Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Saving Gas Mileage in a manual by using the stick...

Search this Thread

Old 08-14-2007, 07:01 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

Default RE: Saving Gas Mileage in a manual by using the stick...

highest gear possible. use your info center to see how much fuel economy you get at each speed and gear. like someone else said, you don't want to lug the engine/gears, it's bad for the car. since you are manual here is a good rule of thumb (on stock 3.55 gears):

1st up to 10, 2nd up to 20, 3rd up to 30, 4th up to 40, 5th beyond that for max mileage.

the manual actually has shift specifications for maximum efficiency and they are basically that.

of course if you want to do 70 or 80, it might make sense to get a little more speed out of each gear so you don't have to mash 5th at 40 unless you don't mind getting up to speed real slow instead.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:20 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastmxer9

ORIGINAL: wozz

Some people also think coasting helps save gas and there wrong. If you coast you will use up more gas than if you left it in gear.
could you explain how that works?
To do with the way the ecu works and how it controls the injectors. If i remember correctly the idea is that when your in gear your usually sustaining a higher rpm but not needing the throttle so the ecu is smart enough to only inject as much fuel as is needed. Where as when you coast the revs drop right down and it injects more thinking your going to need more fuel to pull away as your revs are lower and you use more fuel in those initial few seconds when pulling away than you do once moving.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:25 PM
fastmxer9
1st Gear Member

I see. That sounds logical.
Old 08-14-2007, 07:43 PM
s197richie
I ♥ Acer

I guess since somewhere on the web right now there's a bunch of honda guys trying to get mustang-like power from their 4bangers, it's okay for us to be talking about getting better mpg from our mustangs?
Old 08-14-2007, 07:45 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

if you coast to a stop it doesn't use any fuel. in fact, once coasting, and the revs drop, the only fuel used is that to support idle. if more fuel was added you would see the engine rev up.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:05 PM
fastmxer9
1st Gear Member

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

if you coast to a stop it doesn't use any fuel. in fact, once coasting, and the revs drop, the only fuel used is that to support idle. if more fuel was added you would see the engine rev up.
I agree with you
Old 08-14-2007, 08:08 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: fastmxer9

ORIGINAL: lldsandsll

I agree with you
you are wise beyond your years
Old 08-14-2007, 08:10 PM
ohsixgt1217
4th Gear Member

Coasting does not use more fuel. You can tell this one of two ways, either just look at the mpg on your dash when you coast and you will see it goes up above 40-50 mpg. or just try it for a full tank.

Ive tried to conserve a full tank of gas before (broke college student) and i have gotten 24 mpg in my GT around the city with NO highway driving. Just pop it in neutral and coast to lights, above 40 mph have it in 5th, and try to keep the rpms as low as you can. Sure people behind me get alittle pissed when i put it in neutral if i see a red light a half mile in front of me, but who cares, their gunna stop anyway!
Old 08-14-2007, 08:11 PM
wozz
2nd Gear Member

Was on one of these things about teaching fluid driving it said coasting is worse on gas mileage. Seen it on a few things now. Jeremy clarkson said the same about an Audi when he attempted to get from london to scotland and back on 1 tank of fuel (800 or so miles) Which he did.
Old 08-14-2007, 08:13 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i was referring to coasting to a stop. it doesn't make sense to coast, then gas it to get back up to speed, then coast, then gas it, etc... but coasting in general puts the least effort in, the car is idling.

Quick Reply: Saving Gas Mileage in a manual by using the stick...