Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Moisture forming under carpet in trunk

Search this Thread

Old 08-13-2007, 02:02 PM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default Moisture forming under carpet in trunk

Hey guys,

I recently got my carback from the dealer after having the interior fixed up since it had gotten broken into. Well, they missed 2 parts that were damaged but were able to order them and I'll have to go back once they come in to get them replaced. One of the parts was the panel that goes across the inside of the trunk that covers the tail lights (so I know the dealer didn't bother doing anything inside the trunk).

Now, my issue. Two days after getting my car back, I was looking inside the trunk and felt that the carpeting in the both wheel wells was moist, and when I lifted the edges up there were significant beads of water underneith. I wiped it away thinking that would solve the problem, but it still seems like the carpet won't dry and it's starting to smell like mildew...

Anyone else ever hear of this? We've had some humid days and my car is usually parked outside, could it just be from the humidity? I can't imagine a trunk would really get enough water like that to make it have a mildew smell. I guess I'm left with waiting until I go back to the dealer but this just really seems like a strange issue.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:11 PM
sactown
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Moisture forming under carpet in trunk

I don't know if this could be a cause of the problem but might be worth checking, if you open up the truck on the right and left hand corners of the truck nearest to the back window and along the seam inbetween leaves and other crap will collect there and prevent the water from draining correctly, you might check that out and makesure its clean.
Old 08-13-2007, 02:33 PM
Tungsten06GT
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Moisture forming under carpet in trunk

I'll double check, but I'm pretty sure it's all cleaned out. Nothing has been changed since I dropped my car off at the dealer.

Sequence of events: My car is fine, my car gets broken into, amp rack and sub box stolen, dropped car at dealer, got car back, moisture now formed under the carpet in the wheel wells where the amp rack and sub box were.

It has only rained once since I've gotten it back. The dealer didn't fix the trunk release lever (what the theives used to pop my trunk). Do you think with it being lose, maybe there's a lose seal to the trunk now?