Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Paint matching

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-2007, 01:56 PM
mike3000
1st Gear Member

Default Paint matching

About 4 months ago, I had my door repainted/replaced because some idiot backed into it. Anyway, long story short I recently decided to wax the whole car, but afterwards it now seems like the paint on the door no longer matches exactly. Am I nuts that the wax could affect the color or do you think I never really noticed before. The car is screaming yellow and I used Eagle One nanowax.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:04 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: Paint matching

What year is your car and was it kept outside in the sunlight a lot?
Old 07-30-2007, 02:19 PM
mike3000
1st Gear Member

It is an 06 and it is always outside, uncovered. The door actually looks slightly lighter then the rest of the car.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:23 PM
07 Stang
6th Gear Member

That's odd.....I would think your new door would be a little darker if it is a case of the yellow fading....but it sounds like who ever painted it didn't use the manufacturers paint code for Screaming Yellow.....which is D6.
Old 07-30-2007, 02:32 PM
mike3000
1st Gear Member

They definitely used D6, I think maybe they did not tint it enough?? Not sure, but now I am wondering if I should have it repainted. It is not that bad, I am a am very **** about perfection.

Old 07-30-2007, 07:03 PM
07GT4.6
1st Gear Member

I work at a body shop if you replaced the door you should have blended the fender and 1/4 that way you would not see the diff .I did one last year and that color is a real pain to mix and very hard to just paint a panel and get away without blending.If you decide to repaint it blend the fender and 1/4 and you will be ok make sure to remove all the bolt ons on the panel that way you wont get tape marks.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:25 PM
mike3000
1st Gear Member

Thanks for the reply. The shop did blend the front and rear quarter, which is why I think the wax could have had an effect on the paint, unless I am crazy. Do you think I am right? I kow for a fact they did. The funny thing is, if you look straight at the side that had the door replaced from about 5 feet away or so, you see the color difference, but if you look at itclose up or from distant angle, there is no difference. Wierd.

Any thoughts? Should I get it repainted? The shop is willing to do it for free (they are really good), but he recommended not to do it because he said it is a shame to repaint the whole side again on such a new car, plus he said there is no guarantee it will be perfect or maybe it could get worse?? He said no one but me probably notices. Is it bad to repaint?

ORIGINAL: 07GT4.6

I work at a body shop if you replaced the door you should have blended the fender and 1/4 that way you would not see the diff .I did one last year and that color is a real pain to mix and very hard to just paint a panel and get away without blending.If you decide to repaint it blend the fender and 1/4 and you will be ok make sure to remove all the bolt ons on the panel that way you wont get tape marks.
Old 07-30-2007, 07:29 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

Have any pictures? As you can see from my signature pic ... I will have quite a bit of blending when my car is done ... They painted the inside of the door shell and hung it the other day. I told them it doesn't match since it looked much lighter ... like not enough orange. He said it would be right before I got it back ... Now you got me worried ...
Old 07-30-2007, 07:48 PM
07GT4.6
1st Gear Member

blend it make sure they use the right code it does have variations on the same code we repainted a yellow stang a while back and had to re do it twice for the color to come out correct once we blend it the color everyting was fine thats not an easy color to do most yellows have a lot of tints one drop too many and you screw up the whole batch,are the mixing the paint on sight or do they order the paint mix from a paint supplier?.They could have the paint supplier send a tech and mix the color and do a spry out.
Old 07-30-2007, 08:01 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 07GT4.6

blend it make sure they use the right code it does have variations on the same code we repainted a yellow stang a while back and had to re do it twice for the color to come out correct once we blend it the color everyting was fine thats not an easy color to do most yellows have a lot of tints one drop too many and you screw up the whole batch,are the mixing the paint on sight or do they order the paint mix from a paint supplier?.They could have the paint supplier send a tech and mix the color and do a spry out.
They mix their own paint onsite ... They should be spraying this week since all the sheet metal work is done ... I'm keeping my fingers crossed ...

Quick Reply: Paint matching