Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Whine =(

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 12:32 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Whine =(

you just said if i'm not lowered than the pinion angle would not be the problem. so which is it?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:38 PM
MexGT
5th Gear Member

I had FRPP (motive) 3.73 in my car, they don't whine at all. I just waited 200 km of normal driving to really give them a hard time.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:40 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

btw, can anyone tell me if driving onthem for the next tank of gas will ruin them permanently? the mechanic won't do anything until that happens.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:47 PM
Derf00
Gentleman's Relish

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

you just said if i'm not lowered than the pinion angle would not be the problem. so which is it?
I said 'probably' not the problem as in not as likely...didn't say wasn't.

Did the shop remove the rear completely or install the gears with the rear still in the car?

http://www.baselinesuspensions.com/info/pinionangle.htm
Old 08-13-2007, 01:02 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

can't say for sure how they did it. they took the wheels off, and that was the last i saw.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:09 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

pinion angle should be fine though, i went from factory (richmond), to 4.10 richmond. unlikely that it's the angle.
Old 08-13-2007, 01:13 PM
mAnYsTyLeS
4th Gear Member

Dude, I would wait a few hundred miles and see how they sound. I don't care if the CEO of Richmond Gears says they're fine after 10 miles...I would still wait and see. You never know. If they continue to be annoying....the shop said they would fix it - don't sweat it.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:53 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

If setup right the gears should be quiet from first moment you drive the car, if they are nosiy/howling now it will not go away.
Bad install.

Info below after new gear install.

"All new gear sets require a break-in period to prevent damage from overheating. After driving the first 15 or 20 miles you must let the differential cool for 30-40 minutes before proceeding. Drive 500 easy miles before towing. Tow for very short distances (less than 15 miles) and let the differential cool before continuing during the first 45 towing miles. Change the gear oil after the first 500 miles. This will remove any metal particles or phosphorus coating that has come from the new gear set. [align=center]ANY OVERLOADING OR OVERHEATING CAN CAUSE THE GEAR OIL TO BREAKDOWN AND THE RING & PINION CAN FAIL.[/b] "[/align][align=center]http://www.differentials.com/install.html
[/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align][align=center][/align]
Old 08-13-2007, 04:12 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i just called richmond tech support. they said if after several heat cycles the whining hasn't died down even slightly then they need to be reset. he told me if the car gets close to 200 miles they are set for good and might as well be worthless if they are whining. i have over 100 on them now and they whine like the day i got them. tech support recommended we adjust the backlash. the mechanic went with the tightest allowable setting. 8 thousandths, on a range for 8-12. hopefully loosening the backlash will fix it.
Old 08-13-2007, 04:19 PM
TJ
4th Gear Member

If the whinng goes away I would be amazed lol

If I remember correctly 10.5 is what a gear installer recommended on Ricmondsfor 8.8 per his setup but that was for the last gen Mustang but I would think same 8.8 internals.

But like I said if I remember correctly?

Good luck look foward to seeing what the out come of this.

Quick Reply: Gear Whine =(