Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood pins installed - tips/warnings

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2007, 02:10 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: hood pins installed - tips/warnings

Get long enough pins.... I never thought of them actually being too short. I was actually gonna make a mistake of getting the ones we have in auto zone which are like 3 inches... don't think that would work lol.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:21 AM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

i think you will need more than 4 inches. maybe 6? i cant say for sure, i threw the packaging out. i'll tell u this tho, at pepboys there is a kit for 12.99. it needs to be longer than those. there is a trick however. you can get those, and use a nut and some loctite and a spare bolt to lengthen the pins effectively. or you can do what i did and weld the nuts to the support to get the height up.

it was scary punching holes in my hood, and one is 1/4 inch forward, but no one can tell unless you measure.

a well worth it mod!
I bought this kit yesterday...I think it is made by Spectre....honestly, the quality of this kit is VERY good...everything is stainless...no cheap chrome. I bought the lanyards also for 4.99....plastic coated and again, very good quality.

I had absolutely no problem with height. For the price, the fitment was excellent, the quality was excellent, and they look gorgeous.

I took my time with this mod, as I was VERY nervous about drilling the hood, length, placement, etc. Took me about 3 1/2 hours, but 1 1/2 hrs was just looking for the perfect mounting spot.

I decided to mount them in the radiator brackets, where there was an existing hole for the little plastic push pin. I drilled the hole out in the bracket toa 1/2 inch. Location is exactly in the middle of the fog lights on the hood. Looks very clean underhood.

I'll try and post pics later as well.
Old 07-24-2007, 11:26 AM
Lance9386
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

but my hood realy does shake.. and i hate when ppl talk **** about how its fake..

i dunno.. maybe ill grow some ***** and jsut do it
just have it done somewhere, i paid a local performance shop 40 bucks and had it done right..
Old 07-24-2007, 12:03 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

i think you will need more than 4 inches. maybe 6? i cant say for sure, i threw the packaging out. i'll tell u this tho, at pepboys there is a kit for 12.99. it needs to be longer than those. there is a trick however. you can get those, and use a nut and some loctite and a spare bolt to lengthen the pins effectively. or you can do what i did and weld the nuts to the support to get the height up.

it was scary punching holes in my hood, and one is 1/4 inch forward, but no one can tell unless you measure.

a well worth it mod!
I think welding would be more scary than drilling, but thats just me.
I can just see those welds breaking loose or rusting after a few months.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:31 PM
BigDave
3rd Gear Member

My Ford Pins that I bought from Jegs were too short by about 1/2"
I mounted them on little standoff brackets that I made, but welding threaded rod to the end makes better sense (but welding stainesss is different than regular steel).
Old 07-24-2007, 03:35 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

mustangesq - ur right, it was the spectre kit. i cant believe yours fit! i did mine on the metal mounting brackets for the radiator support, drilled through the open holes to make them, well, opener. then when mounting through it they were too short, so we welded the nuts on above it.

lance -prolly the bestidea!

157db - one weld did break loose when tightening the second bolt on for rigidity. the radiator metal isnt as nice as the nuts, lol! we did however uber weld the sh*t out of them after that. they won't be going anywhere, and if they do, my buddy will weld it again for me.

going to take pics right now, brb!
Old 07-24-2007, 03:42 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

here's one

[IMG]local://upfiles/65952/0F758BD12824472F94B9C54FD5494EED.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-24-2007, 03:43 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

here's two

[IMG]local://upfiles/65952/C317E0B2F7B04C6EACBD333AFA514CDF.jpg[/IMG]
Old 07-24-2007, 03:43 PM
MustangEsq
2nd Gear Member

mustangesq - ur right, it was the spectre kit. i cant believe yours fit! i did mine on the metal mounting brackets for the radiator support, drilled through the open holes to make them, well, opener. then when mounting through it they were too short, so we welded the nuts on above it.

lance -prolly the bestidea!

157db - one weld did break loose when tightening the second bolt on for rigidity. the radiator metal isnt as nice as the nuts, lol! we did however uber weld the sh*t out of them after that. they won't be going anywhere, and if they do, my buddy will weld it again for me.

going to take pics right now, brb!
Honestly, I am shocked....sounds like the exact same spot I did mine. However, I have the bottom nut as far down as you can possibly go on the pin...maybe only 2-3 threads. Things are on there rock solid though.

I'll try and post some pics tonite, under and outer hood.
Old 07-24-2007, 03:44 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

here's 3, a shot of it under the hood. btw sorry for the close ups but its in the garage.

[IMG]local://upfiles/65952/E09B26832BAE40F98CE7E8861E501405.jpg[/IMG]

Quick Reply: hood pins installed - tips/warnings