people who think they already know it all go out there and drive like idiots.

Have fun and good luck! Autocrossing is tons of fun!
Old 07-19-2007, 10:11 PM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

oh yeah - i'll break your heart now lol

you will never,never,NEVER beat those Evo and STI bastards - get used to it
Old 07-19-2007, 10:55 PM
Sprzout
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: RodeoFlyer

oh yeah - i'll break your heart now lol

you will never,never,NEVER beat those Evo and STI bastards - get used to it
Never say never...Their cars could self destruct on the course all at the same point, or they could all DNF, or they could kill all of the cones on the course... Of course, the likelihood of that happening is about as good as Scarlett Johanssen agreeing to marry me, so I don't think it'll happen.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:17 AM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Its possible to beat the STI / EVO but it would be difficult and require some fairly deep pockets.

I know that the Roush Stage3 is quicker round a couple tracks than an EVO / STI. But they were stock versus a fairly modified stang.

Quick Reply: Auto- X