Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

hood pins installed - tips/warnings

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-2007, 01:08 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default hood pins installed - tips/warnings

just did em today, pics soon. i gota kit (i think sparco, but i will check for sure) from pep boys. the kits was 12.99. separately, i got plastic coated lanyards for 4.99. this job was an insane mess. i decided to mount them where the holes on the radiator support were. i drilledthrough the holes on the support to allow the pins to clear so i can putone bolt on the underside, and the other on the top to keep themsecure.so i had to take off my wheel well fenders, my head lights, my front bumper, radiator support and cover, etc... it was easy because i was able to usea lift and pneumatic tools. also, i had some friends helping. anyway, so we drill the hoodeverything is all lined up and i go to close the hood to see if it clears, and wouldnt you know, the pinsaren't long enough. so we welded the nuts to the radiator support to give them extra height. that worked. it took close to 5 hours to get it perfect,which was unexpected. they look awesome now!

tips/warnings:
[ul][*]get long enough pins, lol.[*]drill from the underside of the hood (remove the lining).[*]don't screw the plates down too tight or your hood will appear dented.[*]mount the pins properly before drilling the hood, then put grease or something on the tips of them, close the hood, and see where it marked. that is where you will drill.[*]if you look under the liner, there are metal crosses that pop out. that will help you line up for when you need to drill.[*]should you get pins too short, you can get bolts the same size as the pins and link the pins to the bolts with a nut and red loctite. thatstuff never comes appart. blue loctite may not hold.[*]also, should you get pins too short, you can put a bolt through the underside of the radiator support and put a nut on that. make sure the bolt is short enough to leave some space in the nut for your pin. don't forget loctite.[*]you can drill the holes on the hooda bit bigger than the holes in the plates since the plates will cover them.[*]take your time!![/ul]
happy pinning, pics to come soon.
Old 07-22-2007, 01:32 AM
Burnsy
5th Gear Member

Default RE: hood pins installed - tips/warnings

haha- thanks for the tips, get pics up asap
Old 07-23-2007, 09:17 AM
Boozshey
5th Gear Member

How long were the pins so we know when we buy ours if we need longer ones?
Old 07-23-2007, 02:50 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

god.. im so nervous about this.. i want to do it so bad.. but am so scared im gunna F up
Old 07-23-2007, 03:29 PM
MrSandman
5th Gear Member

Get fake ones.

ORIGINAL: GTstangB.F.D.M.

god.. im so nervous about this.. i want to do it so bad.. but am so scared im gunna F up
Old 07-23-2007, 03:36 PM
GTstangB.F.D.M.
5th Gear Member

but my hood realy does shake.. and i hate when ppl talk **** about how its fake..

i dunno.. maybe ill grow some ***** and jsut do it
Old 07-23-2007, 05:49 PM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: Boozshey

How long were the pins so we know when we buy ours if we need longer ones?
+1
"dont do what I did....."
Well, what did you do exactly? We need more info.
How short is too short?
Old 07-23-2007, 08:51 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i think you will need more than 4 inches. maybe 6? i cant say for sure, i threw the packaging out. i'll tell u this tho, at pepboys there is a kit for 12.99. it needs to be longer than those. there is a trick however. you can get those, and use a nut and some loctite and a spare bolt to lengthen the pins effectively. or you can do what i did and weld the nuts to the support to get the height up.

it was scary punching holes in my hood, and one is 1/4 inch forward, but no one can tell unless you measure.

a well worth it mod!
Old 07-23-2007, 09:29 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

A scary mod ...maybe... but necessary in your case GTstangB.F.D.M. Not that hard really but I see your concerns. I was at a car show this past weekend and saw some real and fake ones ...all I can say is that pin is long at least five inches on the one I saw. lldsandsll post some pics for everyone ASAP...the natives are getting restless!
Old 07-24-2007, 12:55 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

my bad, i just got the lanyards on tonight. i will take pics tomorrow, I PROMISE!!! gonna have to be after work tho. expect it around 4 or 5pm. sorry guys!

Quick Reply: hood pins installed - tips/warnings