Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto- X

Search this Thread

Old 07-20-2007, 12:31 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Auto- X

Well its at a local airport where I will be doing it and I dont think there will be an instructor in the car with me. Its a A&M car club (local college:aggies) practice and its open to anyone but yeah ive always wanted to do this but just a little pregame gitters. Well reading over yalls comments its making me excited im just sad my best friend wont be there with me cause he has to work and his car isnt ready to be driven yet but ill hopefully have some guys from the local car club with me.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:32 AM
RodeoFlyer
4th Gear Member

On a road course - sure

AutoX- NOPE!

You can't beat that go-kart wheelbase and awd. Plus for them a tune is worth like 75hp compared to our 25. They are flat out sick badass rice ball rockets lol.
Old 07-20-2007, 12:41 AM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Yeah least you only have to worry about the US market EVO's....I have to worry about the ones in the video below. 400hp factory standard. And better diffs, yaw control etc etc. Half the stuff that was removed fro the US version. Guessing it wouldn't pass emissions there though. Not sure why its UK spec only though they dont even get sold in the rest of Europe.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1ZWJ...ed&search=
Old 07-20-2007, 06:29 AM
Jrob27
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: wozz

Yeah least you only have to worry about the US market EVO's....I have to worry about the ones in the video below. 400hp factory standard. And better diffs, yaw control etc etc. Half the stuff that was removed fro the US version. Guessing it wouldn't pass emissions there though. Not sure why its UK spec only though they dont even get sold in the rest of Europe.

Holy crap! the left rear wheel was off the ground in that high speed corner....my goodness....
Best of luck to you, just go out and have fun!
Old 07-20-2007, 09:37 AM
p51mstg
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Jrob27

ORIGINAL: wozz

Holy crap! the left rear wheel was off the ground in that high speed corner....my goodness....
Best of luck to you, just go out and have fun!
That was funny - I liked when the guy passes the Lambo shouting, "lew-za!" This is the same moron that didn't like a new Shelby when he test drove it, but at least nothing is sacred to him.

Watching that wheel come off the ground reminded me of dirt track racing, except it's the left front wheel that lifts off for them.

Good luck on the auto-x. We used to have a club at my college that did it, and I always wanted to try it - never did, and still regret that.
Old 07-20-2007, 09:41 AM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

The Focus ST does that as well. Will lift a rear wheel in the wet going round a corner. So does my car and a fair few others I can think of. You have not had a good day at the track unless you have turned your car into a tripod.

And no he doesnt like the shelby due to its naff handling which to be fair. Compared to most European cars its really not up to much. However he did say the Roush was a brilliant car. He just thought the mods on the shelby like the brakes etc were sadly lacking due to the extra weight. Which I can understand. I would personally rather have the GT and build it up than have the GT500 due to the better handling of the GT and lower weight etc. Its a better platform for me to build what I want out of the car.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:07 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Everyone else has said good things for you to remember. Only one thing left out. HAVE FUN!!!
I can guarantee, this will be more fun than you imagined. Its a great rush for your first few events. You will have butterflies as you sit in line waiting for your run. Your palms will sweat, its a surreal feeling the first few times. Then it becomes old hack and you start to actually plot your lines through the turns and modulate the throttle to get the tailend out or tuck it in. I have not done anything in my Mustang yet. I have only auto-x in my 83 Datsun Z. Ive been to Nationals in Topeka KS every year since 94, except for the last 3 years due to running my own shop.
Its funny how someone made the comment of not trying to beat EVOs or STIs. When I started, the Neons were given alot of factory support and cash. ALOT of the good drivers went to them. I couldnt beat a neon in my Z unless its driver was a newbie. Yes, they were that good with the suspension package available from the factory. My first time at Nationals, out of 52 entries in my class, 48 were Neons. It looked like the damn parking lot outside the factory.

Anyway, just keep your head high and ENJOY the experience. Dont try to be a bada$$. That will only make you look like a dumba$$. If you spin out and smash a family of cones, so what. EVERYONE has done the same thing.
Old 07-20-2007, 10:42 AM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

The SRT4 was never sold here never actually seen one run. The Neon was sold a few years ago and then dissapeared off the market. Was not able to compete with the European rivals in that segment. Only cars Dodge sell here now are the Caliber and the SRT10.

Looking at the spec list of the SRT4 it just looks like they stuck most aftermarket parts on it at the factory. Curious as to how it would fair against a european Focus ST, or Megane 230. Astra VXR etc.