Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does anyone regret their mods?

Search this Thread

Old 08-08-2007, 09:12 AM
157dB
Cut & Paste Expert

Default RE: Does anyone regret their mods?

Yes, my CDC Rear Decklid cover.
Wish I had added more 3M VHB
tape as it has started to come off
due to lack of the use of enough tape
from the manufacturer.[:@] The panel
is slightly sprung and wont stay stuck
on one side. Now I have to figure out
how to get it off and remove the now
dirty and used 3M VHB tape and
reprep the surface for more tape.
I cleaned and cleaned, applied it
at above 80 degrees and held it in place
for quite a while as the directions said
but still no sticky?
Old 08-08-2007, 09:40 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: Haze28

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: Haze28

The only mod I kind of regret is the O/R H-pipe. I love the power, but it has been a major pain in the *** trying to get my exhaust to sound right since I put that thing on.
Why is that....it should sound just like mine and tacobills??? What do you not like about it?
I'm pretty happy with it now, but it took about a month and 3 sets of axlebacks before I liked the way it sounds. When I had the Flowmasters on my car it made me want to burn it to the ground...
[:@]
Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

I regret the order in which I did my mods. CAI/tuner combo, DRs, gears and ca's should have been first. The other stuff in my list is nickel-dime hp gains or sound-only mods. Also, I wasted money on a k&n drop which was my second mod (if you can call it a mod lol), I got the CAI shortly thereafter, which brings me to my next gripe, I resisted the CAI for as long as possible, purchasing the tuner separately then coming back for the CAI a week later, losing my combo savings. Oh well, it's all a journey right?
Actually, I hope my future is full of regrets...regretting my 4.10s when I order my supercharger, regretting my o/r x when I get LTs, etc. - sometimes you have to take a little step back before you leap forward...
Old 08-08-2007, 09:45 AM
hogpowr
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: 8178A

Most people donā€™t regret mods until they need to sell their car and then find that the mods decreased the value. So not only do you lose all the money spent for the mods the car is worth less than blue book. One smart approach to mods is to do only bolt on stuff and save all the original parts so they can be reinstalled before you sell it. That way you can get blue book for your car and then you can sell off the mod parts and get some money for them. Seems unfair but thatā€™s the way resale works.
I agree keep most mods removable,.

I really like the feel of my new steeda ultra lite springs, and I like the lowered appearnce too. I just sometimes regret the way my bad back feels after a long ride with rough roads.........

If I have to go without an s197 for a while in the future, I will probably keep most of my mods, because I won't be without for too long....
Old 08-08-2007, 03:41 PM
owero01
5th Gear Member

No regrets at all. I go good advice on the order of the mods. I went with performance first and then started on appearance ( mostly engine bay and interior). I wanteda sleeper look with a little bling.
Old 08-08-2007, 04:54 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I had originally planned and budgeted for a new Saleen SC or Roush3 but when it came down to it I just coudn't see where the extra money was in them. (No, a lardy GT500 was never on my list).
Since I got the GT I've spent a lot on her but even so, I've spent a lot less than had I just bought one the aforesaid's and I sure feel warm inside about it I can tell you. I believe I'd be stressing and regreting buying one of those by now - big time.
Honestly, I can't think of anything I regret as such although I remain undecided about the rims. 20" is the way for me, but perhaps a different design.
Old 08-08-2007, 05:28 PM
Dex
5th Gear Member

No. I waited a year and planned it out and got what i wanted. The money could have gone somewhere else but to be honest i make enough so it doesnt matter. Sometimes i think, why do i need 700rwhp? Then i remember im a winner, and winners can do whatever they want!!
Old 08-08-2007, 06:00 PM
FyouGitive
3rd Gear Member

I haven't done much in the way of mods, but I regret very little about the ones I have done. As has been said here before, "It's a process".

My leftover parts bin includes two rear sway bars I had to try before settling on the third. I can't think of any way to avoid that kind of testing and decision-making.

I tried a stripe scheme that was striking and beautiful, but just a bit too much for daily life. I don't regret the experience or the pictures, and there are several unrecoverable hours of work putting them on and taking them off, but even they weren't an entirely wasted resource: I learned a lot about putting-on and taking-off stripes (and how stripes, for the most part, mess up the Mustang's lovely lines)(exception: the black reflective "Mach" stripes on the rear of the car, both a disappearing-in-ordinary-light subtle "tribute" touch and a glow-like-crazy safety and uniquity factor in direct light).

Spoilers / wings is another sink-hole for time and storage space: right away I bought a GT rear wing for cheap, but still can't bring myself to drill that lovely trunk lid for installation. Shelfware. Got a black rubber "BMW-style" lip spoiler for too much money, and I like it a lot. Understated and as useful as anything else at ordinary speeds. Took it off to try out some AirtabĀ® vortex generators that turned out to be good conversation-starters, but like everything else rear-spoiler related, can only be testimonialed, not data-supported at ordinary speeds. Plus which, they are ugly. Put the lip spoiler back on, and still like it best. Once again, useful experiences in technical and aesthetic senses. The CDC "Classic" chin spoiler is a natural, and very satisfying, addition. A similar piece on a much earlier car (1971) cost $19.00; this one, more than $200.00. Progress?

Put on various decals and emblems, mostly in black reflective materials, and eventually decided the car didn't need them, that it could stand on its own. The only "decorative" items that have prevailed are the "Mach" back stripes and the semi-flat black painted grille pony and faux gas cap.

So now it's like this (all good, reversible, worth-the-time-and-the-money-mods) :
(in "Shoulda" order) (actual order of installation in brackets)
Steeda Sport springs (6)
Tokico D-Spec struts and shocks (9)
GT front swaybar (3)
H&R rear swaybar (8)
GT takeoff 17-inch wheels and tires (1)
BMR strut tower brace (4)
FRPP M5230 GTA muffler (2)
CDC Classic chin spoiler (5)
Deck lip spoiler (2)
K&N drop-in filter (7)
-- on a 2006 V6 convertible automatic, black
Old 08-08-2007, 10:16 PM
06tyrfryr
2nd Gear Member

Im a power addict and I bought mine for a toy and enjoy every minute of it. no regrets.
Old 08-08-2007, 10:20 PM
probinator
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: hammeron

am i sorry i bought a jlt2 cai kit and also a
steeda strut tower brace (both of which are
collecting dust), you bet. but life is a learning
experience and we all just go along one step
at a time.....

you should sell the strut brace to me for a super cheap price.

Quick Reply: Does anyone regret their mods?