Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

oy vey! exhaust confusion

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-2007, 07:54 AM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

Default oy vey! exhaust confusion

so i received my pypes cat-back from blue oval industries (ebay auction). it looks really, REALLY nice. but i am confused about the install. the box says it is a "dual 05-07 v8 violator w/o x pipe". i've never been under the car to know what it looks like, but i assume there is an x-pipe somewhere. is this after the cats? are the cats in the x-pipe? basically i was sent 2 long pipes (with some bends for what i think is to go over the axle), and 2 mufflers. do i install this system after the x-pipe or do i remove the x-pipe to install? thanks guys!
Old 07-31-2007, 07:59 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Default RE: oy vey! exhaust confusion

The stock GT has an H pipe. The aftermarket X pipe gives better flow they say, even though there isn't a lot of cross pipe flow, that H or X section comes after the CATS. Then you bolt up the long pipes which run over the axle and the mufflers go on the end of those unless the mufflers you have go after the cats and the long pipes run out over the axle to the tips. The tips of the pipes are finished, so you can see which end is which.
Have a look under the car, you'll see what we mean.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:02 AM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

ok, so x/h pipe is after the cats. my confusions lies in the picture on the ebay auction. it doesn't show any x/h pipe:

i am just confused if i will have to cut off my stock h-pipe to install this system, and if that will adversly affect anything.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:05 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

The stock H pipe unbolts and will slide off, with persuasion

yes, your pipes are described as W/O x pipe so the picture is right.

No X-pipe won't adversely affect the performance really and won't have an effect on the emissions either. That system is primary designed for sound, performance, while better than stock, isn't hiked much at all.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:08 AM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

ok, so i will just take the stock h-pipe, "over axle pipes", and mufflers, and just replace with my new "over axle" pipes and mufflers from pypes. hopefully it sounds good
Old 07-31-2007, 08:13 AM
markiemark
1st Gear Member

If you didn't get an x-pipe then your h-pipe stays. It's just the 2 long pipes and then the over axle that changes. I have the same system but it came with x-pipe so my h-pipe had to be cut off and x welded. I love the sound and the quality of Pypes gets a thumbs up!!!
Old 07-31-2007, 08:14 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Pretty much it, yea.
Lay your new pipes out and get an idea exactly what goes where before you get under the car amd start taking stuff off. Sounds silly but those pipes all start to look alike once you've got the old system off and lose your reference LOL

Don't cut any pipes to release them at all unless you are ansolutely left with no alternative and you are sure that you need to. Certainly do not cut/hammer/damage the Cat pipes, that'll leave you in a world of hurt.
Old 07-31-2007, 08:17 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Doesn't look there is an H pipe there in the picunless my eyes deceive.
If it is, then it's even easier, just add the pipes on the back end
Old 07-31-2007, 08:25 AM
UberHax0r
2nd Gear Member

ok, i am confused again. does the h-pipe stay or come off?
Old 07-31-2007, 08:29 AM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

Lay the pipes down next to the car and see how long they are and how they marry to the car. You'll see immediately if they use the H pipe or not.
If it were me, I'd take the car to a local exhaust shop and have them fit it, they have the knowhow, the car lift and the parts.

To me, the picture you posted doesn't show a H pipe although it's hard to make out 100%

Quick Reply: oy vey! exhaust confusion