Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Who is satisfied with their factory paint job?

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2007, 06:14 PM
LiLJimmyNorton

Default RE: Who is satisfied with their factory paint job?

ORIGINAL: s2k

Why did you buy the car if you saw it had imperfections in the 1st place?
We purchased the car later on a saturday night right before closing, The Car was not detailed and the salesman told us just to bring it back at our earliest convienence and they will detail it. It was stormy that day and all the cars looked the same, Dirty. It was a NEW car after all. Who would have ever figured it had paint problems. Believe me i will know better next time. Even now its hard to tell unless your looking for it.

i dont know how to imbed pics but here are some links. The pics have too much reflection to see the pits and the solvent pop but you can clearly see the overspray on the tailights and rear bumper ...

http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture049.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture063.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture065.jpg
http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture048.jpg
Old 08-12-2007, 06:17 PM
blaven
3rd Gear Member

Overall i'm happy with mine although i wish they would put more clear coat on it to protect it from everyday driving a bit more.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:26 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

At 1st I could not see the overspray and was like "this guys nuts" but its there in the picture and is prob even more evident in person. DO you live where there is bad weather, that could have messed the paint. Also what is orange peel?
Old 08-12-2007, 06:37 PM
LiLJimmyNorton

At 1st I could not see the overspray and was like "this guys nuts" but its there in the picture and is prob even more evident in person. DO you live where there is bad weather, that could have messed the paint. Also what is orange peel?
Im in Atlanta, Dealer says its acid rain but i dont think so, it looks like its below the clear coat, Im thinking something got on the base coat before the clear coat was applied but im no expert ...

Orange peel is usually caused when you apply too much paint during the painting process. The paint doesnt "Run" but it droops but it does so in a way that resembles an orange peel ...
Old 08-12-2007, 06:44 PM
s2k
5th Gear Member

Oh! I see now. Your right acid rain would only mess up the clear not the base, but im not expert either. Don't feel bad about pushing the subject the sticker on that stang must have been over 20k and idk what you paid but if I am paying 20k I expect what everyones else is getting not some lemon stang.
Old 08-12-2007, 06:56 PM
GT John
3rd Gear Member

Beside the Russian made YUGO.

The Mustangs paint job is the worst. Or, lack of paint.

I'm not complaining mind you I love this car and know that I'll have to get it painted in a few years.

But, I knew what I was getting into when I switched from GM to Ford. So, I'm not really surprised.

I waited for this car since 1964, would have bought it even it just had primer on it.
Old 08-12-2007, 07:00 PM
MarkGT

ORIGINAL: LiLJimmyNorton

Im in Atlanta, Dealer says its acid rain but i dont think so, it looks like its below the clear coat, Im thinking something got on the base coat before the clear coat was applied but im no expert ...

Orange peel is usually caused when you apply too much paint during the painting process. The paint doesnt "Run" but it droops but it does so in a way that resembles an orange peel ...
I bought an 07 Torch Red GT about 2 weeks ago, and I also had small crater like chips all over the car as well as some drooping on my rear bumper. I got tape and marked all the imperfections and took it to the dealer. They also blamed it on acid rain and jet fuel from a local military base. Needless to say I was pissed, i took it too the dealer last monday and I'm hoping to get it back this wednsday. I'll let you know how it turns out. I feel for you bro...
Old 08-12-2007, 07:05 PM
drbobvs
5th Gear Member

My paint is excellent, and i'm suprised how thick it is too. Last year I was selling my wife's '05 Lexus RX to a wholesaler. He showed up at my house and he had one of these gadgets that measures the paint thickness of the car. If it's thicker than normal, it's a hint that acar was repainted in an area. He asked me if my Lexus was repainted b/c the paint was unusually thick, I said no, b/c it was factory. He also believed me b/c it was thick on the entire car, not just one area. To double check, he went over to my Mustang and measured that. Low and behold, it was even thicker than my Lexus!!
Old 08-12-2007, 07:25 PM
LiLJimmyNorton

I bought an 07 Torch Red GT about 2 weeks ago, and I also had small crater like chips all over the car as well as some drooping on my rear bumper. I got tape and marked all the imperfections and took it to the dealer. They also blamed it on acid rain and jet fuel from a local military base. Needless to say I was pissed, i took it too the dealer last monday and I'm hoping to get it back this wednsday. I'll let you know how it turns out. I feel for you bro...
It sucks, i know how you feel... It makes me feel better to keep looking at this pic ... Sooooo sweet ... I think i get a woody whenever i see it ... http://i183.photobucket.com/albums/x...Picture065.jpg
Old 08-12-2007, 07:34 PM
3 STANGS
1st Gear Member

Sorry you got screwed on your paint job. I had an 06 Tungsten Grey and it was flawless. My Redfire had one door ding on the edge of the door (probablyhappened in transport). I havetons of compliments on the Redfire paint job before I had the graphic painted on.

Quick Reply: Who is satisfied with their factory paint job?