Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

REVIEW - SLP LoudMouth Axle-Back ***VIDEO CLIP***

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 11:40 AM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Default REVIEW - SLP LoudMouth Axle-Back ***VIDEO CLIP***

I just installed my SLP Loud Mouth axle-back exhaust and I have been paying close attention to it for the past few days so I could review properly.

The Look - These pipes look great sticking out about an inch - inch and a half from the back of the car! They have a nice wide mouth and the chrome shines easy. If you were a "spectator" and took a quick peak under the car it would look like you were brought back to the old 5.0 straight pipes, looks real!

The Install - The install took me and a friend (both with our own sets of tools) about an hour. The hardest part was loosning the bolt that held the stock muffler to the stock over axle pipe. A little WD-40 will help this, oh and a LOT of strength! My goodness the stock setup weighs so fricken much! (SLP - 22+? lbs) We had a little trouble figuring out the rubber hook holders when putting on the new exhaust because it is a bit confusing, so be sure to try and remember exactly how it all came down from the car. The best way to do it is slide them on the SLP's and play tetris with the things until you find a way that it fits properly. Be very careful when aligning how far they stick out, mine are still about 1/4 of an inch apart... [:@]

The Sound - Oh mannnnn!!! This is honestly the way the exhaust should have came stock! Because it's all flow from the H-Pipe it gives the whole car a throater and deeper sound. (Note - have someone rev it while you stand behind it... it's a whole new experience!) The car has a great sound driving and axcelerating from the inside, even while on the highway it sounds nice by just giving it a tiny bit of gas. The sound is nice enough to if someone was to challenge you on the street and rev their engine and than you rev yours.... you KNOW they are thinking twice about it!

The Drone - Unfortantly, there is some drone. But honestly, I don't mind it at all. It usually happens most when you are in a high gear at a low RPM. But, you can hear it at 40-45mphand 60-68mph... which sucks because it's both city and highway speeds. My solution - suck it up and turn on the radio. My OWN personal solution - UNROLL THE WINDOWS AND ENJOY! It's not bad enough where you will get a headache and your passengers will be mad, I think it's actually a nice touch to be honest with you. Either way, if you absolutly can't deal with ANY drone whatso ever, go back to stock. If you like a good American Muscle sound... get this!

Review - I aboslutly love this setup and feel my money was well spent. The price was right, the setup was SIMPLISTIC and the sound is very... very.... MANLY. I give it two thumbs up and 4.5 stars out of 5!

Preview - Video's don't do the justice but here is a youtube link to what they sound like on my car...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=47-pmWalkDM

Enjoy!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:12 PM
AmericanMuscle4.6GT
5th Gear Member

Default RE: My SLP Loud Mouth Axle-Back Review (Just Installed)

wow, great review!!! makes me look forward to getting my SLPs!

and that is really a good soundclip lol
Old 07-29-2007, 12:13 PM
yzfmik
2nd Gear Member

Nice review and I agree 100% about how great it sounds. The small amount of drone doesn't bother me the least bit. The drone of the LM on my LS1 TA was alot more and did make it hard to talk to passengers, so the Mustang's is nothing in comparison.
Old 07-29-2007, 12:26 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: JoshyGT

The Install - The install took me and a friend (both with our own sets of tools) about an hour. The hardest part was loosning the bolt that held the stock muffler to the stock H-Pipe. A little WD-40 will help this, oh and a LOT of strength! My goodness the stock setup weighs so fricken much! (SLP - 22+? lbs) We had a little trouble figuring out the rubber hook holders when putting on the new exhaust because it is a bit confusing, so be sure to try and remember exactly how it all came down from the car. The best way to do it is slide them on the SLP's and play tetris with the things until you find a way that it fits properly. Be very careful when aligning how far they stick out, mine are still about 1/4 of an inch apart... [:@]
I think you mean the over axle pipes because the h pipe has a connection directly under the middle of the car...there is anothe set of pipes that connect the mufflers to the h pipe. Now you can use the connection between the over axle and h pipe to help adjust the mufflers though. Many people have had to do this. The LMs do allow for more muffler adjustment than most though so that is not needed with them sometimes. Good write up and glad you like them!
Old 07-29-2007, 12:27 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

Ooops! Corrected the mistake.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:36 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

it stinks! (in the voice of the critic - jon lovitz)

kidding, the slp's are my 2nd favorite axlebacks, just cuz i cant say i dont like mine the best.

i love revving in traffic, i started a chain reaction doing this last night!
Old 07-29-2007, 01:43 PM
explict
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

it stinks! (in the voice of the critic - jon lovitz)

kidding, the slp's are my 2nd favorite axlebacks, just cuz i cant say i dont like mine the best.

i love revving in traffic, i started a chain reaction doing this last night!
What exhaust do you have?
Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

MBRP, the least known brand. ask the guys at the C.FL cruise what they thought tho.
Old 07-29-2007, 01:48 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i'm gonna make a sig!
Old 07-29-2007, 02:16 PM
JoshyGT
3rd Gear Member

it is a pretty good sound!

Quick Reply: REVIEW - SLP LoudMouth Axle-Back ***VIDEO CLIP***