Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

08's Starting To Arrive!

Search this Thread

Old 07-21-2007, 09:51 AM
2cokeman
5th Gear Member

Default RE: 08's Starting To Arrive!

There is no option for sunroof
Old 07-21-2007, 11:14 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: marcuskeeler

As a European, I never saw or understood the whole concept of next years cars being for sale now. How can a car sold in August 07 be an 08 car? When you sell that car in 3 years time, would you call it an 07 or 08 car?
Everybody seems to get all worked up about it as well, don't you guys see even the slightest bit of marketing BS there?
Oh yea, I see it.
Whats a guy to do?
Buy at the earliest release or at the model year end?
Old 07-21-2007, 12:15 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Model end.
In Aug 07, while all the "Look at me, I got an 08"crowd is queing up justto get the latest mycolor cup holder, you're buying a discounted [new] '07
Old 07-21-2007, 01:11 PM
FordDude
2nd Gear Member

Default Time to change section title?

So is it time to change this section title to 2005,2006,2007 and 2008 Mustang, or 2005 to 2008 Mustang, or S197 Mustang? fd
Old 07-21-2007, 01:15 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Time to change section title?

Exactly my point
Old 07-21-2007, 01:23 PM
lqdslvr
1st Gear Member

Model end.
In Aug 07, while all the "Look at me, I got an 08"crowd is queing up justto get the latest mycolor cup holder, you're buying a discounted [new] '07
But three years from now, the guys who got a slightly better deal to buy an 07 instead of an 08 will have a four year old car, not a three year old car. Even two months from now, the dramatic drop in value for having a car that's already a year old model-wise as opposed to the current year will more than offset the savings. I've bought both ways in my lifetime and they each have their drawbacks.

As far as Euros not getting the model year thing, do you understand things like fiscal years, or is the concept of having types of years that begin and end at times different than the calendar year completely alien to you?
Old 07-21-2007, 01:27 PM
TPony
6th Gear Member

Guess I got to take my tail to the local dealer and check them out.
Old 07-21-2007, 01:33 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

But three years from now, the guys who got a slightly better deal to buy an 07 instead of an 08 will have a four year old car, not a three year old car.
How can that be true ?!?!?! Three years from now you'll have a four year old car ??? LMAO Sir, you have swallowed the marketing crap more fully than even the car industry could have ever hoped for LOL

or is the concept of having types of years that begin and end at times different than the calendar year completely alien to you?
Well, here you may have me, I hold my hands up. You see, in Europe, the year starts 1st January, not 1st August. If we buy a car/house/boat/dog in 2007, it stays 2007, we don't call it 2008.

You have to try to focus a little more on what is happening. The industry sees a lull in the middle of the year so they start putting out revised models and label them the following year models, it's happened that way in the States for decades. It isn't a bad thing if it works, but don't delude yourself that your car is 6 months younger than it actually is. In a couple of years from now themodel year of your ride will be utterly meaningless, the important thing was, is and will forever be the date it was built..

Give me strength
Old 07-21-2007, 02:27 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

But three years from now, the guys who got a slightly better deal to buy an 07 instead of an 08 will have a four year old car, not a three year old car.
How can that be true ?!?!?! Three years from now you'll have a four year old car ??? LMAO Sir, you have swallowed the marketing crap more fully than even the car industry could have ever hoped for LOL

or is the concept of having types of years that begin and end at times different than the calendar year completely alien to you?
Well, here you may have me, I hold my hands up. You see, in Europe, the year starts 1st January, not 1st August. If we buy a car/house/boat/dog in 2007, it stays 2007, we don't call it 2008.

You have to try to focus a little more on what is happening. The industry sees a lull in the middle of the year so they start putting out revised models and label them the following year models, it's happened that way in the States for decades. It isn't a bad thing if it works, but don't delude yourself that your car is 6 months younger than it actually is. In a couple of years from now themodel year of your ride will be utterly meaningless, the important thing was, is and will forever be the date it was built..

Give me strength
Ok, ok, I think you're just a little confused. It's very elementary, but since you're having a hard time with it, I guess I will spell it out for you.

You see, the poster is talking about model years, not actualy years. That's important, too.

As soon as you buy a 2007, no matter when it was made, it is still a 2007 and when a new model is introduced it will depreciate considerably. It doesn't matter when the vehicle was purchased or when it was produced during the model run.

In three years you will have a 2007 that has depreciated by three years. While a 2008, will have only have depreciated two years.

Auctioneers, used car buyers, and used car buying guides do not distinguish between a vehicle made early in the model year or late in the model year, nor does it matter when the vehicle was purchased.

It can make a big difference if you trade in vehicles often. If he trades the car in 2009, then a 2008 will be worth more than a 2007.

Mustang should have a lot of improvements in two years. Recall that the 2010 model year stats in summer 2009. There are some that are willing to purchase the vehicle now, own it two years, and then trade in for the 2010.

In additon, improvements can be made between model years. Many of which, don't show up on any options list. I was reading somewhere that 2008 Mustangs have a redesigned cowl, for example, possibly in response to a few cars that have leaked.

I'm not going to get into some argument about calendar dates and Europe, that's juvenile. I think most adults are more than capable of grasping the difference between fiscal years, calendar years, and car model years.

It only makes sense that vehicle manufacturers would introduce new models during the summer months when many people are looking for cars. Why does that surprise you?
Old 07-21-2007, 02:42 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The point is that it's 2007, to sell/buy a car now and swallow it being a 2008 car now is utter bullcrap. The reality is that it's a 2007 car with updates. It's not terminology, it's not symantics, it's just rubbish.
Listen, I don't care, I can see through it, but I think that a lot of folk are falling for the spin, like you seem to be.

In three years you will have a 2007 that has depreciated by three years. While a 2008, will have only have depreciated two years.
Not if you bought it in 2007 -Can't you see that ? It's NOT a 2008 car, you bought it in Sept 07 !!!

Please please don't tell me you guys don't look at build dates when you buy cars ? Tell me you have more sense !

Quick Reply: 08's Starting To Arrive!