Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Spydershaft installed! Review and things to look out for....

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 06:39 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Spydershaft installed! Review and things to look out for....

Odiaz, I didnt see that writeup before.... I just followed the one on s197forum.com. So far everthing seems ok...

And interesting example on the rpm/speed thing...... Now im even more confused.
Old 07-23-2007, 10:59 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

I forgot to pointout spyder responded to my emails for help promptly, but Im hoping everything is sorted out... still watching for a leak.
Old 07-24-2007, 08:45 PM
spyder7724
4th Gear Member

If any of you guys have questions about the install or the driveshaft you can email me through the website or Pm me here also. I just one of you guys and try to keep up on everything when I can so I can help you guys out whenever possible. I will be away for a few days for a family funeral but should be back this weekend.
I also have a write someone else did on my website
http://www.leonardracingproducts.com...structions.pdf
it has pics and wrench sizes for most of the bolts plus a few tips for doing the install.
As far as the flange is concerned I do recommend buying a small P/S pulley-steering wheel-gear puller. I got one at advanced auto for like $8 and it has been worth it's weight in gold. A lot of the guys that can slide the flange off easily have already had gears installed so it makes the flange must easier to remove a second time than if it's totally factory. Most of the time the new flange will slide on to the splines of the pinion gear with very little trouble but of course every car is different.
I'll always work with you guys to acheive the best possible results.
oh timmay I did send your stuff out so it should be getting to you soon.

Old 07-24-2007, 09:25 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: spyder7724

If any of you guys have questions about the install or the driveshaft you can email me through the website or Pm me here also. I just one of you guys and try to keep up on everything when I can so I can help you guys out whenever possible. I will be away for a few days for a family funeral but should be back this weekend.
I also have a write someone else did on my website
http://www.leonardracingproducts.com...structions.pdf
it has pics and wrench sizes for most of the bolts plus a few tips for doing the install.
As far as the flange is concerned I do recommend buying a small P/S pulley-steering wheel-gear puller. I got one at advanced auto for like $8 and it has been worth it's weight in gold. A lot of the guys that can slide the flange off easily have already had gears installed so it makes the flange must easier to remove a second time than if it's totally factory. Most of the time the new flange will slide on to the splines of the pinion gear with very little trouble but of course every car is different.
I'll always work with you guys to acheive the best possible results.
oh timmay I did send your stuff out so it should be getting to you soon.

Cool beans. I talked to a guy that installed my buddies spydershaft and he recommend that I apply some black RTVsealant/gasket maker on the pinion shaft behind the pinion nut. I'll try that and see if it works. If so I'll make sure to mail the new stuff back to ya.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:07 PM
superiormirage
2nd Gear Member

This thread has some of the greatest 'how-does-that work' examples EVER! We have a magic mustang that drops weight INSTANTLY, a mustang with a automatic RPM/cruise button that God watches over, and a Mustang engine in a tank.

I laughed for 10 minutes after reading those. :-)

Ohnoesaz, congrats on the new driveshaft! I am glad you're enjoying it. I am teasing you about those example, I thought they did a admirable job of explaining the concepts.

And they were damn funny. =)

Old 07-24-2007, 11:44 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Im creatively stupid.
Old 07-25-2007, 01:53 PM
Timmay!!!
4th Gear Member

Hey spyder, I got the stuff today so I should be able to get up under the car Friday, If not tomorrow. I'll try the Sealant first and see if that works but if not I'll pull the old flange and try the new one. What about the pinionseal? How do you change that out? Can it be done with simple hand tools or do I need to have it pressed in or anything. Not a real pro on carsso I don't want to mess anything up.
Old 07-25-2007, 02:45 PM
Feng Houzi
3rd Gear Member

your RMP's drop from the fact that you are able to comfortably drive that speed in a higher gear... The ratio is the same... I had to read this thread twice just to get it straight in my head... The lower weight makes the car feel more peppy at lower RPM's causing you to shift earlier meaning that instead of driving 40 in 3rd gear, you are driving it in 4th gear, all with the same pickup and acceleration... is that clear?
Old 07-25-2007, 05:13 PM
Stage4
2nd Gear Member

Changing drivestafts CANNOT change rpm's at any given speed. You have a rigid connection between crankshaft - transmission - driveshaft - gears - tires. No matter what the car/driveshaft weigh, how big they are, etc, the only thing that can change the rpm's at a given speed is GEAR changes - either through the transmission or the rear end. While the car will seem lighter and quicker, at 70 mph in the same gear (say 5th), any driveshaft will still be at 2800 rpm (or whatever that number is depending on your gear ratios)
Old 07-25-2007, 06:35 PM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Wait a minute.... Did I forget to mention I installed 2.90 gears during the driveshaft install???? Dang, no wonder none of this is adding up. My bad!

Of course I'm kidding.

Quick Reply: Spydershaft installed! Review and things to look out for....