Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Transmission/car debate

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2007, 05:56 PM
minion4567

Default Transmission/car debate

Hi, I'm planning to get my first car in the next day or two. I have to choose between a GT500 or a Saleen S281 SC, one of my problems is I've never driven manual so I've been hesitating about the GT500 much (the saleen would be in automatic as the alternative). I really don't know what do anymore, I'm willing to learn manual, but I'd most likely have to get the 500 and use it for practice, but the wonder of how troublesome manual can be is what stops me. Which should I get anyway, and what transmission/car do you think would suit me?

(I hope this is the place where I should be posting this)

I mainly like to cruise and relax, and soooometimes hit the gas depending on what I'm listening to. What should I do? I've never driven stick and I don't know how well that goes with cruising, and with the automatic people make me feel as if it's wrong by thinking about getting an automatic. I'm really looking foward to joining the mustang community but these two debates have been stopping me.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:02 PM
Skywatcher

Default RE: Transmission/car debate

I'm not sure the GT500 would be the perfect car to practice learning how to drive a manual.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:05 PM
minion4567

I'm out of clues on how to go about practicing,I don't really have anyone who has a car to show me, and apparently I can't rent one...
Old 07-23-2007, 06:12 PM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

where you located. I'll drive the 500 for you. and you dont deserve any of those cars if you cant drive stick.

Get a v6 auto.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:14 PM
briboiblu07
1st Gear Member

Once you get the hang of taking off with a manual, the rest is easy. If you just like to cruise though, then get an automatic. It is about what you want, not what other people think you should have.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:16 PM
minion4567

ORIGINAL: probinator

where you located. I'll drive the 500 for you. and you dont deserve any of those cars if you cant drive stick.

Get a v6 auto.

lol like I said this would be my first car, and I've had my license only 7 months. I've never had a chance to learn manual
Old 07-23-2007, 06:19 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

If my Granddaughter can learn in two training sessions on a weekend you can learn too.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:20 PM
Heavyg72
3rd Gear Member

Get what fits you best and don't worry about what others think. I've always had manuals but with the stang I went with the auto as I got tired of shifting all the time in MD/VA/DC traffic. I don't regret it and with my current set-up I really don't regret it. Good luck!
Old 07-23-2007, 06:23 PM
tube
2nd Gear Member

Prepare to choose your second car, as if you get a GT500, you're surely going to put it into a tree.

My first car was supercharged, my second turbo, crashed both of them within a year.

16 year olds + fast cars = death.
Old 07-23-2007, 06:30 PM
05Sixxer
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: minion4567

Hi, I'm planning to get my first car in the next day or two. I have to choose between a GT500 or a Saleen S281 SC, one of my problems is I've never driven manual so I've been hesitating about the GT500 much (the saleen would be in automatic as the alternative). I really don't know what do anymore, I'm willing to learn manual, but I'd most likely have to get the 500 and use it for practice, but the wonder of how troublesome manual can be is what stops me. Which should I get anyway, and what transmission/car do you think would suit me?

(I hope this is the place where I should be posting this)

I mainly like to cruise and relax, and soooometimes hit the gas depending on what I'm listening to. What should I do? I've never driven stick and I don't know how well that goes with cruising, and with the automatic people make me feel as if it's wrong by thinking about getting an automatic. I'm really looking foward to joining the mustang community but these two debates have been stopping me.
wait wait wait you had your license for 7 months and your able to get a GT500 or a Saleen? Insurance told me I better not be asking to insure a GT when I called about a stang, was going to be pricey. Now its better as im at a clean record. Seriously though 50k + car 16?[:'(]

Quick Reply: Transmission/car debate