Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Gear Whine =(

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2007, 01:52 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default Gear Whine =(

Just had the 4.10's installed. Horror story. The guy that did it said that they're gears and other than the bearings they don't need to be broken in. As soon as the mechanic pulled it out, he romped on it. He didn't do a neutral drop, but he did pull it hard up and down. I felt ill seeing it. So sure enough, I'm driving home and they are howling like the supercharger in the Harley Davidson f-150. On wind up and wind down, not really on cruise. It's real bad. I called the guy up, he said to bring it in Monday (since they closed shortly after I left) and he would take care of it. He said they aren't supposed to howl (duh). I live about 35 miles from the place. It'll be 70 miles on the set by the time I get back. They're ruined aren't they?
Old 08-11-2007, 08:35 PM
Bluestar
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Gear Whine =(

They more than likely will have a bad wear pattern, they should be replaced with a new set. BTW, My installer would NEVER, install Richmond gears, and your problem is the reason. Good luck.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:26 AM
Norse1974
3rd Gear Member

Who installed them?Didnt I give you a guy with his own race shop that would install them for a really fair price?The gears are not ruined....You need them re-shimmed is all.Nothing wrong with Richmond gears either.Its a matter of preferance.I bought my Motives & EVERYONE said I would hate them but what do you know,a year later & they are fine & I get PMs all the time inquiring about them with people thinking they may go that route.Hey you could leave them alone & become the "Howling Mustang" or even start your own club called the "Howlers"!
Old 08-12-2007, 09:24 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

OP under what circumstances and at what speeds do you get whine? From maybe 40-70mph with my car under with very light throttle application I get singing...or is yours all speeds, all throttle positions?
Old 08-12-2007, 09:50 AM
moosestang
6th Gear Member

I told you the Richmonds would make noise. My frpp 4.10's make no noise at all.
Old 08-12-2007, 10:15 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i'm going in monday to have them reset to see if that fixes it. i shoulda gone to your guy norse! moose - it's not the richmond's, it's the install. i've seen richmond's that don't make a sound. i think it's thepinion depth, but who knows for sure. the whine is most prevalent above 40 mph on wind up and wind down, on cruise it's not as bad.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:15 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Everyone seems to slam the Richmond gears. Did you guys know they are the OEM manufacturer of the entire rear axle assemblies on the GT Stangs?
Old 08-13-2007, 12:18 AM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

you're right, some people do slam them. i've seen a lot of praise for them too, especially on other (more technical) forums. if richmonds were so bad, they wouldnt be in business, nor would they be the gear of choice for most race cars. the fact that they are our factory gears really interests me though! from all i've seen and heard i'm led to believe that it's all in the install.
Old 08-13-2007, 12:24 AM
jerjan
4th Gear Member

Based on what I have seen and heard, these 8.8" axles are a b*tch to get the gears set up so they run quiet. It doesn't seem to matter much who's gears are used.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:09 AM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

ORIGINAL: jerjan

Based on what I have seen and heard, these 8.8" axles are a b*tch to get the gears set up so they run quiet. It doesn't seem to matter much who's gears are used.
+1

Quick Reply: Gear Whine =(