Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic to Manuel conversion swap! SOLUTION HERE..I think

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-2007, 04:04 PM
GidyupGo
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Automatic to Manuel conversion swap! SOLUTION HERE..I think

ORIGINAL: kenthicken

A swap for an S197? Would be cheaper to just sell the car and buy a car with the stick...

Not even close. If you bought the car new, you lost depreciation, and if you buy the other car, you pay markup. Really depends on the price, but if it was more that say $8K,selling itmight be the way to go. In the end, given enough time and money, anything is possible.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:25 PM
wmtheflash
3rd Gear Member

I'm with others on this site. My '06 is paid off, I'm sure if I wanted a manual then I could trade in for a used 2005. It would be much, much cheaper.

If I wanted to give it a shot, then I'd only do it on a car that's paid off and if I planned on keeping it forever. Alternatively, if it were a 20 year old car you had paid next to nothing for, then it might make sense.

Your trade in value and even your private party resale value would drop like a rock. The depreciation on the car with the swapped transmission would be absolutely brutal, far less than taking a hit and trading the current vehicle in.

Ask yourself, if you could pay blue book for any Mustang, then why would you pick one that's had a tranmssion swap?
Old 08-16-2007, 04:28 PM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

It's illogical and irrational to spend $3000+ changing a transmission on an S197, when you could pretty much just sell the auto and buy a manual for the same price (excluding tax). As far as the argument that, "some people are attached to their cars," why not just get attached to a new car with a manual instead?

You can't be attached to a car your whole life; it's not a person, and it wont last that long (unless you're already like 80 when you buy the car). And most people can't even stay with the same person their whole life!

Anyway, I just wanted to point out that, unless it's a hobby, changing the transmission type would make no logical sense and if one were to do that, they likely lackadequate reasoning ability and a complete thought process.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:43 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

I converted one of my rides to manual from Auto. Not a Mustang, but a Ford, although it's largely irrelevant except that this was an old school ride, no electronics to further confuse the issue, which they will.
Anyways, it isn't the most difficult thing in the world if, as previously mentioned, you have a doner car to hand, which I did mercifully. Geez, when I think back to how many times I walked to that poor doner car to raid another part, it was relentless. Additionally, it's good to have the doner car as a reference for how some of the funky parts fit.

So, put simply, either get somebody else to do it for a FIXED price or don't bother. Seriously, it'll be a whole Sh!tfest if you try to do it without a doner. You'll be back and forth to the stealership so many times they'll give you frequent-flyer points.
Old 08-16-2007, 04:43 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

i think he put it out there for info not to be ripped by ******** just a thought
Old 08-16-2007, 04:50 PM
nkx1
2nd Gear Member

[sm=icon_blah.gif]

Oh, I thought it was the latter. My bad!
Old 08-16-2007, 04:51 PM
marcuskeeler
5th Gear Member

i think he put it out there for info not to be ripped by ******** just a thought
I don't want to fan the flaming, but actually, the most informative part of the reply from the company concerned was ommittedwhich is kinda weird, I can't really see the point of the thread [&:]
Old 08-16-2007, 05:27 PM
Fizzie06
3rd Gear Member

oh no he got his facts wrong but its honest mistake i believe not that his car has 600RWHP N/A you know what I mean...he was trying to be helpful....
Old 08-16-2007, 05:57 PM
8178A
3rd Gear Member

It would be worth it to dump the auto at any cost!
Old 08-16-2007, 06:07 PM
howarmat
s197 Junkie

Not worth the swap IMO....you will need a new ECU amongst other expensive parts that cant be swapped out easily....if you wanted a manual, BUY ONE FROM THE BEGINNING......otherwise be happy with what you got and mod the **** out of it!

Quick Reply: Automatic to Manuel conversion swap! SOLUTION HERE..I think