Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Power with Cams

Search this Thread

Old 08-20-2007, 12:39 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

Default Power with Cams

Here's what I've done so far:
Pulleys
Full exhaust with LT's and MagnaFlows
Custom Crower Cams (similar to CompCams stage 3)
CMCV delete plates
WMS CAI and SCT custom tuning
(I've done a bunch of other things, but they don't affect power)

Before I did the CMCV's my best was 342 to the wheels (319 tq). After CMCV's it was 350 rwhp (actually 350.2) and 329 tq. That's about 411 at the crank. The interesting thing is I couldn't do any tuning after the CMCV's because my SCT tuner took a crap, so the increase is literally bolt-on. It was also very hot and humid (Houston, go figure) so it'll be interesting to see if I can squeeze out more with additional tuning.

I know there's a lot of nay-sayers with respect to cams, but if tuned properly (requires a tuner that knows how to tweak the valve timing logic) and combined with the right parts, there's a bunch of power to be had. Before I added the cams and CMCV delete's, my best was 306 rwhp. Total investment for power parts, including tuning,is just about $3800. A lot of that is labor, as everything was professionally installed. If you're reasonably handy, have the tools and the time, you could save close to $1000 or more, although I'd leave the cam install to a pro in any case.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:47 AM
ohnoesaz
5th Gear Member

Default RE: Power with Cams

Ive always wanted cams but have been skeptical because many people have had problems without the proper tuning. I was once quoted $1K just for the extensive tuning needs with cams. I like your results, I think n/a is the most badass thing ever.

At $3800 it seems like a cheaper supercharger setup could be had for the same price and pull more power.... But again, n/a sure is cool if you can pull it off.
Old 08-20-2007, 12:57 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

Ive always wanted cams but have been skeptical because many people have had problems without the proper tuning. I was once quoted $1K just for the extensive tuning needs with cams. I like your results, I think n/a is the most badass thing ever.

At $3800 it seems like a cheaper supercharger setup could be had for the same price and pull more power.... But again, n/a sure is cool if you can pull it off.
I'm not sure where you can get a SC and the tuning done for less than $3800 or even for less than $5000. At 350 rwhp, I'm nearly onpar with a standard set-up from Roush. But I still agree a SC still wins the bang for buck battle especially when considering the fact that you can always add more power later with different pulleys, andgas mileage doesn't take much of a hit, etc (I get about 14/19 mpg, but my commute is short so it's no biggie). But, I like the NA route, and of course the big block sound I get from the cams is the most soothing thing after work (not to mention the slight massage it gives me sitting at lights!). Other fun things with cams is thatI can set off all the alarms in the parking garage at work without even trying - priceless!

Also, Fast Lane in Houston knows how to tune these things and won't charge you $1000 to do it.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:33 AM
olvanish
3rd Gear Member

Did your idle speed have to be adjusted to like 1400 rpm? Or did getting these cams affect your gas mileage in a bad way?
Old 08-20-2007, 01:38 AM
Apoptosis
poptart tits

@ Rat: Get some Steeda Motor Mounts if you want a massage at the light.

Don't forget gears dude! And Spray! A 75 shot would be awesome for that setup, and is doable without a tune!
Old 08-20-2007, 01:58 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: olvanish

Did your idle speed have to be adjusted to like 1400 rpm? Or did getting these cams affect your gas mileage in a bad way?
It still idles at 900ish (whatever the stock setting is). The cams definitely took a bite out of the mileage, no doubt about that. Before the cams I was getting slightly less than stock mileage (due to the exhaust, gear,and tune I suppose), but it dropped about 5 mpg across the board after the cams.
Old 08-20-2007, 01:58 AM
ratnacage
3rd Gear Member

ORIGINAL: KTownGT

@ Rat: Get some Steeda Motor Mounts if you want a massage at the light.

Don't forget gears dude! And Spray! A 75 shot would be awesome for that setup, and is doable without a tune!
I have 4.10 gears (see sig), but I'm kinda scared of N2O.
Old 08-20-2007, 04:50 AM
white07
4th Gear Member

ORIGINAL: ratnacage

ORIGINAL: ohnoesaz

I'm not sure where you can get a SC and the tuning done for less than $3800 or even for less than $5000. At 350 rwhp, I'm nearly onpar with a standard set-up from Roush. But I still agree a SC still wins the bang for buck battle especially when considering the fact that you can always add more power later with different pulleys, andgas mileage doesn't take much of a hit, etc (I get about 14/19 mpg, but my commute is short so it's no biggie). But, I like the NA route, and of course the big block sound I get from the cams is the most soothing thing after work (not to mention the slight massage it gives me sitting at lights!). Other fun things with cams is thatI can set off all the alarms in the parking garage at work without even trying - priceless!

Also, Fast Lane in Houston knows how to tune these things and won't charge you $1000 to do it.
Im planning on getting my car tuned there. It will probably be after christmas b/c I want to get a Zex kit installed 1st.