Notices
2005-2014 Mustangs Discussions on the latest S197 model Mustangs from Ford.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

H&R coilovers or Tokico D Specs/eibach?

Search this Thread

Old 08-21-2007, 04:40 PM
05gtdriver
5th Gear Member

Default RE: H&R coilovers or Tokico D Specs/eibach?

Eibachhas a new coil-over setup for the S197. Matched-up dampers, specific front rates, progressive rear rates and the ability to adjust from 1.2" to 2.3" front and 1.4"-2.1" out back, I think they run a grand are so..................just a little FYI
Old 09-08-2007, 07:48 PM
lamski

I can answer your question....I had the H&R coilovers for nearly a year and just removed them. I had Vogtland springs and D-Specs installed in their place earlier today. I had the H&R's removed because they are simply too stiff for everyday use. I had them height adjusted as high as possible to allow max compression in the springs but it simply was not enough. The reason is the front springs have a spring rate of 400 pounds (verified by H&R's customer service number). Stock springs are under 200 lbs (closer to 150 lbsI believe) and most of the popular aftermarket lowering springs are in the 250 lbs range. Driving everyday on L.A. streets was a bone jarring experience and I simply had enough. Despite my review, though, I am not bashing the H&Rs. They are a terrific setup for a more aggressive street or track application. At 75mph+ they really shine - the turn-in is sharp and the body motion is really controlled well. In fact, if you want a completely flat cornering experience, the H&R's deliver. Also, the adjustable ride height gives you the option of really dropping your car if you want that look (but ride quality suffers the lower you go).

I have 20 miles on the Tokico/Vogtland setup with the D-Specs at full firm. Even at full firm, the ride is more supple than the H&R's. I will experiment with 3-4 turns like most people recommend on this board to see what I like best. The Vogtlands have a front spring rate of 251 lbs andrear springsof 229 lbs. (info obtainedfrom Vogtland's customer service dept). As far as the downside, I immediately felt more body roll on a curved freeway on ramp but I will gladly give this up in favor of the comfy ride. In the short time I've driven the Tokico's, I have no doubt the H&Rs would make for a faster autocross car with the decreased body roll and razor sharp reflexes.

Finally, I am goingto sell the H&R'son soon. Let me know if you are interested in buying them before Ilist them for auction.I'm looking to get $800 for the kit.
Old 09-08-2007, 10:24 PM
jro183

Thanks for the insight Lamski. I do appreciate it. I have already ordered some D-specs. What reasons did you go with the Vogtlands?

J.R.
Denver, CO
Old 09-09-2007, 12:51 AM
lamski

JRO183,
I considered the Eibach Pro-Kit springs, Steeda Sports, and the Vogtlands. All 3 are reputable manufacturers and their spring rates are all in the same range (about 250 lbs.) so I figured the ride quality of each would be similar.

Eibach's are a little to low and I was afraid of scraping on driveways. They drop the car over 1.5 inches. If you look at some of the photos on these forums of S197 cars with the Pro-Kits, they look a little low. The Steeda Sports drop the car about 1" which is probably okay, but maybe not enough for most of us. The Vogtlands drop the car 1.25". These sound like hardly any difference in ride heights, but a 1/4 or a 1/2 inch really does make a difference in looks and scraping.

I think the only downside of the Vogtlands is they are a relatively unknown brand in this country, but I have come across them in the past quite a bit when I used to own a VW GTi. They are pretty well known amongst the German car tuners and they areTUV certified as is Eibach and H&R.