Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Speaker upgrade help please

Search this Thread

Old 08-15-2007, 08:06 PM
BLD06GTVert
1st Gear Member

Default Speaker upgrade help please

I'm looking at replacing the speakers in my 06 GT Vert.

I've read through a bunch of posts on the subject, but most of them are over my head. I know nothing about car audio. So, the posts about ohms, impedence, dB's, bridges, yada yada...don't help me much.

What I'm looking for is a relatively low cost upgrade to the front speakers...say $200+/-

Can anyone recommend a specific speaker set that you know fits, without a bunch of hacking and headaches? Pretty much plug-n-play would be great!

My car currently has the Shaker 500 system.

Thanks in advance![/align]
Old 08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
Live Wire
1st Gear Member

Default RE: Speaker upgrade help please

Look at Crutchfield's website. They'll list the size and depths for all the speakers.

Curious though, are you not a fan of the factory speakers?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:11 PM
pegasusphototx
2nd Gear Member

For plug and play, you can't go wrong with 4 - Boston Acoustic SX85's. I had those in my front for a while, but then went with the BA SX50's 5 1/4" component speakers up front and the SX85's in the rear. Since you won't probably want to buy and adapter plate and go through the effort of adapting the SX50 for the front, just go with 4 SX85's all around. I also swapped out the HU with a Kenwood HU, these changes alone really woke up the stereo like you wouldn't imagine!

-danny
Old 08-15-2007, 08:12 PM
BLD06GTVert
1st Gear Member

They soundok, but just ok. They are also butt ugly, LOL
Old 08-15-2007, 08:14 PM
BLD06GTVert
1st Gear Member

Ok, I'll check those BA's out.

Anyone else have a plug-n-play option for me??

Thanks guys!
[/align]
Old 08-15-2007, 08:16 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

ORIGINAL: Live Wire

Look at Crutchfield's website. They'll list the size and depths for all the speakers.

Curious though, are you not a fan of the factory speakers?
hehe....they get the job done for awhile but they are really **** when you compare them to just about any aftermarket 5x7/6x8 speaker. The subs are decent but not the greatest either but they are not a direct replacement other 4 speakers.
Old 08-15-2007, 08:40 PM
IrishGoalie31

I was gonna ask the same question (Plus some), so I guess I'll just add on in here. As far as install, how hard is it to install new speakers? (I'm 17 and every mod I do will be my first time doing it, so I'll be asking stupid questions sometimes ). My other question is about the door subs...Can I replace them with any 8" sub, or is there some other specification that I need to look at when looking for the new sub(s)?

Thanks, and sorry for lowering the IQ in this thread [8D]

Old 08-15-2007, 08:45 PM
xdmanalo

I replaced my stock set with JL Audio model VR650-CSI. I do not know you expections when you replace your speakers, but this set provides a 'night and day' difference from stock. However, it is not plug-n-play. Current market value is sub $200 +installation.

I installed these myself, but had to fabricate a bracket to hold the component set-up (i.e.- the tweeter is seperate from the woofer). So I guess, if you're willing to pay for installation, this is yet another model to consider. Good luck with your search!
Old 08-15-2007, 08:57 PM
lldsandsll
4th Gear Member

i read a real old thread, and the 8 inch subs in the door have almost no speakers that will fit in their place. as for the ones that fit w/out modification, MTX makes a set of 8's that are single voice coil and from the thunder series, $36 each:

http://www.electronicexpress.com/pro...er=6&cpc=6

i like mtx speakers, i had two 12's in my last stang and they make good quality bass. get an amp to power em.

that's what i plan on getting.
Old 08-15-2007, 09:00 PM
xdmanalo

I was a newb not too long ago myself. I was able to replace my headunit, door speakers, and add a sub to the trunk after doing some research and getting some help from the guys here. I have some instructions on how to remove the factory headunit and door speakers. PM me if you would like to have a copy.

Crutchfield and other google search results will yield proper speaker sizes for each area of the car with relative ease. Good luck to you and have fun with all the modding!

Quick Reply: Speaker upgrade help please