Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

vinyl stripes down the bumper?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2007, 06:56 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

Default RE: vinyl stripes down the bumper?

I couldn't get my front bumper straight to save my life. I'm sure i could do it perfect the second time though.

If you are getting the stripes from Baltimorestreetmods.com then they should come out straight if you take your time. I did realize mine were off until i had allready finished and stood back away from the car.

Old 08-06-2007, 07:51 PM
PLstang
5th Gear Member

If you're asking whether you should take it somewhere else already, then you've already answered your question. Look around a little more.
Old 08-06-2007, 07:53 PM
DoctorQ
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ink003

i have a question for all those enthusiasts with vinyl stripes on their ponies given something that the performance shop
guy told me: is it a bad idea to have the vinyl go down the bumper (if so, i'll keep it to the hood, roof and trunk)?

i ask b/c. since the bumper is not straight, the dude told me that vinyl stripes tend to look crooked. is this true? i'd prefer
to have them go all the way down, but not if they look lousy...
they only look bad if the installer doesn't know what they're doing. The vinyl has to be cut specifically for the bumper contours... you can't put strait cut pieces over curves (or it will look lousy). Installing vinyl on the bumpers takes longer than doing the rest of the car... but done right, looks awesome... check with Rob @ BSM (Baltimore Street Mods).. he'll take care of you.
Old 08-06-2007, 08:10 PM
Audioi
2nd Gear Member

The bumper stripes should be 2 inches wider than the hood or decklid to accomidate cutting after install.
The secret is to use a good eye (sober preffered) and drop 1.5" mask down the center. Trim it with a stripe knife (glorified Xacto) then measure the sides and cut. Once you do 3 or 4 cars you really get the hang of it. Remember Wet Wet Wet then squeege.

If your unsure of your skills do Moms Mini Van 1st.
Old 08-07-2007, 06:59 AM
ink003
3rd Gear Member

thx for all the good advice guys! i really appreciate it.

and though i've tried a few aesthetic mods myself, striping is not a bridge i'm willing to jump off. i'll definitely be looking for somewhere else to go today where bumper striping isn't intimidating to the in-house "professional."

wish me luck! i'll post pics...
Old 08-07-2007, 07:31 AM
05RedHead
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Audioi

The bumper stripes should be 2 inches wider than the hood or decklid to accomidate cutting after install.
The secret is to use a good eye (sober preffered) and drop 1.5" mask down the center. Trim it with a stripe knife (glorified Xacto) then measure the sides and cut. Once you do 3 or 4 cars you really get the hang of it. Remember Wet Wet Wet then squeege.

Best advice I've heard on this topic - and true. It's not hard to get them straight - just a little work that your place doesn't want to do. Take it somewhere else, or just do it yourself.
Old 08-07-2007, 04:09 PM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

You cut stripes on the car? That doesn't sound very professional.

I guess that explains why people have removed their dealer applied stripes only to find nice cuts in their paint.

ORIGINAL: Audioi

Old 08-07-2007, 04:31 PM
Black07gt
3rd Gear Member

its hard!! really hard on the font bumper and a little on the trunk whenit takes thecurve into the fake gas cap. i did see another mustang the other day with my colors but the other way around (red with black stripes) with perfect stripes. i just hope he didn't see me because i got really close to them and touched them and on the front bumper when it goes down then ini could feel how they cut the stripe so that it looks straigth on the curve, then put the rest straigth down the bumper. i wish i saw it before i put mine on. my bumper looks a little off, it goes out then in again, horrible if i take my plate off. they are just temporal though till i get my bodykit

[/align]
Old 08-07-2007, 05:06 PM
tungstenstang
4th Gear Member

OK its the easiest thing in the world cut the straight stripe in two pieces where the front bumper folds. make adjustments if needed, looks flawless.
Old 08-07-2007, 05:55 PM
VWILLO
2nd Gear Member

If your shop is going to cut your stripes, they won't come out straight unless they have a template like Baltimore uses. None of the stripes I got from them where straight, everything was contoured and would have fit good on the front bumper if I had stepped back and looked before I squeeged them down.

Quick Reply: vinyl stripes down the bumper?