Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which tune for the Auto GT?

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2007, 09:36 PM
pxdig
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Which tune for the Auto GT?

bama, BAMA, Bama

just wanted to see if it really happened ;^ >
Old 07-26-2007, 09:49 PM
2k05gt
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: v6VenoM

Doug all the way. I have an auto with a JLT CAI, Doug's 93 Race Tune and a Pypes O/R H I ran a 13.3 and consistent 13.5's all day.
What Gears are you running, with that 13.3 @ 103 trap speed looks like your running 4.10's if you are running 3.31 why is'nt your trap speed higher?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:05 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

I am also looking to get into a CAI/tune pre-Labor Day for my auto. I have a couple of ?'s while this thread is up at the top tonight.

Nobody has mentioned Alternative Auto (Lido?). Evolution states on their website the most advance auto tune, but I read that Lido is the one. I understand the other two are very well. It is basically a matter of individual opinion between which is better for who...All four tunes would work wonders on my auto, so I don't feel that I can make a bad decision.

However, can anybody explainto me why one would actually be better? What are the differences between the tunes. Are there any criteria that is not subjective?

Thanks.
Old 07-26-2007, 10:21 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Good grief......I hate to sound so dumb here, but I really do not understand what a "tune" is.......I also have an automatic and am interested in what you guys are talking about, but I am not sure I understand. I suppose if I am that far out of the loop, I shouldn't consider one for my car....... []
s ~
Old 07-26-2007, 10:30 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

A tune is basically a change in the car's computer settings. You buy a tuner, and a cold air intake and then have a "file" written to change your car's computer. Everything is done by computer and sensors.

I have a bunch of questions as to the tunes also. I understand the basics, but I hope to find an answer as to what criteria makes one auto tune different from another, and not drag to race, but shop to shop.

Help?
Old 07-26-2007, 10:37 PM
SaddleUp
5th Gear Member

Thanks for the input .......so I suppose the goal here is to improve the speed, the takeoff, the quality of the ride? I suppose I will keep reading and learn as I go. [&:]
Old 07-26-2007, 10:47 PM
JayFi
2nd Gear Member

For what it's worth I've run both brenspeed and bama tunes on my auto. Nothing wrong with the brenspeed tune, but I do think that the bama tune shifts better for a daily driver. The catch 22 here is that Brenspeed's customer service was better and anything I've ordered from them has always showed up pretty quickly.

Old 07-27-2007, 12:25 PM
captainxanax
1st Gear Member

bump...
I have the money and want to do this mod - I waited a year to mod....

either way, my questions still stand. Can anyone tell me why Alternative and Evolution claim superior auto tuning? But most people seem to run with b am a and bren... What criteria makes the tunes different? Any help is help as I sit with money to spend and 20-30hp to unlease!!!

I am going to start contacting the actual shops as I have heard they are very helpful, but I just am curious as to the opinions in here.

thanks
Old 07-27-2007, 12:32 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Timing would be changed. Shift points at different RPM's also. If you are a daily driver, I would suggest a stock tune and gears for better MPG's. That motivates me with a 75 mile commute everyday.
Old 07-27-2007, 02:59 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: captainxanax
Can anyone tell me why Alternative and Evolution claim superior auto tuning?
You cant really get an answer to this question....everybody has there own opinion......Each tuner can claim their tune is the best...they are in it to win your business! They can give you reasons why it is better also.....I think everybodys tunes are really all about the same but the feedback about B ama and the auto tuning is something i have always heard.

What criteria makes the tunes different?
thanks
Brenspeed has 1 tune and it is pretty good all around...you can ask for harder shift points if you desire that, but anyone can do that for you.

Bama has a couple different ones.....
1. Torq-great power down low especially, a little less pull up in the higher RPMs (4K+)
2. Perf- Not as much down low but feels nice up top.
3. Race-almost like the 2 above combine....great down low and when you thinkits done and has nothing left......it keeps going up to 6K
the race might be to much for some for a DD.....but alot, including me, use it as the main tune. Third gear pulls incredibly hard on all of his tunes.

Alterative has done alot with autos but i have not heard much feedback from his tunes yet so I dont really know...i am also a manual so he cant work his magic as much with me probably anyway.

VMP also makes a great tune, very similar to brenspeeds. I like all three, B ama, brenspeed and VMP and they all have been great with my car. 3rd gear has been the best with b ama but brenspeeds seems to pull a little more in 2nd sometimes over dougs.

Bottom line is you should/will be happy with any tunes probably, Hell Tillmanspeed (CR) has a really good tune also. Every car is different to and will react a little different to every tune.

Good Luck!!

Quick Reply: Which tune for the Auto GT?