Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Planning on ripping out my Shaker 500, what should I get?

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 07:03 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Default RE: Planning on ripping out my Shaker 500, what should I get?

ORIGINAL: azstanglover

ORIGINAL: howarmat

just get the z1 for like 1500...yhou can update it to a z2

avic411.com for any more info
Why in the world would he want a Z-1 for that price?

http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_...r+AVIC-Z2.html
Has ducatiboy or anyone else got a bypass for the z2 yet? I havent checked the site in awhile. The z1 is easily bypassed is the only real reason to get the z1
Old 08-13-2007, 07:42 PM
azstanglover
2nd Gear Member

Don't know if they found a bypass for it or not. Some say they have some say they haven't.

I did see one bypass that involved changing the software. I'm not sure I would ever try that due to the potential for problems. When you start messing with software you never know what can happen.

At least with the Kenwood you can just ground the parking brake. A much better option.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:52 PM
lrgnation
4th Gear Member

About the 8's in the doors. Currently they are powered by there own amps which you will be unable to use if you change to a different head unit. Indash nav is the way to go. IMHO i like the alpine iva-w205. Because you can buy it for around $800 without the nav and if you choose to get the nav it uses the black bird II which is dockable inside just like you are popping in a cd/dvd. The blackbird 2 allows you to remove it and update on the computer and take into other vehicles as a portable if you would like. Also the alpine gives you the ability to use the h701 processor which in this cars case is almost something you WILL need if you want to run the 8's, front speakers, rear speakers, and subs.

Currently i am running a set of 6.5" CDT es-06+ where the 8's were and let me tell you they walk all over them and give me plenty of midbass. I have a set of 2" tweets where the 6x8's were. And I also have another 4" mid which is not here yet. The reason i do not have the 4" mid yet is because i need to get the indash with the h701 processor. But it's not on the top of my list right now. Power/Performance are far better options for my car.
Old 08-13-2007, 07:57 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

So you're saying everyone that puts in an aftermarker HU no longer has use of the 8s in the doors?

Oh, maybe I should be looking at component sets.
Old 08-13-2007, 08:00 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

I already replaced my 500 with a Pioneer 7800 with the iPod interface. Works great. I'm thinking about swapping it out with an Avic-D3 ... from what I've read it will pay video off of video iPods right on the display through the iPod controller. Also .. if it's important to you ...the D3 also has a superior iPod controller interface compared to the Z1/Z2 ...

Old 08-13-2007, 08:07 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE PICTURE!

Single Din kits looks good. Where did you get it from? (the kit)

Also, did you replace the stock speakers?

Lastly, do you know where I can get radio dissassembly directions?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:11 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: lrgnation

About the 8's in the doors. Currently they are powered by there own amps which you will be unable to use if you change to a different head unit. Indash nav is the way to go.
Not true at all, you can easily hook the amp turn on to the door subs and use them....almost everyone does.....
Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 PM
dmhines
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: Bmr4life

THANK YOU VERY MUCH FOR THE PICTURE!

Single Din kits looks good. Where did you get it from? (the kit)

Also, did you replace the stock speakers?

Lastly, do you know where I can get radio dissassembly directions?

I bought the entire setup from Crutchfield. Included full install kit, harness, bezel, etc ... everything necessary for the install including very nice installation instructions on how to take apart the Mustang Dash and Door panels. Whats nice is everything is included free when you buy a head unit. I also replaced the door and rear speakers with matching Pioneer speakers.

And in reply to previous message ... any head unit can power-on the S500 subs in the doors .... and the Crutchfield kits includes the necessary RCA jacks and such to attach the S500 subs. Just don't forget the 5V regulator to prevent the POP ... do a search about it ...
Old 08-13-2007, 08:17 PM
Bmr4life
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: howarmat

ORIGINAL: lrgnation

About the 8's in the doors. Currently they are powered by there own amps which you will be unable to use if you change to a different head unit. Indash nav is the way to go.
Not true at all, you can easily hook the amp turn on to the door subs and use them....almost everyone does.....
Thanks. I'll be installing my Kenwood MP-732 this weekend. What special wiring do I need to do?
Old 08-13-2007, 08:54 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Not even got my stang yet but I have a plan to put an incar PC in it. I like my gadgets and its a project I can do myself will have more functionality than the Avic's etc and be cheaper too. Also appeals to the Computer geek still in me since I used to do Computer Games Tech at Univeristy before changing to my Mechanical Engineering degree.

Quick Reply: Planning on ripping out my Shaker 500, what should I get?