Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

superstripe install

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 11:09 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

Default superstripe install

So i just called a few shops to see if they could install my superstripe on my hood. they wanted like 400 bucks for labor. **** THAT. how hard is it to install yourself? im really not about to shell out 400 just for them to put a stripe on my hood. has anyone done it themsleves before?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
unsocbl
3rd Gear Member

Default RE: superstripe install

NEver done it, but $400.00 sounds ridiculous!
Old 07-25-2007, 11:14 AM
torch red
4th Gear Member

The super stripe IMO is easier to install then 2 stripes...I have been thinking of getting it myself and would try to do it my self...

Measure twice and cut once..use some blue tape to line it up..do it yourself..you can do it..
Old 07-25-2007, 11:27 AM
Joolander
Lord High Protector

I've never installed stripes of any kind, but I'm assuming most vinyl is similar in installation. just take your time when smoothing it out and you should be fine... (I took about 90mins total of smoothing for my rear blackout)

Superstripe...Louvers...Black Spoiler...rear blackout...
You going for a Boss/Mach1 look?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:34 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

hah im not saying that im going for anylook right now, otherwise some guys might start pulling out the POSER argument so all im doin is building what i like. no specific theme. well black and red if thats a theme.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:38 AM
forrestgump
2nd Gear Member

I had mine put on but the parents paid for it so I never found out the price but when I talked to the guy he said it was a pain in the *** to put them on the bumpers because of all the diff angles in it but he said the hood and roof were simple. Just time consuming.

Not trying to aggro your post but....

My front bumper and back on the main crease are starting to rip along the crease and im think of ordering more strip and doing it myself but after talking to that man and telling me how hard it was im scared to ruin it and have to pay for it....anyone done on the front and back bumpers easy to do?
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
WhitePony02
3rd Gear Member

What is it? Just a hood stripe or does it go all throughout the car. If its just the hood its simple to do. Vinyl is really easy to work with. Just get it wet enough on the car, then once the vinyl is placed get the outside of it wet for the squeegee. Then take the squeegee and work it side by side to get all the water out. Make sure all the water is out first, or else you'll have bubbles. Also, make sure your car is clean first and take off the layers of wax on the car where the vinyl goes. You can do this by washing that area with Dawn dish soap mixed with water. Good luck, and if you seem to be making errors when you do it, just wet the vinyl all over again and pull it back up to place it again.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:41 AM
Dwisforme05
5th Gear Member

well mine is just for the hood, no bumpers.
Old 07-25-2007, 11:44 AM
forrestgump
2nd Gear Member

Well you should be able to handle that measure tape it up and dont look back....
Old 07-25-2007, 12:05 PM
mlcrycc
5th Gear Member

I did my Superstripe install. First time I ever did stripes, so I took my time. The hood probably took me about 2 or so hours to do. 400.00 is way out of line. Just read, read, and re-read the instructions from Rob over at Baltimore Street Mods. Plan on taking plenty of time, and try to have an extra set of hands to help, at least when you peel that big ol stripe from the backing. If it folds over on itself, you have problems......

You can certainly do it yourself, just be very patient, use lots of wetting solution, and read the directions. The hood is a challenge because of all the complex angles you are dealing with, but again, very do-able....

Good luck,
Mike

Quick Reply: superstripe install