Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Guys, WTF does this mean???

Old 08-13-2007, 05:24 PM
Jito007
2nd Gear Member

Default RE: Guys, WTF does this mean???

just a ? the only time I dont hear any sounds from out back is when I double clutch when I downshift not when I am upshifting
Old 08-13-2007, 06:11 PM
sleeper2
3rd Gear Member

Jito, the stock two-piece driveshaft with your GT with its inherent slack/slopfunctions as an excellent "smooth shifting" indicator. When shifting, you'll find you might have to feather the clutch (just a bit, a little bit) and match the revs a bit closer to keep the drive train quiet. After a short time, you won't even know you're doing it. This is not such a bad thing, it forces you to drive smoother. There's nothing wrong with double clutching, but it isn't necessary and might delay development of smooth shifting (at the beginning).Why do I care about smooth shifting? Because I feel that as the HP and speeds climb, smooth shifting is what prolongs the life of my drive train.

Sleeper2
Old 08-13-2007, 11:24 PM
tsquare

I learned to double clutch in the '60s on MGs and the like that didn't have 1st gear shynchros, or after the second and third gear synchros would go out. The purpose is to match the engine/transmission RPMs when downshifting under load. As you shift up through the gears (unless you are power shifting) the engine drops down a few hundred RPMs to the bottom of the next gear (granny shifting). Down shifting is the reverse of this process, you want raise the engine the same few hundred RPMs for the lowergear.

With the modern transmissions all you need to do is "blip" the accelerator as you move down to rev the engine to the top RPM of the lower gear for engine braking. Properly done, downshifting can feel as smooth as an automatic, and reduces stress on the drive train.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:47 AM
chp2150
1st Gear Member

By double clutching on the downshift, ie: reving in neutral to speed match the downshift, is a lot easier on the synchros because you are not relying on them to spin up the lower gear set so the gears will mesh. If you want to see a excellent example of double clutching and heel-toe shifting, go rent a copy of Grand Prix. The old formula one cars were something to see back then. There are excellent scenes of inside the cockpit of the cars during the races. And yes, I usually double clutch the down shift, especially if I'm next to rice, cuz I'm old and know how! It also makes canyon driving a blast!

I grew up in SoCal driving a Triumph TR-4 on the canyon roads in the late 60's early 70's (Mulholland, Topanga, etc) and the syncros in that thing were an after thought.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 AM
seniorsmith
3rd Gear Member

For a smoothdownshift:
[ol][*]Press inthe clutch[*]Downshift[*]"Blip" the gas pedal[*]Smoothly release the clutch[/ol]

This is not technically "double clutching." After time, you'll do it without thinking.

Or say your going to pass someone and want to blow their doors off. Example: Your in 5th, doing about 40mph. 1. Depress clutch 2. Put her 2nd 3. Quickly throttle it to about 3,500rpms 4. Smoothly release the clutch and hammer the throttle as 2nd engages...

Again, after some time you'll become familiar with gearspeed andrpm...

REMEMBER: You'll want to do this smooth and relatively quick as the longeryou hold theclutch (especially at moderate to high speeds)the faster you'll be replacing it.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:19 AM
Jito007
2nd Gear Member

^^^ yea thats what I've been doing I guess not necessarily double clutching well I blip in neutral not while my foot is on the clutch so n/m i guess it is double clutching
Old 08-14-2007, 09:43 AM
mygt500
Multi-Tasking Moderator!

If you dont have a tune the RPM's tend to hang on our drive by wire cars anyway. Forget about double clutching! Just down shift and upshift when necessary and you are fine. JMO
Old 08-14-2007, 10:40 AM
GT06GT
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: seniorsmith

For a smoothdownshift:
[ol][*]Press inthe clutch[*]Downshift[*]"Blip" the gas pedal[*]Smoothly release the clutch[/ol]

This is not technically "double clutching." After time, you'll do it without thinking.

Or say your going to pass someone and want to blow their doors off. Example: Your in 5th, doing about 40mph. 1. Depress clutch 2. Put her 2nd 3. Quickly throttle it to about 3,500rpms 4. Smoothly release the clutch and hammer the throttle as 2nd engages...
Why would you be in 5th at 40? you would be at like 1100 rpms and waste more gas trying to keep the car going 40 then keeping it in 4th

and also your way of doing it defeats the whole purpose of reving to save the synchros since you put it in gear before you rev. The rpms hang sooooo long on these cars, even with my tune, that you shouldnt have a problem at all doing it like

1. press in the clutch
2. rev the car accordingly,about 1-200 rpmsbeyond what the rpms are suppose to be for your proper gearto account for shifting time
3 put the car in the gear you want, you will notice it falls right in since the rpms are matched
4. you should be able to let the clutch go fairly quickly, the rpms are matched so you dont need to feather it in, as doing this will only allow more rpms to drop and cause your revs to be unmatched
Old 08-14-2007, 10:55 AM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fordfanboy

WTF? Why would you EVER double clutch in a car? Geez - I like to use the clutch as little as possible...lol

Didn't you ever watch Bullit??? Steve was double clutching that '68-390 when he was after the bad guys.
Old 08-14-2007, 03:05 PM
Rainson
3rd Gear Member

so....I don't know how to teach double cluching down shift..
check out this VID..http://video.google.com/videoplay?do...88575741675515

actually I don;t use that often when I drive on street,but on track.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Guys, WTF does this mean???