Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Just noticed recently, engine bay paint peeling

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2007, 09:02 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

Default Just noticed recently, engine bay paint peeling

Well i believe i read someone that the tank located on the driver side in the engine bay near the window, has a leaking problem so i got a flashlight and start looking and notice dried leak marks on it.........and as i looked further down, i notice that it had been falling on a part of the car that was painted and well it ate the paint right off and it was all bubbled and i could see the metal of the car....what will ford do? and has anyone had this problem? im tired of taking my car to ford, hating having them drive it or even work on it.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:05 PM
aschultz91
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Just noticed recently, engine bay paint peeling

I think your reffering to the brake booster? If it is leaking brake fluid is corrosive as hell and i can see why the paint is bubbling. And if you are still under warranty I dont see why ford wouldnt fix it. I would just worry about them not doing a good job.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

Check your brake resevior and see if it is leaking. This is the condition that you are describing, and I have had issues with it myself. The cap leaks - I just remember to clean it off before it drips on the paint periodically. I even had the dealer replace the cap, still leaks.
Old 07-27-2007, 09:07 PM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

there is a known leak from the brake fluid reservoir and that will cause corrosion and Ford dealers will repaint the engine bay that is affected. I know there are threads on this just dont remember where. Teflon tape on the reservoir will stop that leak in its tracks. Hope it helps
Old 07-27-2007, 09:08 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: aschultz91

I think your reffering to the brake booster? If it is leaking brake fluid is corrosive as hell and i can see why the paint is bubbling. And if you are still under warranty I dont see why ford wouldnt fix it. I would just worry about them not doing a good job.
yup thats it, and im so worried about that part, or that they'll mess up something else, i hate risking that, but if they fix it in the less amount of time the better
Old 07-27-2007, 09:10 PM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

yea i kno i read reports on it somewhere too and teflon tape will be used as soon as the engine bay its repainted, but only by a shop i know and ford will approve, not having my car sent all the way to garfield when i kno one that is much closer and works on high class cars and gives me special pricing :-)...in this case that dont matter since ford is paying lol.
Old 07-28-2007, 12:40 AM
Derek245

Just noticed mine is seeping a little too. thanks to this thread I can hopefully save my paint as it hasnt dripped yet. I will try the teflon tape
Old 07-28-2007, 03:37 AM
Orion_240
6th Gear Member

I've also heard that Ford overfills the brake res too! Can anyone show a pic of what is the correct level?
I had my car in for the same leak and all they said was that they removed some fluid... so of course, it still leaks a little! No paint damage, but that could be due to all the water that gets in there when I hose off my undercarraige when washing the car.
Old 07-28-2007, 08:48 AM
edgespeeder06
5th Gear Member

yea lucky guys, i can see about a hand sized area or bigger of pure metal and paint peelin off
Old 07-28-2007, 04:49 PM
birdoffire7
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Orion_240

I've also heard that Ford overfills the brake res too! Can anyone show a pic of what is the correct level?
I had my car in for the same leak and all they said was that they removed some fluid... so of course, it still leaks a little! No paint damage, but that could be due to all the water that gets in there when I hose off my undercarraige when washing the car.
I've heard of people taking their resevoir to the lowest level indicated on the side, and it still leaks due to the fluid splashing around. Lowering the level won't help.

Quick Reply: Just noticed recently, engine bay paint peeling