Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

computer swap

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2007, 04:56 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default computer swap

i thought this was rather interesting:

a friend of mine was having problems with his car and was told it was his computer (PCM), so we decided to swap out and see what would happen. neither car would start with the other car's computer in it. just puttin the info out there.
Old 07-25-2007, 04:58 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

Default RE: computer swap

that is good to know actually
Old 07-26-2007, 09:05 AM
SCCAGT
3rd Gear Member

Neither car would start because the ecu and keys are not coded to each other.
Old 07-26-2007, 09:41 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

So what happens if your ECU goes bad and you buy another one online or something? Does this mean the dealer has to get involved?
Old 07-26-2007, 09:52 AM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

So what happens if your ECU goes bad and you buy another one online or something? Does this mean the dealer has to get involved?
Yes the dealer will have to be involved in this time of problem...
Old 07-26-2007, 11:07 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

ORIGINAL: SCCAGT

Neither car would start because the ecu and keys are not coded to each other.
Swapin PCMs. WOW. I would be afraid of
mine not working after being in his non-starting PCM
blowing Stang.....[:'(]

I stand corrected.
Old 07-26-2007, 12:21 PM
bascho
3rd Gear Member

It's scary that some of you even respond on this subject.

First off.......computer? What do you mean by this? The engine management is handled by the PCM, the body security is handled by the SJB and the restraint controls are handled by the RCM. Your car is full of computers and none of them control everything.

Now, I think you are talking about switching out your PCM's.......did both PCM's have the same calibration code? The PCM has nothing to do with the 'transmitter' in the PAT's key. The PAT's system is managed by the SJB. When a dealer changes out your PCM they perform a function called "inhale/exhale". Basically the WDS tool captures key data from the OE PCM and holds that in memory (inhale). Then they plug in the new PCM and transfer that memory to the new part (exhale). This step is crucial to the PCM functioning correctly because it exists in the vehicle's Module Communication Network.

You guys really shouldn't be touching your vehicles electronics with such limited knowledge on the subject. I know you want to work under the hood.....but a modern automobile is far too complex for the lay person.
Old 07-26-2007, 04:07 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: bascho

First off.......computer? What do you mean by this? The engine management is handled by the PCM, the body security is handled by the SJB and the restraint controls are handled by the RCM. Your car is full of computers and none of them control everything.

Now, I think you are talking about switching out your PCM's.......did both PCM's have the same calibration code? The PCM has nothing to do with the 'transmitter' in the PAT's key. The PAT's system is managed by the SJB. When a dealer changes out your PCM they perform a function called "inhale/exhale". Basically the WDS tool captures key data from the OE PCM and holds that in memory (inhale). Then they plug in the new PCM and transfer that memory to the new part (exhale). This step is crucial to the PCM functioning correctly because it exists in the vehicle's Module Communication Network.

You guys really shouldn't be touching your vehicles electronics with such limited knowledge on the subject. I know you want to work under the hood.....but a modern automobile is far too complex for the lay person.
yes, both PCM's had the same code.

i wasn't worried about screwing around. if he broke anything, he'd fix it. either that, or ford warranty
Old 07-26-2007, 04:32 PM
A_J
2nd Gear Member

I agree bascho, but I'm curious if you know of any resources out there for learning the electronics/computer systems in the S197s, or Fords systems in general. I don't neccessarily intend on working on those systems myself, but I'm a firm believer in knowing as much as I can so I can tell when a shop is blowing smoke.. I was a trained mechanic up until the mid '90s, but I've kind of fallen out of the loop when it comes to more recent designs, for example, nowadays you see reference to the cars networks.. I should be able to grasp it - I'm a database programmer now.. just curious about things like the things you talk about above, protocols, etc.. thx
Old 07-26-2007, 04:37 PM
PROMETHEUS PRIME
5th Gear Member

Wow WDS. Thats an old computer, We use the VCM and Toughbook now.
If you wanted to try that with your friends car all you would also need to do is switch the key cylinders also. The PCM won't start the car until it recognizes the proper key thats programmed. If a car comes in with a bad PCM we have to upload the info from Ford and Erase all key codes and reprogram 2 keys before the car will start.
What problems was he having?

Quick Reply: computer swap