Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

help w/supercharger decision

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2007, 06:14 PM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

Default help w/supercharger decision

I am considering getting a supercharger and right now I am thinking vortech-mainly because of cost. What is the big difference between a centrifugal and a rotary screw type supercharger? Is one better than the other- I've noticed Saleen and Roush used the screw type. I currently have a BBK CAI and BBK throttle body-no tune yet either.Runs good but I WANT MORE!!! Also planning on SLP High Flow cats/x pipe as my next addition to go with the SLP loudmouths I just installed. Let me know what you think on the supercharger!
Old 07-29-2007, 06:29 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

Default RE: help w/supercharger decision

I thought Roush was roots...
...I can tell you that there's an s197 in my town with a Vortech...the guy who did the install is a friend of mine, and has been wrenching on Mustangs for many years (heads, FI, tuning, everything) and said he was very disappointed in the end result with the Vortech, even with some user-end fine tuning the difference in power wasn't worth the $$$...
Old 07-29-2007, 06:32 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: mechanicterry

I am considering getting a supercharger and right now I am thinking vortech-mainly because of cost. What is the big difference between a centrifugal and a rotary screw type supercharger? Is one better than the other- I've noticed Saleen and Roush used the screw type. I currently have a BBK CAI and BBK throttle body-no tune yet either.Runs good but I WANT MORE!!! Also planning on SLP High Flow cats/x pipe as my next addition to go with the SLP loudmouths I just installed. Let me know what you think on the supercharger!
actually Roush is a roots style supercharger....vortech is centri and saleen is twin screw....
Old 07-29-2007, 06:36 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

can't go wrong with Saleen...hell they came up with the intake manifold/sc combo back with the 96-98 slowpoke 4.6 GTs...
Old 07-29-2007, 08:04 PM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

Do you all think it's just the vortech or all the centri. ones? I wasn't thinking about the Roush being a roots style.Thanks, if anyone knows anything about any other superchargers please let me know-Roush and Saleen are just alittle out of budget-guess I may have to wait a little while longer. How are the whipples?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:32 PM
hammeron
6th Gear Member

i can probably answer this one

they are wonderful, two thumbs up.

only you can pick which FI system to go with......you
should wait, until you can comfortably pay for whichever
kit you really really want.

good luck with your project and keep us posted

ORIGINAL: mechanicterry

Do you all think it's just the vortech or all the centri. ones? I wasn't thinking about the Roush being a roots style.Thanks, if anyone knows anything about any other superchargers please let me know-Roush and Saleen are just alittle out of budget-guess I may have to wait a little while longer. How are the whipples?
Old 07-29-2007, 08:34 PM
cheftjpeck
5th Gear Member

the biggest noticable difference is the centri the boost comes on later whereas the twin screw (saleen) it is instant when you want it and torque is there at the low end...centri's are good..dont get me wrong...you can make plenty of power and then some with a centri...centri will be more cost effective as well if you are looking that way...however I will advise you that a centri kit can still run you some bucks as well....unless you are going non intercooled...whipple is a great unit as well....you cant go wrong with any of them...you just have to look and research and choose what you want based on $$$....Torque....HP...when you want it all..drivability etc.....good luck
Old 07-29-2007, 08:48 PM
mechanicterry
1st Gear Member

Thanks guys. That really helps.I'll keep you guys posted.
Old 07-30-2007, 10:29 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

you could always spray (relatively) inexpensively until you make your decision...or maybe spray WILL be your final decision after you get hooked on it lol...